The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

52 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I appreciate your posting this, but why do people take pictures of themselves and put them on the Internet like this?  I could see the picture being sent privately to close friends and family, but I find this (kind of) weird. They are certainly a cute couple though.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2018-03-16 at 2:41 PM, Alflives said:

I appreciate your posting this, but why do people take pictures of themselves and put them on the Internet like this?  I could see the picture being sent privately to close friends and family, but I find this (kind of) weird. They are certainly a cute couple though.

It keeps the stalkers away Alf,..  guys get em too.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Awesome!

Is Sarah a Vancouver girl? Does anyone know...

She is a bright young lady from Northern Ontario who is a Dr. of Dentistry and part of a practice in your BC City of Vancouver.   She went to dental school in Florida and now has a practice in Vancouver - figure out the connections!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 16/03/2018 at 4:16 AM, Crabcakes said:

I haven't gone more than 2 pages back in the thread so forgive me if this has been said.

The Canucks knew that Guddy was injured in November and tried to rehab the injury.  A number of months later, it was clear that rehab wasn't going to do the trick and that surgery was going to be necessary.  The team and Guddy has decided that now is the time for surgery so that Guddy will be fully recovered in time for training camp next season.

Why sign him knowing that he is damaged goods?

1.  The alternative is not good.   Expiring RFA contract.  Or, trade an injured player and get a really poor return.

2.  Signing him was the best alternative because they got less term and less cap hit than they would have got otherwise.  Remember, Guddy reportedly refused a better contract with Florida 2 years ago (the figures reported are not reliable though)

The bottom line is that Benning still wants the type of player that Gudbranson is.  He hasn't been fully healthy for most of his time in Vancouver but they know what the prognosis and liklihood of success for surgery is.  Gaunce had a similar injury and surgery last year that was successful.

This is a fair assessment I'd say.

I thought Gudbranson looked good with Edler. Pairing Gud with Edler allows us to free up Tanev to be paired with one of the younger players. It could be Juolevi or any of the other prospects (McEneny or Sautner for example).

Basically from the team's perspective, they have full info on Gud's health info so they must have thought that there really isn't a big risk when they signed him to a 3 years deal at a moderate cap hit of 4 mil.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guddy and Edler make a very good number one pairing.  

Yep. Little bit of everything in that pairing: offence, defence, size, physicality, good skating, crease clearing.

My only concern is that they may not be so effective against smaller guys that are super fast and skilled but then, every pairing has a weakness. We saw Point walk right past Zdeno to score a goal. I think it's the best we can do for now and it's going to be pretty good I think.

1 hour ago, khay said:

Yep. Little bit of everything in that pairing: offence, defence, size, physicality, good skating, crease clearing.

My only concern is that they may not be so effective against smaller guys that are super fast and skilled but then, every pairing has a weakness. We saw Point walk right past Zdeno to score a goal. I think it's the best we can do for now and it's going to be pretty good I think.

I seem to remember Guddy and Eagle handling Pastrnak and Marchand just fine when the Canucks spanked the Bruins in their last meeting. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2018 at 6:45 PM, Western Red said:

Full recovery though, so that means the shoulder wil be rebuilt and good to go. Nothing stopping him from keeping cardio up. It's relatively minor.

When they say full recovery. Does that mean back at full strength? being cleared and healthy isn't the same as being up to your normal physical stature.  He might be weaker on the one side if he isn't fully up to snuff. The idea was to get him in quicker to get him back to 100%. Do we know if he will be tho?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Guddy and Edler make a very good number one pairing.  

Ya, Add in Juolevi Tanev and Pouliot/Hutton Stecher and we got a pretty good D core.  That top pairing really settles in the rest. We would probably end up seeing 

Edler Gudbranson

Hutton Tanev (very good corsi #'s - one of the best pairings in the nhl albeit a slow stint)

Juolevi Stecher  (looked good in youngstars/pre-season)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Ya, Add in Juolevi Tanev and Pouliot/Hutton Stecher and we got a pretty good D core.  That top pairing really settles in the rest. We would probably end up seeing 

Edler Gudbranson

Hutton Tanev (very good corsi #'s - one of the best pairings in the nhl albeit a slow stint)

Juolevi Stecher  (looked good in youngstars/pre-season)

That D, Marky/Demko in goal, and our young forwards coming in, dare we say PLAYOFFS?  :towel:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

That D, Marky/Demko in goal, and our young forwards coming in, dare we say PLAYOFFS?  :towel:

While a lot of the weasels in the ultra analytics community love to discount Guddy, if the Canucks can manage to sneak into the playoffs in the next couple of seasons, he'll be a great player to have in the lineup. 

I agree with some of what you say @Rob_Zepp but think he gets beat way too much.  I like the theory of EG more than the player.  Maybe it is the coaching, maybe it is the injuries.  When he is moving his feet and has his head up he looks like a great player.  When he is overthinking and not moving his feet he is consistently getting blown by and he is an absolute disaster with the puck.

After 400 NHL games I think what you see is what you get.  Some coaches just click with players and Gallant probably clicked with EG but it doesn't look like Willie or Green have clicked with him.  Maybe it is a messaging thing.

If he was a tough as nails shut down D I would be thrilled but he hasn't really been great defensively so far.  Sure he provides some toughness but with his wrist issues that has even been mitigated somewhat.

On 5/6/2018 at 3:08 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Gudbranson will be a monstrous force next season. 

I hope you're right.  He was signed based largely on his potential as opposed to just what he has done so far.  He needs to show he is worth that 4m.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Gerard Gallant will be this year's coach of the year in a cake walk.   He hated seeing Erik Gudbranson being traded. He made it clear to management that losing Guddy changed the complexion of the blue line. Gallant valued Gudbranson’s game, how hard he could make it on opposing forwards. But Florida’s front office values a different kind of defender, and with one season remaining until his free agency, they weren’t going to ante up for Gudbranson’s skillset

I agree with what your saying but wanted point out that Florida resigned gudbranson May 9,2016 to his one year extension. They then traded him less than 20 days later to Vancouver. He also had two season before hitting ufa status. 2016-17 & 2017-18.

even though their coach, their coach that righted their franchise, was adamant they needed to retain that player.   This year Vegas is winning and doing with Guddy clone type Braden McNabb and you can bet Guddy was in Gallant's mind when he influenced management to draft Nicolas Hague.

A player like Guddy isn't always appreciated by those who watch at a certain level, but if you are a coach like Gallant you want his on your team.   Canucks are luck to have him on theirs.

players like gudbranson bring value. Not just because of his size but because of his compete and battle. That’s what makes him a gud playoff performer. He’s willing to go to war for his team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3