The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Guddy offers up toughness, and can log big minutes.  He proved in the playoffs with Florida (26 min/game) that he's a top shut down guy.  What do we do with him if he demands 5+ per season?  Is he worth that, especially considering Tanev's contract?

Keep him. Even if it costs 5 million per year. He has so much more to offer us and is only 24 years old. 5 years / 5 million per i'd take it. We need his special talents. 

Edler on the other hand, I think we need to find a way to move him. He is still a top pairing dman capable of playing big minutes but he is on the decline - I don't think he will still be any good when this team is ready to compete again. 

Edited by canucklehead44

1 minute ago, canucklehead44 said:

Keep him. Even if it costs 5 million per year. He has so much more to offer us and is only 24 years old. 5 years / 5 million per i'd take it. We need his special talents. 

Edler on the other hand, I think we need to find a way to move him. He is still a top pairing dman capable of playing big minutes but he is on the decline - I don't think he will still be any good when this team is ready to compete again. 

I would support JB moving Edler for sure.  Right now though, the team is creeping closer to that magical playoff bar, and JB will sell that potential instead of making a trade for the future.  

Just now, Alflives said:

I would support JB moving Edler for sure.  Right now though, the team is creeping closer to that magical playoff bar, and JB will sell that potential instead of making a trade for the future.  

100%. I have zero faith JB will do anything productive at the deadline. He couldn't even move Hamhuis last year, who would have been an incredible pickup for any of the 16 teams going into the playoffs in exchange for something. I was certain we were re-signing him. 

He might trade a pick or two for a 21-24 year old player but that is about it. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

100%. I have zero faith JB will do anything productive at the deadline. He couldn't even move Hamhuis last year, who would have been an incredible pickup for any of the 16 teams going into the playoffs in exchange for something. I was certain we were re-signing him. 

If he trades away picks for help now the guy needs to get electric shock therapy.  He's already traded away 12 picks since coming here.  NO MAS. 

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

Hamhuis said he didn't want to move before he came up with 3 teams he would be open to move to 2 weeks before the deadline.

If a player has a NTC or NM contract, you would think that the player approaches management first.. it's the same as being an upcoming UFA..  

I'm sure that If Hamhuis would walked into JBs office in January and said " Jim , the Canucks have given me a great contract here for the last 5 years, I'm hoping I can return a favour?  Perhaps if you find a team to move me to that needs playoff help,. and you get a good return,. I would really like to return to the Canucks and you as a UFA"

"Just want to be a good hockey player and Buisness man to yo Jim" .. " Lets keep in touch" .

If your a professional hockey player,. You are obligated to be a professional in every aspect of the game or its Buisness.

Hamhuis failed the team in this regard.

Just because Benning has openly said that he will not approach players with a NM or NTC,. does not mean that a player can not be outstanding in his own approach to this game and the Buisness of it..  after all, it's his contract.

... Hamhuis's lack of flexibility and poor Buisness, may have been the reason he did not return.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Hamhuis said he didn't want to move before he came up with 3 teams he would be open to move to 2 weeks before the deadline.

If a player has a NTC or NM contract, you would think that the player approaches management first.. it's the same as being an upcoming UFA..  

I'm sure that If Hamhuis would walked into JBs office in January and said " Jim , the Canucks have given me a great contract here for the last 5 years, I'm hoping I can return a favour?  Perhaps if you find a team to move me to that needs playoff help,. and you get a good return,. I would really like to return to the Canucks and you as a UFA"

"Just want to be a good hockey player and Buisness man to yo Jim" .. " Lets keep in touch" .

If your a professional hockey player,. You are obligated to be a professional in every aspect of the game or its Buisness.

Hamhuis failed the team in this regard.

Just because Benning has openly said that he will not approach players with a NM or NTC,. does not mean that a player can not be outstanding in his own approach to this game and the Buisness of it..  after all, it's his contract.

... Hamhuis's lack of flexibility and poor Buisness, may have been the reason he did not return.

Most of these hockey players are far from businessmen. They hire agents then step aside. IMO Hammer wanted to stay in Van and stalled things out until options were to limited. It would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall during those talks. Even tho Benning said he would not 'ask' for players to waive their NTC I do suspect that if a deal is proposed that they will make player agents aware. IMHO the Canucks owe the Twins, Miller and Alex Burrows that opportunity to chase a CUP.

All this is moot if the Canucks are within striking distance of playoffs.  

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Most of these hockey players are far from businessmen. They hire agents then step aside. IMO Hammer wanted to stay in Van and stalled things out until options were to limited. It would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall during those talks. Even tho Benning said he would not 'ask' for players to waive their NTC I do suspect that if a deal is proposed that they will make player agents aware. IMHO the Canucks owe the Twins, Miller and Alex Burrows that opportunity to chase a CUP.

All this is moot if the Canucks are within striking distance of playoffs.  

Even if we make the playoffs Boud's, I would put more emphasis on making the Team better for next Season and beyond

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Even if we make the playoffs Boud's, I would put more emphasis on making the Team better for next Season and beyond

Absolutely no doubt. It is sacrilege around here to suggest it but making playoffs is not on my top priority list. #1 IMHO is acquiring young forward prospects and draft picks. The only serious young prospects on the current roster are Horvat, Baer, Granlund and Gaunce. They are all having good seasons in their own ways. If there were more young prospects in the lineup I might feel differently about a playoff round.

• Upvote 1

On 2017-01-02 at 9:32 AM, Boudrias said:

Absolutely no doubt. It is sacrilege around here to suggest it but making playoffs is not on my top priority list. #1 IMHO is acquiring young forward prospects and draft picks. The only serious young prospects on the current roster are Horvat, Baer, Granlund and Gaunce. They are all having good seasons in their own ways. If there were more young prospects in the lineup I might feel differently about a playoff round.

Bo is really the only young guy we have that's producing.  Aren't those other guys (excepting Gaunce) older - mid twenties?

cant cheer against our guys though.  We want them to win, don't we?

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

@Lancaster

IMO It's more of his shooting style, how he holds his stick and how he follows through with his momentum.  I was the same way in Junior, eventually I stopped taking slap shots in practice completely because I would break my stick every every 3rd time I took one and being a poor kid who couldn't afford a new stick every week...the struggle was real..

On the PK those risks aren't warranted. The risk of going 5 on 3.

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Hey Edler you've been great and all but I'm going to go ahead and get you to waive that NTC k thx

1.png

edler has worked hard to get that as part of his contract. his right not to waive it. we need veterans on the backend or else it will be crazy back there. if we trade edler. we keep tanev. if we trade tanev. then keep edler. but if we trade both. we have little experience back there. 

52 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

edler has worked hard to get that as part of his contract. his right not to waive it. we need veterans on the backend or else it will be crazy back there. if we trade edler. we keep tanev. if we trade tanev. then keep edler. but if we trade both. we have little experience back there. 

Well Ill keep Tanev then, he fits in better with our young core, is a good leader and doesn't make as many mistakes. Trade Edler if he'll waive or trade Sbisa/Tanev. I don't know why Edler wouldn't waive in the offseason though.. go to a contender and start playing well again.

Edler needs to go.Seriously he is a liability. The NTC's were given out like candy in order to keep contract dollars down .1 more kick at the can , fingers crossed cup run. He has been dropping off slowly over the last couple o years but this year.... off the cliff. Just my opinion though obviously.

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:17 PM, N4ZZY said:

So then it's settled. Tanev stays!

• Upvote 1