Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

Heres the thing: Gudbranson is the best defensive Dman nucks have. In front of the own net i cant think of anyone other then edler to match his capacity there. Thats why he is there. I only wish there was some Offensively minded Dman to be by his side. Someone that goes up and down like a squirrel on Coffeine. I think that would work out well. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

Heres the thing: Gudbranson is the best defensive Dman nucks have. In front of the own net i cant think of anyone other then edler to match his capacity there. Thats why he is there. I only wish there was some Offensively minded Dman to be by his side. Someone that goes up and down like a squirrel on Coffeine. I think that would work out well. 

What about Tanev? Only Edler rivals his shot blocking prowess and Tanev's stick work in passing lanes is extraordinary. Gudbranson has his moments, but can easily get turned around by quick passing or skating.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tanev is definetly one of the better we have, but he doesnt have that gritty physical side that guddy has. Come playoff time i would stil prefer guddy at the backend, while tanev is definetly more allround type of player, the most crucial point in front of the own net needs some physique unless ur extremely well positioned as well as amazing stickhandling. i know its kinda difficult, but with edler out, i say we need that kind of physical prowess there. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

So many people here have some weird fetish for the guy lol. He’s just not a very good player on a equally bad contract . 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Gudbranson is probably the 5th best defensive d-man on this squad. He's not good in front of his net, he's bad with his stick and for a guy with his size he doesn't do a good enough job boxing out.  He ranks 1st in toughness, and 1st in intimidation and those have their value but other than that he's just all around pretty bad.  If he made 2-3 million it would be much easier to swallow

I’m okay with your valuation of Guddy.  I see a huge uptick in his play when Quinn Hughes gets here.  Guddy needs to simplify his game to where he handles bodies to free up pucks.  Quinn is perfect for collecting those pucks and moving up the ice.  His great skills will force other teams to back off their forecheck, so they don’t get outnumbered on the counter.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, guntrix said:

Give me whatever you’re smoking, there’s no way he’s a better defensive defenseman than Tanev. 

It's legal now!

23 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

So many people here have some weird fetish for the guy lol. He’s just not a very good player on a equally bad contract . 

.. but EG is the perfect offset type of D man if we had legit #1 and #2 Dmen.

We have never had a true #1.. and don’t count on any prospect being one for 3 years.

We have to get a legit/proven #1

.. I’m tired of the regurgitated country club fan faving of Edler and Tanev.

Keep Edler if we must.. But move Tanev and add a prospect and or pick to somehow get an EK type Dman.

We only get half seasons of play out of each, and we treat them like they’re #1’s.

Again.. This team deserves a #1, proven, Dman ..   and no team has ever won a Stanley Cup without a legit #1.

21 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

It's legal now!

No that guy is on some hard stuff. Pot wouldn't make someone say what he did. If Guddy played to his potential he might have a point, but a giant pylon is as easy to walk around as a small one.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

It's legal now!

Crack is legal?

That is what you would have to smoke to think Guddy is a better defensive D man than Tanev.

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Crack is legal?

That is what you would have to smoke to think Guddy is a better defensive D man than Tanev.

Guddy is one of the best in the league at why can do, which intimidate, fight, and be physically imposing.  Tanev is better at playing harder minutes in a shutdown role.  They are completely different players.  At this time in our rebuild, we need Guddy’s skills more than Tanev’s.  

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Crack is legal?

You may be on to something there, but i don't think people who smoke crack have time to watch hockey though! lol

On 2/13/2019 at 10:19 PM, Alflives said:

I’m okay with your valuation of Guddy.  I see a huge uptick in his play when Quinn Hughes gets here.  Guddy needs to simplify his game to where he handles bodies to free up pucks.  Quinn is perfect for collecting those pucks and moving up the ice.  His great skills will force other teams to back off their forecheck, so they don’t get outnumbered on the counter.  

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

.. but EG is the perfect offset type of D man if we had legit #1 and #2 Dmen.

We have never had a true #1.. and don’t count on any prospect being one for 3 years.

We have to get a legit/proven #1

.. I’m tired of the regurgitated country club fan faving of Edler and Tanev.

Keep Edler if we must.. But move Tanev and add a prospect and or pick to somehow get an EK type Dman.

We only get half seasons of play out of each, and we treat them like they’re #1’s.

Again.. This team deserves a #1, proven, Dman ..   and no team has ever won a Stanley Cup without a legit #1.

Gotta agree with these posts.  Guddy can't carry a pair on his own, but could still be a good complementary piece.  Either Hughes or Juolevi could bring him around.  The issue with our defense isn't just lack of talent.  It's also incredibly badly constructed:  the whole less than the sum of the parts on nearly every pairing. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't know who I want to drive to the airport first. Pouliot or Guddy. Both drive me up the bloody wall and I feel my blood pressure will go back to normal the second they get the hell off this team. Hell, I'm gonna rent a bus so I can drive them, Eriksson, Granlund, Sutter and Schaller to YVR. One way ticket to Siberia. Adios muchachos!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Gotta agree with these posts.  Guddy can't carry a pair on his own, but could still be a good complementary piece.  Either Hughes or Juolevi could bring him around.  The issue with our defense isn't just lack of talent.  It's also incredibly badly constructed:  the whole less than the sum of the parts on nearly every pairing. 

A very good complimentary piece, Maniwaki..      I like your wording in your quote.

..and the positive thing about the way the D is constructed at this point is the fact that it is perfect for the De-construct..   A solid no.1 D like E Karlsson, with Edler, Gudbranson, Stetcher, Hutton, possibly Tryamkin..  mixed in with the potentials of Joulevi, Brisboise Hutton Hughes Woo Rathbone..  interesting times ahead.. next year as our forward core blooms... our D core will bud.

• Upvote 1

The kings scored 3 tonight and the defensemen on the ice were... drumroll!

Hutton and Gudbranson

Brisbois and Gudbranson

Brisbois and Gudbranson

Im seeing a common denominator here.

Some serious crow eating will be going on by next year, book it.  I expect a Baumer firing and the next Defensive Coach will provide a better structure for our defense.  By playoffs next year y'all see his worth.  He's not a Norris winning D-man but he's certainly not as bad as CDC or TSN1040 make him out to be.

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

The kings scored 3 tonight and the defensemen on the ice were... drumroll!

Hutton and Gudbranson

Brisbois and Gudbranson

Brisbois and Gudbranson

Im seeing a common denominator here.

Didn't see the third goal but the first two were not Guddy's fault.  Bar-down shot from the blue line on the first goal, and Roussel lost his man on the second, I reckon the third goal probably wasn't his fault as well.  This is why people think he's so bad.  'Oh he was on the ice so it's his fault.'

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:50 PM, Mrwipeout said:

Agreed.

• Hydration 2
  • Haha 1