The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

I’m happy with 4m AAV for 3 years. 

I like Guddy. He knows he needs to improve.  More importantly, he wants to improve. He sounds excited about the team and the direction. On top of that I think I guy like him can help build up the confidence of some of the new guys walking into the room over the next few seasons. 

Great job JB.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

HF Boards is calling you. 

I got the call, but I perefer to stay here to give a little balance to the blantant benning homerism.

i like Gud but he’s a 4/5 dman and didnt deserve any trade protection. 

4mill@3years with no trade protection is a decent deal. 

• Like 2

Of course he got resigned.  Considering we gave up a 1st, 2nd and 4th round picks to get him, it would be embarrassing to trade him for a 2nd or whatever we would have gotten back. 

$4,000,000 for a 3rd pairing guy that doesn't score and has some of the worst defensive numbers in the league?  Whatever, we have a ton of cap room and it's not my money. 

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Of course he got resigned.  Considering we gave up a 1st, 2nd and 4th round picks to get him, it would be embarrassing to trade him for a 2nd or whatever we would have gotten back. 

$4,000,000 for a 3rd pairing guy that doesn't score and has some of the worst defensive numbers in the league?  Whatever, we have a ton of cap room and it's not my money. 

Overpayment but at least Benning doesn't have to admit the bad deal he made bringing Guddy in.

Is this huge overpayment now going to limit the chances he can be traded over the next 3 years though... ?

Looks like a case of Benning not wanting to admit he screwed up kind of a contract offering.....

6 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I used to think this, but I'm not as sold on it anymore. There's no way I'd say he's good defensively, but simply looking at his CORSI/Fenwick is only half the picture. His offensive zone start % is fairly low at 45.8%, which makes it more difficult to have good possession stats. The same goes for +/-, where he's -4, above Edler, Stecher, Del Zotto, and Pouliot. 

Again, I'm not saying he's good defensively, but I wouldn't be so quick to say he's one of the worst defensive defensemen in the NHL.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Overpayment but at least Benning doesn't have to admit the bad deal he made bringing Guddy in.

Is this huge overpayment now going to limit the chances he can be traded over the next 3 years though... ?

Looks like a case of Benning not wanting to admit he screwed up kind of a contract offering.....

Who knows, it'll be 4 years that he's here when he's in his last year of contract.  Admitting defeat in a trade is easier the more time goes by.  Also he'll only be getting paid 3 million his last year so will be very tradable.  

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I used to think this, but I'm not as sold on it anymore. There's no way I'd say he's good defensively, but simply looking at his CORSI/Fenwick is only half the picture. His offensive zone start % is fairly low at 45.8%, which makes it more difficult to have good possession stats. The same goes for +/-, where he's -4, above Edler, Stecher, Del Zotto, and Pouliot. 

Again, I'm not saying he's good defensively, but I wouldn't be so quick to say he's one of the worst defensive defensemen in the NHL.

Capture.JPG.0cd72a49e627a176b848892453484089.JPG

All I said is his numbers are some of the worst in the league.  Take it for what it's worth to you. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

Who knows, it'll be 4 years that he's here when he's in his last year of contract.  Admitting defeat in a trade is easier the more time goes by.  Also he'll only be getting paid 3 million his last year so will be very tradable.  

Capture.JPG.0cd72a49e627a176b848892453484089.JPG

All I said is his numbers are some of the worst in the league.  Take it for what it's worth to you. 

Dude looks like  a model...   gives great quotes to media......   says all the right things ........  and is a great fighter once  a year.....   He even lays the body once every  5-6 games...

Dudes a  keeper..........

Agreed that 3 mil on his last year should make him tradeable......   and we are tanking the next 2-3 years anyways.... so i guess not a big deal. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2018 at 9:42 AM, appleboy said:

Just glad there isn't any type of ntc. Stop and look at our D. We need the body. He can hopefully be moved once we find some more depth. 

Time to move on. Maybe he will surprise us.

When a player gets close to UFA there is always overpayment.   This is a reasonable contract.  3 years and no NTC at 4 is okay.   Guddy was in demand and for sure on the open market he would have gotten something similar.    

Toughness and intimidation are still a big part of the game, and Guddy brings protection to this team while playing regular minutes.  Guys that like to run around have to for the next 3 years recognize that we got someone who will make you answer for it.    There are not many guys in the league who are game to go Guddy.

Edited by samurai
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

3yrs $4M

Irfaan Gaffar‏Verified account @sportsnetirf 44s44 seconds ago

More

Gudbranson 3-year deal AAV of 4 million. #Canucks

This will end up being a good deal.

Length is good, amount is high for me, but on a rebuilding team with a low cap it won't matter.

The contract makes him traded easily if it ends up that way, but with little in the defensive cupboards that's highly unlikely.

Does this mean that Benning has found a buyer for Tanev?

10 minutes ago, Team Bagues said:

This will end up being a good deal.

Length is good, amount is high for me, but on a rebuilding team with a low cap it won't matter.

The contract makes him traded easily if it ends up that way, but with little in the defensive cupboards that's highly unlikely.

Does this mean that Benning has found a buyer for Tanev?

I think that it makes at least one LHD redundant.  

Why?  RHD depth is now Tanev > Guddy > Stecher > Biega.  Pouliot, who can play on the right will be fixed on the left now which makes the left very crowded.  Hutton or ???  for a tough winger to replace Dorsett anyone?  Benning wants to make a hockey trade.