The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

52 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

cute gif but markstrom has shown that he's ready for the #1 job. he's a different goalie from where he was 2 years ago-- from when anyone remembers when the canucks got smoked against anaheim, but he was kept out there, cause thats paying your dues, but thats a different topic all together

as ive stated before, guddy coming in makes the canucks defense core a little more respectable. what he lacks in scoring prowess, he makes it up for being smart in his position; think chris tanev, but a lot more physical-- plays with an edge but can police himself, and can answer the bell if called upon. when the game is on the line and you need someone to log those extra minutes, this guy should be willie's go-to guy

I know - and those are very good points btw - I just wanted to use that gif ::D

Look forward to seeing him and Jake on the ice at the same time. That should keep peoples heads up lol.

good thing is he isn't a goon either he can actually play the game of hockey at a high level. Good overall guy who won't let our guys get picked on. :P look forward to seeing him wrekt some kids.

Wooo Hooo....

Look forward to watching him play on the Canucks. Followed this guy since he was drafted 3rd overall by FLD. Gudsy reminds me of Gerald Didduck. Gudsy is taller than Didduck but similar style of play.

1 reason why I love this acquisition. Guys, stop and think about our goaltending situation for the foreseeable future. Next season we will have Miller and Markstrom split the starting job more or less, then next season Markstrom will get his first full starting gig. (Maybe Markstrom will straight up start this season but we will see) And then a couple years down the line, Thatcher Demko is going to take the ranks. Guys, if our defence is as bad as it was this year, not at scoring goals, but at actually playing defence and keeping pucks and defenders away from our net, those guys are going to get straight exposed. We've seen how a veteran goalie like Ryan Miller was just abused over the season due to our lack in D coverage. In our division we have two style of teams. The California teams play big, physical and tough. The Canadian teams play fast, quick, and transition. Gudbranson will go along way to protecting our net and defending against both of those. Plus, another added hitter on our blue line was much needed. Gudbranson was a guy that was talked about as being future captian material, and Willie Mitchell, and I would guess the team, was pissed when he was traded. That's a good sign for us. I can't wait to see what he can do. Him and Tanev give our right side top 4 defense a real good defensive presence while Edler and Hutton will add some offensive presence. 

Also adding to that, One of Subban or Stecher in a year or so, will step in and fill that void of offensive PMD. We don't need to worry aout acquiring one, when we have two talented prospects ready to burst on the scene. But I for one would like us to sign Philip Larsen, add him to our defence for next year, and give Subban and Stecher 1 year with Utica and then we will evaluate the team, as they will be ready. I want to walk into next season like this,

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Larsen

(Sbisa) (the bottom 3 will fight for the 2 starting roster spots.)

To me, thats a good roster that can win some games.

If all goes well, we should have a pretty good defense next year. We have a clear top-4 and a more developmental 3rd pairing, similar to our forward group. With Tryamkin being on the bottom pairing next year, Sbisa looks like the odd man out. If everyone plays to their strengths and plays well, we should be in good shape. I also want us to sign Larsen, as he would give us a good puck mover on the bottom pairing. 

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Larsen

Pedan, Biega

Subban, Stetcher

Nillson

Really excited about this guy hence the username but honestly I think a change of scenery will prove good to him and we might see more offence out of him but nonetheless a great addition to our D-core. Still 24 so he's got a couple years until he hits his prime!

Defenceman's development is usually longer and Guddy has shown what a force he can become. Let's gooooooo baby I'm pumped::D

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Don't know why people are getting so excited, Yost says Gudbranson's numbers suck and they'll never change.

Why is this guy not a GM yet. Clearly he knows more than experienced GMs in the league.

I appreciate your sarcasm.:lol:

I was listening to 1040 and I never heard Pierre McGuire so vehement.  He said he worked with Yost, and that the other guy is not a talent elevator.  He was really shocked by the trade, and felt sorry for the Florida franchise and players.  It was a very enlightening interview.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I appreciate your sarcasm.:lol:

I was listening to 1040 and I never heard Pierre McGuire so vehement.  He said he worked with Yost, and that the other guy is not a talent elevator.  He was really shocked by the trade, and felt sorry for the Florida franchise and players.  It was a very enlightening interview.

Yea I trust McGuires ability to evaluate talent over most at TSN. He's actually done it for a living at the highest level.

I also find it interesting that people assumed that it must have been Benning that called Florida and was desperate to get Gudbranson. It was actually the other way around. Florida called Benning and really wanted McCann, and it was then that Gudbranson's name came up.

Florida doesn't do this move if they don't have salary constraints. This is all about getting players on cheap contracts because they won't be able to afford to re-sign Gudbranson and their other top centers. McCann is likely going to replace Trocheck because Trocheck is due for a big raise and Florida can't afford it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Don't know why people are getting so excited, Yost says Gudbranson's numbers suck and they'll never change.

Why is this guy not a GM yet. Clearly he knows more than experienced GMs in the league.

Good thing games are played on ice sheets instead of spreadsheets, eh? ::D 

Edited by Shift-4
  • Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not if the "analytics or else" crowd has their way. Everything would be virtual. 

Then we can all be professional athletes!

That's the hidden agenda these stats nerds actually have. :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Then we can all be professional athletes!

That's the hidden agenda these stats nerds actually have. :ph34r:

23 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hahahahahahaha. Totally. 

Guys.  You must show some empathy for our stats boys.  Put yourselves in their shoes.  How must it feel taking beats every day for four years of highschool?  (I assume these stats guys graduated as quickly as possible^_^). The scares they must carry.  It's so very sad. :(

Let's see how Gudbrandson's stats change on the Canucks.  

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Why even have games? If my rosters numbers are better or worse than my opponents isn't the outcome then a forgone conclusion?

gag barf

True. I loved you in the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/31/2016 at 10:41 PM, SaintPatrick33 said:

Safe to say, Gudbranson Jerseys will be flying off the shelves come October!

I cant wait until the first hack and facewash he gives to a player trying to run our goalies! :wub:

By facewash you mean punching their face in right?