Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

When ever you get a D man that can average .456 points / game over a lengthy career; you know you have a very good one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

The fact that he's sneaking up on burr with a similar number of games played goes to show how great a defenseman Edler has been for us. He had a few rocky years there after major back surgery, but man has he ever been good outside of those few years.

As what I've always said about Edler... he can play like a #1 defenseman... when he isn't expected to be the #1 guy.  

He played some of his best hockey when was the #2 shutdown guy, when players like Ohlund, Mitchell, and Hamhuis were the primary shutdown defenseman.

He also played some of his best hockey when was the #2 offensive guy, when Ehrhoff and Salo were the primary threats from the blueline.  

Since the current roster is significantly stronger than recent years, he seems to play a bit more relaxed and confident... like he doesn't have to struggle to carry the team on his shoulders.  

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

As what I've always said about Edler... he can play like a #1 defenseman... when he isn't expected to be the #1 guy.  

He played some of his best hockey when was the #2 shutdown guy, when players like Ohlund, Mitchell, and Hamhuis were the primary shutdown defenseman.

He also played some of his best hockey when was the #2 offensive guy, when Ehrhoff and Salo were the primary threats from the blueline.  

Since the current roster is significantly stronger than recent years, he seems to play a bit more relaxed and confident... like he doesn't have to struggle to carry the team on his shoulders.  

#team sport

It's almost like the quality of your team mates has an effect on your play...

;)

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Cup2022 said:

He would look good on pp #2

6 points in 6 games suggests he already looks good on PP1.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Lancaster said:

This is a good take on it.

Plus this year Edler does not have to be the only physical D man we have.  Myers and Benn both help in that regard.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

6 points in 6 games suggests he already looks good on PP1.

He only has power play points in one game just give aways on the power play in the other five lol

• Upvote 1

Playing Edler 25 minutes  a game won't work over a season. It is early yet and I can understand why Green is doing this but at some point he has to be eased back to 

20 - 22 TOI. At the 15 - 20 game mark we will see changes. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Playing Edler 25 minutes  a game won't work over a season. It is early yet and I can understand why Green is doing this but at some point he has to be eased back to 

Agreed, it's a long season and if they do make the playoffs it would be nice to have the Eagle rested a little through the year.

I'm glad he is getting love though, I quite often have to defend the guy while I wear my Edler jersey.

Sure he never quite became a top tier true number one, but the guy has been a stud for us for a very long time.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, ItalianCanuck1 said:

Is Edler playing his best hockey?  It’s like Myers is the perfect partner for Edler. 

On 10/20/2019 at 11:01 AM, Kosmo Kramer said:

Agreed, it's a long season and if they do make the playoffs it would be nice to have the Eagle rested a little through the year.

I'm glad he is getting love though, I quite often have to defend the guy while I wear my Edler jersey.

Sure he never quite became a top tier true number one, but the guy has been a stud for us for a very long time.

In some hearts (including mine), he became a top tier true number one.

i love you GIF

Edited by Cocolocci

Don’t think enough has been said about Edler signing a very team friendly contract. Sure he gets to choose where he play and he makes shiploads of money, but it’s still way below market value and the term is just simply him doing what’s best for the team. Good on him and good on JB. 

Also - if he doesn’t sign that contract and as early as he did, how many of Miller, Ferland, Myers, Boeser and Benn would be on the team now?

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

On 10/19/2019 at 7:47 AM, Boudrias said:

His ice time has actually gone up since then. :shock:

4 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

His ice time has actually gone up since then. :shock:

Baumgartner has been poorly managing the minutes for the D-core.  Surprised that he got an extension, if anything, this year should've been a wait and see kind of year.

I look squarely at the Bo Horvat penalty and how that was managed from the bench.  That unit including Edler and Tanev got stuck on the PK for the full 2 mins duration.  Beagle takes a penalty, and Baumer elects to send Edler and Tanev right back out.  They were clearly gassed leading to Tanev getting hurt by a shot, and Edler looking totally spent.

TG and Baumer need to manage minutes wayyyy better.  We have the depth now, time to use it.  If they aren't careful Edler is going to get hurt and it will be one that should've been avoided by limiting his minutes.

• Upvote 1

Edler is what you see.  A body filling a position with flashes of brilliance now and again.  The biggest setback in my opinion is him taking unnecessary penalties.  If you have chased a guy into the corner great.  Staple him there or get back into position and let the back checkers take over.  He ends up reaching and hooking time and time again.  Then realizes he is out of position.  This could be said for all our defense but it seems Edler is good for one or two bonehead penalties a game.  The PK, although pretty good just can't be relied on to bail him out.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Edler is what you see.  A body filling a position with flashes of brilliance now and again.  The biggest setback in my opinion is him taking unnecessary penalties.  If you have chased a guy into the corner great.  Staple him there or get back into position and let the back checkers take over.  He ends up reaching and hooking time and time again.  Then realizes he is out of position.  This could be said for all our defense but it seems Edler is good for one or two bonehead penalties a game.  The PK, although pretty good just can't be relied on to bail him out.

Edler has always taken bad penalties (kind of like Henrik), but he seems to get in trouble more often this season.  I was hoping that the coaches would play him more reasonable minutes, but I think they are sheltering Quinn (for the time being) and don't really want to rely too much on Benn.