The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

35 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

A discussion is one thing but your constantly negativity and doom and gloom is another. 

You seem incapable of having an objective discussion because you focus on the bad constantly.

And then you try to call out others for being biased haha. Yeah...ok.

Only negative about Gudbranson because he's clearly bad, and this is the Gudbranson thread. What else can I do? :P

Positivity to the point of delusion isn't a great solution, either.

Just now, Duodenum said:

We are 16th in goals against in the league, middle of the pack. 

Sure if we were a top five team his stats would look better. But in order to be one of those we'd need a better dcorps, maybe an upgrade on Gudbranson :towel:

sure maybe so. I'm not saying he's the best player evah, but the constant ragging on him by the stats set is tiresome, and some of the recent stuff by JD Burke is just downright insulting and gutless imo. 

Guddy's been good before, if we get him the right partner he'll be good again. Thats good enough for me, given where this team is at. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure maybe so. I'm not saying he's the best player evah, but the constant ragging on him by the stats set is tiresome, and some of the recent stuff by JD Burke is just downright insulting and gutless imo. 

Guddy's been good before, if we get him the right partner he'll be good again. Thats good enough for me, given where this team is at. 

Can you link or pm me what he said? I don't have a subscription to the athletic. 

The 2nd paragraph is where we differ, I think the speed of the game has passed him by and you can only hope to hide his deficiencies at this point, but he won't be good again. 

Edited by Duodenum
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Can you link or pm me what he said? I don't have a subscription to the athletic. 

The 2nd paragraph is where we differ, I think the speed of the game has passed him by and you can only hope to hide his deficiencies at this point, but he won't be good again. 

I also don't agree with this whole tailoring partners for players who have been in the league as long as he has. He was the one who in his first season told us that Hutton needed 300 games of experience before he would get the NHL didn't he?

I think there are going to be 5 more defencemen playing more minutes on this team than EG next season, so I don't think finding him a partner will be a prioirty. Travis already seems to be getting it and is slashing his time on ice drastically. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Only negative about Gudbranson because he's clearly bad, and this is the Gudbranson thread. What else can I do? :P

Positivity to the point of delusion isn't a great solution, either.

Guddy is what he is. A big tough 6th D man. Play him with a half decent #5 and there you go.

Analysis complete.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

But in order to be one of those we'd need a better dcorps, maybe an upgrade on Gudbranson :towel:

As we discussed previously, that problem will be solved by upgrading the top of the dcore, not the middle or bottom.

6 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I also don't agree with this whole tailoring partners for players who have been in the league as long as he has.

It's not about 'tailoring' anything. It's about putting the players you've acquired, for a reason, in to positions to succeed. Due to a lack of suitable options beyond Edler, we've thus far been unable to do so with EG. That's not on him, that's on management.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

As we discussed previously, that problem will be solved by upgrading the top of the dcore, not the middle or bottom.

It's not about 'tailoring' anything. It's about putting the players you've acquired, for a reason, in to positions to succeed. Due to a lack of suitable options beyond Edler, we've thus far been unable to do so with EG. That's not on him, that's on management.

Which should be sorted out fairly soon.

Edited by PhillipBlunt

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Hughes will look good with Gudbranson and Guddy can also protect him on the ice.  I'd really like to see that pairing either this year or next...

Nashville moved Weber because they noticed that in the playoffs they were spending more time defending than attacking.  Anaheim confirmed that they were keying in on Josi because they knew Weber wouldn't skate the puck out.  They couldn't get out of their zone. 

I am not sure that Gudbranson will help Hughes for those reasons.  Weber also has a very good 1st pass while Gudbranson does not - he is too hesitant and too slow at moving the puck.  It gives too much room for opponents to get ready.  More and more teams are talking about the importance of going up ice quickly and avoiding D to D passing.  

Klingberg during the playoffs vs the Wild a few years ago was saying it's old school to have a PMD with a defensive D.  He was saying that he by far prefers playing with a skilled D with whom he can make plays and play keep away.  The Wild were unable to get the puck back.  

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hughes - Tanev

Edler - Gudbranson

Hutton - Stecher

That's a nice looking defense. Pouliot free!

Hell, IMO Brisebois should be playing over Biega so who the hell knows what Green/Baumer will do but your (and @Jimmy McGill's) pairings theoretically make the most sense IMO with current personnel.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Call it what you will, an upgrade at the top pushes Tanev and Stecher down and Gudbranson out of the line-up. Upgrade on Gudbranson complete. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

this is it: https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/burke-can-make-legitimate-case-gudbranson-is-worst-defenseman-in-nhl-1.1247239

3 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Honestly, Gudbranson is just kinda super wack.

He would have been a franchise defender in 2002. It's not 2002 anymore.

Come back to this thread after the Flames game tomorrow, and see how everyone changes their tune again. He's a solid 4-6 D especially for a team in the playoffs. I hope he is still around the next time we make the playoffs (this/next year).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sikhguy23 said:

Come back to this thread after the Flames game tomorrow, and see how everyone changes their tune again. He's a solid 4-6 D especially for a team in the playoffs. I hope he is still around the next time we make the playoffs (this/next year).

I have a feeling I will still not like his play, to tell you the truth.

I have to have a player I hate every year or else the rest of my magic dries up, this year is Gudbranson's turn.

• Haha 2