The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

It seems by nearly every available metric that Gudbranson is one of the worst d-men in the league today. He doesn't pass the eye test either. Always losing his man, getting caught out of position, sitting there like a mook while the puck goes in the net. I consider a good game from him one where I don't notice him all night. Zero offense. His toughness is overrated. He's big but hardly ever uses it. Certainly no deterrent. Uh, I guess he's done pretty well in two staged fights this year? A replacement level defender would be better. I guess I'm beating on a dead horse, but still.

I imagine Gudbranson in the playoffs will be a lot of getting walked and making bad plays, with decent amount of bad penalties to boot.

Ship him out while there's still a few meat and potatoes gms left who might be fooled into taking him.

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

Guddy does his job, no he is not the best defenseman, he makes mistakes like every defenseman out there, but I can think of a lot worse  than him, one being Pouliot who has cost us some games.  also  Guddy shouldn't have to fight every game just so some of you can see a fight!!! but just so you know his toughness is not overrated! just ask tough guy Wilson or a few others!!!

21 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

I have a feeling I will still not like his play, to tell you the truth.

I have to have a player I hate every year or else the rest of my magic dries up, this year is Gudbranson's turn.

can you hate Schaller a little more and Guddy a little less? 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

can you hate Schaller a little more and Guddy a little less? 

Oh trust me, I hate Schaller a lot more than Guddy.

I just have more fun picking at Guddy because when he makes mistakes they're usually BIG mistakes. Schaller just regularly contributes absolutely nothing and doesn't do anything, so there's nothing fun to rip on.

I just try to be honest in my biases.

Edited by BananaMash

4 hours ago, BananaMash said:

Honestly, Gudbranson is just kinda super wack.

He would have been a franchise defender in 2002. It's not 2002 anymore.

In 2002, we had Ohlund in this prime.  Even with only one good eye, he was a guy you could match up against anybody as a shutdown D (him and Iginla were like to gladiators out there battling each other).  He also scored ten goals  (he did that multiple times so it wasn’t  just a fluke like current Canuck Schaller).  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BananaMash said:

Oh trust me, I hate Schaller a lot more than Guddy.

I just have more fun picking at Guddy because when he makes mistakes they're usually BIG mistakes. Schaller just regularly contributes absolutely nothing and doesn't do anything, so there's nothing fun to rip on.

I just try to be honest in my biases.

thats a good thing.

I dunno, I just have to respect a guy who's willing to answer the bell, so maybe that gets a lot of leeway on other things. The anal-ytics annoy me far worse than anything Guddy does. 

Schaller is a mystery to me, why did he even sign here? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I had the pleasure of meeting Ohlund a couple of years ago, he's still in decent shape and a big dude. Sad tho he was talking about how he can't skate at all anymore, not even with his kids, because his knees are so damaged. Thats what he gave for those years. He and Salo are still my 2 favourite Canucks. But thats me stuck in the early 2000s. 

I would chop off a baby toe to have another Salo on this team.

Especially one with less injuries. That clapper was so hot.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BananaMash said:

I would chop off a baby toe to have another Salo on this team.

Especially one with less injuries. That clapper was so hot.

It was his accuracy that was out of this world. Gudbranson can shoot a puck 100+MPH, but I don't think we've ever had a player who could do that with pristine accuracy since Salo (maybe Ehrhoff though).

12 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I had the pleasure of meeting Ohlund a couple of years ago, he's still in decent shape and a big dude. Sad tho he was talking about how he can't skate at all anymore, not even with his kids, because his knees are so damaged. Thats what he gave for those years. He and Salo are still my 2 favourite Canucks. But thats me stuck in the early 2000s. 

Ohlund's knees were gone while still in Vancouver. I always thought he played a couple of seasons with TB which he did for 139 games. Mentored Hedman. One of the best Canuck d-men. 

• Cheers 3

I have been watching Gudbranson very closely for the last number of games.

Like I said in tonight's GDT, I LOVE the IDEA of Guddy. A big mean D man who can punish the other team. 

But unfortunately I have come to realize he does not do this in real life, or rarely. His skating is so poor for the NHL level that his slow skating does not allow him to close on fore checkers fast enough to hit them hard without getting a late hit penalty. Watch Motte. He weighs 50 pounds less than Guddy and doles out more punishment.

His passing is below average. 

I finally have come to the conclusion he needs to go. JB needs to search for another big mean D man that can play a #6 D position while doling out some pain. Guddy is not that guy. Trade him if possible. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

I have been watching Gudbranson very closely for the last number of games.

Like I said in tonight's GDT, I LOVE the IDEA of Guddy. A big mean D man who can punish the other team. 

But unfortunately I have come to realize he does not do this in real life, or rarely. His skating is so poor for the NHL level that his slow skating does not allow him to close on fore checkers fast enough to hit them hard without getting a late hit penalty. Watch Motte. He weighs 50 pounds less than Guddy and doles out more punishment.

His passing is below average. 

I finally have come to the conclusion he needs to go. JB needs to search for another big mean D man that can play a #6 D position while doling out some pain. Guddy is not that guy. Trade him if possible. 

I'm not heavily against this idea. I strongly believe a big tough defenseman is important, but you can get ones as good as Gudbranson for a heck of a lot cheaper, or instead get a better one than Gudbranson for the same price. That said, I'm not sure he's too movable at this point.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm not heavily against this idea. I strongly believe a big tough defenseman is important, but you can get ones as good as Gudbranson for a heck of a lot cheaper, or instead get a better one than Gudbranson for the same price. That said, I'm not sure he's too movable at this point.

Does anyone have a list of 5 to 10 other big mean D men, preferably that can skate, that could be available? They would probably be 3rd pairing guys or they would cost more than the Canucks would want to pay right now.

Edit; seeing as we would only be looking for a 3rd pairing D we are only looking for the 125th best to 167th best BIG MEAN D men in the league. There should be something available one would hope.

PS: I also believe we need big mean D that can actually play big minutes in the top 4 and a big mean winger in the top 6 that plays meaningful minutes before we can really compete. E. Kane would have fit like a glove...too bad these shark punks got him but no way could we trade what would have been needed to get him....we need to get some of these players in UFA.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

3 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

Am I the only that would do a Brenden Dillon for Gudbranson swap in a heartbeat?

Makes half of his salary too, yeesh.

IDK where you're getting your numbers from but that is far from the truth.

Dillon Cap Hit: $3.27M

Gudbranson Cap Hit: $4.0M

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

IDK where you're getting your numbers from but that is far from the truth.

Dillon Cap Hit: $3.27M

Gudbranson Cap Hit: $4.0M

Woops. You're right. Still would do that trade every day of the week. Sadly, Doug Wilson seems pretty competent unlike someone else we know.

On 2/8/2019 at 10:58 AM, Toews said:

We need Edler or a Brian Campbell (aka one of the best puckmovers of his generation) to get adequate performance out of Gudbranson. 

Except the fact, Gudbranson’s best times playing with Florida, he was paired with Mitchell, Kulikov, and Olsen. Not Campbell. None of which are puck-movers.

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1