The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

That goal scorer is not Guddy’s check.  That’s Bo’s Check.

Yeah, I don't know why people are blaming Gudbranson alone for this play happening. There are plenty of other places to point to him being the worst player on the ice, but this isn't one of them. This is the entire defense having a meltdown.

First, the biggest issue is Edler is chasing the play and being way out of position by the time the puck carrier gains possession in the corner. He's been good at times this season, but this really illustrated his lack of mobility. He sort of just ends up drifting in no-mans-land, accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Then Gudbranson bit on the play, clearly trying to cover for the fact that Edler was two and a half steps behind the play. The only problem is, he lacked the awareness to see the puck being distributed, so he also ended up putting himself out of position entirely. Not a good play, and a clear lack of communication between himself and Edler.

Horvat got caught watching the play. Failed to read the defensive breakdown and didn't key on the goalscorer like he should've.

Boeser is also just sort of floating, though he didn't contribute negatively to the goal.

Goldobin is the only player on his check, which...if Goldobin is your only player being defensively responsible, you've got an issue.

Just really bad all around.

Edited by BananaMash
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, BananaMash said:

Yeah, I don't know why people are blaming Gudbranson alone for this play happening. There are plenty of other places to point to him being the worst player on the ice, but this isn't one of them. This is the entire defense having a meltdown.

First, the biggest issue is Edler is chasing the play and being way out of position by the time the puck carrier gains possession in the corner. He's been good at times this season, but this really illustrated his lack of mobility. He sort of just ends up drifting in no-mans-land, accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Then Gudbranson bit on the play, clearly trying to cover for the fact that Edler was two and a half steps behind the play. The only problem is, he lacked the awareness to see the puck being distributed, so he also ended up putting himself out of position entirely. Not a good play, and a clear lack of communication between himself and Edler.

Horvat got caught watching the play. Failed to read the defensive breakdown and didn't key on the goalscorer like he should've.

Boeser is also just sort of floating, though he didn't contribute negatively to the goal.

Goldobin is the only player on his check, which...if Goldobin is your only player being defensively responsible, you've got an issue.

Just really bad all around.

There are certain posters who seemingly have a fetish for seeking out mistakes Gudbranson makes to make themselves somehow look like geniuses. They usually are dedicated to the analytics only approach. 

They will magnify his mistakes while ignoring other players errors that also contribute to certain deficiencies for the team. 

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they are accounts of Bitchturd, Sas, Brough, and the like. Twerps. 

• Cheers 2

Guddy is the type of player a team that has playoff aspirations will need/want.   6'5" mobile dmen do not grow on trees.   He is relatively young still for a Dman and is far better than the majority of the haters understand.   He will be a solid and, now signed, reasonably affordable RHD guy to assist the coming years.    

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Guddy is the type of player a team that has playoff aspirations will need/want.   6'5" mobile dmen do not grow on trees.   He is relatively young still for a Dman and is far better than the majority of the haters understand.   He will be a solid and, now signed, reasonably affordable RHD guy to assist the coming years.    

i see

and when will he be actually showing this ?

or will he continue to play as he has the past few games

and end up being a 7 or 8 depth dman

with no trade value

unless half his contract is retained ?

or maybe he will just keep being injured

and continue to miss 1/2 games scheduled during his tenure on the canucks

i'm on the fence about this currently

he has played worse since his contract signing

and is proving to be a very difficult dman to find a proper pairing for

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

i see

with no trade value

You will have to wait and be patient for your happiness Coastal.

its a team sport. Not tennis.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

well it's been almost 2 years now

and he is about to start his 3rd contract with the team

so i'm eager to see when his value starts to blossom

.. and he is a good defence man.

He is NOT an elite D.

what are you expecting for 4m a year?

3m last year, is 4m next year.

Big D men take a little longer to prime..  Id say he is at his best at 28yrs. He is now 26.  That’s young Coastal.

Hope your not caught up in having a team full of top draft picks and high expectations,. The Oilers have been doing that for years,.  the only thing they cheer about at the end of every season is their percentage of getting #1 in the Draft lottery.

Gudbranson is part of the mix here that will create Team Symmetry.

Im happy to have Gudbranson, it’s a great contract for team and player.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

hey i was happy when guddy was obtained

thought it was a good trade even though there was risk attached

becoming less enthused about him over time

Well, you are a Canucks fan. Becoming less enthused about things over time tends to happen. I suggest wine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

.. and he is a good defence man.

He is NOT an elite D.

what are you expecting for 4m a year?

Big D men take a little longer to prime..  Id say he is at his best at 28yrs. He is now 26.  That’s young Coastal.

Hope your not caught up in having a team full of top draft picks and high expectations,. The Oilers have been doing that for years,.  the only thing they cheer about at the end of every season is their percentage of getting #1 in the Draft lottery.

Gudbranson is part of the mix here that will create Team Symmetry.

Im happy to have Gudbranson, it’s a great contract for team and player.

you are reading a lot into my posts

i am referring only to gud

you clearly do not read my other posts

or you would imply i'm a fa n of the oiler rebuild model

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, you are a Canucks fan. Becoming less enthused about things over time tends to happen. I suggest wine.

well so nice of you to repeatedly put down my nature and character

you know little about me

and you can keep all your wine all to yourself

you are letting it spill over to where i am

and i don't appreciate it much

20 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

well so nice of you to repeatedly put down my nature and character

you know little about me

and you can keep all your wine all to yourself

you are letting it spill over to where i am

and i don't appreciate it much

Why so sensitive, coastal? If you read the statement again, it's a self-depreciating shot on Canucks fans in general, of which I am one, buddy.

Here, I'll write it in passive voice.

Being less enthused about things over time is part and parcel of being a Canucks fan.

No wine for you. And I meant wine as in the sweet nectar, not a play on words.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

you are reading a lot into my posts

i am referring only to gud

you clearly do not read my other posts

or you would imply i'm a fa n of the oiler rebuild model

I realize your only referring to Gudbranson..  and it is all negative.

Gudbranson did not arrive to the Canucks as a fully developed D man.  You seem to be expecting that in your posts.. “hasn’t shown you anything” I think is the quote you used.

That I think is a bit far fetched..

... I’m just trying to show you how things really aren’t as bad as they seem to you.. a little patience with Gudbranson, as we have with Virtannen, and the entire Team at this point, will serve us 10 fold in the future (3years).

But i will stop.

Happy to leave you with your woes.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i see

with no trade value

We clearly see a different player on the ice.    Such is life.   

• Like 1