The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

17 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah the whole shooting pucks in to the shin pads thing is pretty ridiculous, and the way he screens our own goalie is pretty frustrating as well..

At the end of the day he goes out there each and every night and gives it his all.  For awhile now he has been our top minute muncher who plays against the best players on a regular basis.  Never complains, never pouts, just goes out there and plays hard.  

He deserves our respect

Willie D is to blame here as well as Edlers obvious decline. To play him as a top minute muncher just illuminates his abismal play, spread these minutes out amongst the young guys, they couldn't do any worse but at the same time develop. To be one of the defensive pairings played the majority of the time with the sedin line cant help with making eddy look much better also. We all have seen the spectacular speed in back checking the sedins possess let alone the glide to the bench after losing said possesion with the puck already over our blueline this cant help out Eddys cause either. Hes caught flatfooted  a lot, i cringe every time he pinches,rarely gets a shot through because he refuses to walk the line to create openings, his  overall positioning confuses me. He may be a great guy but i personally think he needs a new environment to play in. I definately think he is a big part of the so called stale core.

The 1040 Boys were irate during the Player year end pressor, Edler was apparently checking his phone regularly.

I still hope that Benning has a deal worked out to protect his top 4 d-men. Edler, Tanev, Guddy, Sbisa are all available. If Edler is kept I hope his TOI is cut to 20 - 22 TOI. Less ice and a more defensive stance and he can likely play a 4D or 5D role on this club for another 3 years. Failing a deal with Vegas I would leave Edler exposed.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Alexander Edler will play for Team Sweden in the coming hockey world championship.

Good for him. So long as he doesn't get injured.

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:34 AM, Boudrias said:

The 1040 Boys were irate during the Player year end pressor, Edler was apparently checking his phone regularly.

I still hope that Benning has a deal worked out to protect his top 4 d-men. Edler, Tanev, Guddy, Sbisa are all available. If Edler is kept I hope his TOI is cut to 20 - 22 TOI. Less ice and a more defensive stance and he can likely play a 4D or 5D role on this club for another 3 years. Failing a deal with Vegas I would leave Edler exposed.

This might have to be done to initiate a deal.

• Upvote 1

The only way I see Edler leaving is if he's selected in the Expansion Draft.  

Edler only has 2 years left on his deal.  For all of his warts, I don't mind keeping Edler.  There is, of course, the NTC issue and the fact that Edler doesn't seem to want to waive (which is totally his right).  Aside from that however, Edler's a decent skater, big body and can still contribute offensively.  Realistically, Edler's no longer a significant offensive threat but he's not completely ineffective offensively.  The guy really needs to find a new stick supplier though.  Contrary to other opinions I have heard, I think Edler can actually still eat up hard minutes on defense, but not alone with his D partner.

Edler thrived in the era when our D was much deeper and he did not have to be "the" guy.  As others have mentioned, I think the key to Edler is limiting his minutes but that requires trusting the rest of the D with more ice time.  When Edler's minutes are down to around 20 minutes on a consistent basis, I find that he's still generally effective at both ends of the rink.  Edler gets unfocused when he plays too much.  It's too bad Tryamkin left for the KHL but hopefully the Canucks D next year can share minutes more equally.  Allowing some of our younger D to share harder assignments should also help to relieve Edler and his D partner of some of those minutes.  It would be good for their development too.

The only question I have about Edler is whether he will bring it every night even if the team is far from contending.  If Edler wants to stay here, he at least owes the team (and, quite frankly, his career after this contract ends) that much.

In 2 years, Hutton and Stecher will be further along, as will Juolevi and Brisebois.  I'm fine with Edler occupying a roster spot so long as is still ready to bring it every night.

Edited by EternalCanuckFan

Edler is show casing his talents at the Worlds. He usually does well on the big ice. Fans keep saying he won't waive but I remember a interview where he said he had never been asked to waive. How do you stay with a team that tells you they want to move in a different direction?

15 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Edler is show casing his talents at the Worlds. He usually does well on the big ice. Fans keep saying he won't waive but I remember a interview where he said he had never been asked to waive. How do you stay with a team that tells you they want to move in a different direction?

He opened up their game against Russia with a big blue line hit... where was that for us all year?

Edited by Freeridebc

1 minute ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Here it is..

Doesn't have to worry about the NHL giving suspensions. Ever since he was suspended, he's been pretty careful with his hitting.

On 5/5/2017 at 9:21 AM, SILLY GOOSE said:

Same Edler guys- It's probably a lot harder to line guys up in the NHL

Not same Edler at all. And lining guys up in the NHL should be easier considering the smaller ice surface. 

21 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not same Edler at all. And lining guys up in the NHL should be easier considering the smaller ice surface. 

So he has a clone or something?

It's the same guy dude.  That guy had his head down skating the puck up.  You rarely see guys open themselves up like that.  Edler had ALL DAY to line him up.  

Just now, SILLY GOOSE said:

So he has a clone or something?

It's the same guy dude.  That guy had his head down skating the puck up.  You rarely see guys open themselves up like that.  Edler had ALL DAY to line him up.  

Yes. This Edler is a probot version 3.21. 

Yes it's the same person, but Edler is clearly more motivated to play for Sweden than Vancouver. This should be a clear indication of what to do with him. Time to move on. 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Yes it's the same person, but Edler is clearly more motivated to play for Sweden than Vancouver. This should be a clear indication of what to do with him. Time to move on. 

Clear?  OK I know we're all just having fun here but to say you know what the guys thoughts and intentions are about the Canucks......