The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

On 8/27/2020 at 11:45 PM, King Heffy said:

Ohlund's still #1 in my books.  Jovo was flashier but Ohlund was an absolute stud behind a group of forwards that wasn't known for their backchecking.  Edler is #2 for sure though and my mind might be changed by the end of these playoffs.  He's been outstanding despite the moaning in the GDT.

Ohlund was a horse, shift after shift, Played hard and consistent that's why Tampa wanted him so badly after they drafted and signed Hedman, to tutor him ... that seemed to have worked well. It worked well for Edler too

Edited by Fred65

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Have to wonder if Edler will hang the laces up this year or the next. Wouldn't surprise me if he pulled something similar to the Sedins.

Gonna be sad to see him gone. The last guy from the 2011 squad. It will truly mark the end of an entire era.

Similar to the twins, because he's still a good player it would leave a hole on the roster, though of course he would also free up some cap space. Unless he has a fantastic year, I expect re-signing him would be pretty cheap though.

The Sedins were about 37.5 when they played their last game and if Edler retired at the end of this year, he'd be about 35, so he'd definitely be leaving years on the table. I'd say he'll look for a 1- or 2-year deal. If it's 2 years, I suspect that'll be the last one of his career. As much as I'd love Edler to continue to push Canuck records, I don't see him playing late into his 30s or til 40, though I do believe he'd be capable of it.

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Similar to the twins, because he's still a good player it would leave a hole on the roster, though of course he would also free up some cap space. Unless he has a fantastic year, I expect re-signing him would be pretty cheap though.

The Sedins were about 37.5 when they played their last game and if Edler retired at the end of this year, he'd be about 35, so he'd definitely be leaving years on the table. I'd say he'll look for a 1- or 2-year deal. If it's 2 years, I suspect that'll be the last one of his career. As much as I'd love Edler to continue to push Canuck records, I don't see him playing late into his 30s or til 40, though I do believe he'd be capable of it.

I wonder what he'll eventually decide to do.

We could use him for another year after this one. I reckon that 2 years is enough time for Juolevi/Rathbone to be good enough to take up more responsibility.

If he does retire at the end of this year then maybe bringing in Tryamkin for 2021-22 could help. If Hamonic plays well we'd have the cap to re-sign him too.

Overall we'll have options whatever way Edler goes.

• Cheers 1

I for one hope he has a couple years left in him.

Hughes will likely change this, but Edler is, at this point, clearly the best D man this franchise has ever had and, so far, has continued to play at a very high level (despite not getting respect from many for doing so).

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I for one hope he has a couple years left in him.

Hughes will likely change this, but Edler is, at this point, clearly the best D man this franchise has ever had and, so far, has continued to play at a very high level (despite not getting respect from many for doing so).

He'll have another solid year. Having Schmidt as his partner will make his life a lot easier, although I hope Eagle gets up in the play still and unloads one of his cannons.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He'll have another solid year. Having Schmidt as his partner will make his life a lot easier, although I hope Eagle gets up in the play still and unloads one of his cannons.

I think he is most effective at 20 TOI. He was having a great year last year. We know what he can do. Edler, Schmidt, Myers, Hamonic and OJ are big boys and pretty mobile.  

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think he is most effective at 20 TOI. He was having a great year last year. We know what he can do. Edler, Schmidt, Myers, Hamonic and OJ are big boys and pretty mobile.  

For sure. His ice time will be much better managed this year with this defense. Which looks to be the best in a long time. 

• 2 weeks later...

With Juolevi, Chatfield growing their game, and Schmidt really giving us more flexibility, I hope Baumgartner elects to minimize Edler's minutes. 

Not because he hasn't been good but I find Edler's decision making and overall game is better when he isn't hitting 20+ minutes. Allowing him to be 18-20 keeps him fresh. What a warrior he has been for this team, losing him last night really stretched the blueline and you still see the impact he has.

I'd like to see him and Chatfield together more often, Chatfield has this scrappiness and good skating that sorta matches Stecher's style which will help out Edler.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It annoys me that our fans can't see Alex's value. Never mind the fact that last contract negotiation he just told his agent way before FA period started to just get the money he could for 2 years to give the team maximum flexibility for ED, although he could've gotten more money and definitely much longer term on the open market.

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/02/20/under-toughest-minutes-career-alex-edler-quietly-having-best-defensive-season-yet/

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

If he has value then let's get something in return before he walks down the freeway to Seattle.  However, not sure that they are interested in getting another traffic cone for their team.  

NMC + read the post above yours.

I think my concern/ issue is his lack of footspeed compared to earlier years (think Scheifele blew by him yesterday, and even Spezza outpaced him).  We could alternate between giving him the toughest minutes and try Juolevi for the toughest minutes e.g. against weaker teams like Ottawa.  Hughes can carry some load too, but if we need him to stay fresh we should not have him take the toughest players night in, night out.

2 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

(think Scheifele blew by him yesterday,

Given that Edler was standing still on the blue line, facing the opposition's goalie, and Scheifele was already skating in the other direction, it wasn't surprising.

Risky pass back to Edler and then the puck hopped over the stick.

Any d am was doomed in a foot race, from those starting positions.

Thing is the guy is  the best defensive d man on the team. That is both a credit to Alex, and a worry for the team.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...