The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

3 minutes ago, The Weasel said:

By facewash you mean punching their face in right?

Well hey, I am tempering my expectations, our team was downright soft as butter last year, so I will start with facewash expectations and hopefully by december we will start to see some fists flying :emot-parrot::towel:

I would like to see edler and Gundbrandson playing together. I bet guddys physical play would inspire edler too on his pairing.  Be pretty sweet :) I'm sure will see all the top 4 d play together at some point due to injuries.  Hope we win this year.

My expectations for this year is to challenge for WCF finals. (Close too or in 3rd round of playoffs). I have a good feeling about this year either a deep run or a crazy lotto pick!

Hope my feelings are actualized.  I think the mentality and maturity of Jake will be the deteriminting factor.  Will he show up as the young 19 yr old who wasn't so mature or will he show up with the mentality and maturity of a bo Horvat.

Jake is the key imo.  ROdin could excel but we need Jake to reach that next level mentality. He has all the tools just needs the mindset to impose his will.

• Upvote 2

On 29/05/2016 at 8:38 PM, mpt said:

I'll reserve judgement until I see more of him.  Looks good on paper, we need some size on the right side.  Hope he's as good as CDC makes him out to be.

I'm just concerned if he was that good, why would Florida choose to let him go?  Especially since Florida seems to lose every trade with Vancouver at the beginning and they always screw us in the end.

Believe it was due to the fact their new stats oriented Gm staff wanted McCann because of his possession and entry zone stats.  Heard on a recent podcast believe it was canucks army McCann had like 57% possession on zone entry attempts. Baer had 52% on a negative pobsession team.  Most teams outside the top 8 are around 40-45%.  

Not sure what that all means but it sounds interesting.  They believed McCann would help them gain and maintain time in the office zone. 

Guddy doesn't have great stats because there isn't much of a metric for what he brings in advanced stats yet.

Imo I think talon got sidelined because he believed in guddy and didn't want to trade him.

Think we did well on the deal for out needs.  Jb seems to move out uncertainites for certainties. 1 piece at a time. By doing so it helps shape his vision and removes uncertaintys.

Hard to explain.  Basically making a safer bet by acquiring the pieces he wants instead of hoping u land a Rockstar.

Mental makeup of players count.  Imo jb took McCann where he did because of his talent. Prob knew he got a qually asset where he shouldn't of been. Prob planned on flipping him from the start unless McCann changed his mind. Which he obviously didnt5

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Believe it was due to the fact their new stats oriented Gm staff wanted McCann because of his possession and entry zone stats.  Heard on a recent podcast believe it was canucks army McCann had like 57% possession on zone entry attempts. Baer had 52% on a negative pobsession team.  Most teams outside the top 8 are around 40-45%.  

Not sure what that all means but it sounds interesting.  They believed McCann would help them gain and maintain time in the office zone. 

Guddy doesn't have great stats because there isn't much of a metric for what he brings in advanced stats yet.

Imo I think talon got sidelined because he believed in guddy and didn't want to trade him.

Think we did well on the deal for out needs.  Jb seems to move out uncertainites for certainties. 1 piece at a time. By doing so it helps shape his vision and removes uncertaintys.

Hard to explain.  Basically making a safer bet by acquiring the pieces he wants instead of hoping u land a Rockstar.

Mental makeup of players count.  Imo jb took McCann where he did because of his talent. Prob knew he got a qually asset where he shouldn't of been. Prob planned on flipping him from the start unless McCann changed his mind. Which he obviously didnt5

Yup.  To turn pick 24 into a third overall is a HUGE upgrade.  JB wins a trade.  Finally.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  To turn pick 24 into a third overall is a HUGE upgrade.  JB wins a trade.  Finally.

Not sure that's how that works, as draft position alone doesn't prove that a player is better than his lower-ranked counterpart.  The player at 3rd still needs to prove that he's actually worth the title of 3rd overall pick, otherwise it would be like the Senators saying they won the Alex Daigle draft of '93 when better players like Prongs were drafted at 2nd and Kimmo Timonen was a 10th round pick.  Of course I'm hoping that Erik does play like a 3rd overall pick moving forward but that's what it'll take to win the trade. 

12 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Not sure that's how that works, as draft position alone doesn't prove that a player is better than his lower-ranked counterpart.  The player at 3rd still needs to prove that he's actually worth the title of 3rd overall pick, otherwise it would be like the Senators saying they won the Alex Daigle draft of '93 when better players like Prongs were drafted at 2nd and Kimmo Timonen was a 10th round pick.  Of course I'm hoping that Erik does play like a 3rd overall pick moving forward but that's what it'll take to win the trade. 

He already is playing like a third overall.  That's why the "WTFs" from Luongo and Mitchell.  

3 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I agree with what you are saying.  We have seen this pattern time and again.  Good post.

Not so sure the McCann for Gudbranson trade fits the model though.  I think Benning wanted to keep McCann but he had an offer of a huge need for the team.  You could say that Gudbranson is more of a sure thing as a top 4 D than McCann is as a top 6 forward.  Guddy is there already yet McCann is going to take some developing.  His ceiling is looking more and more like 2nd line as opposed to 1st.  Ha ha, it sounds like I'm making your argument for you but rather than reducing risk, I think it's more a matter of one need was bigger than the other.

55 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I agree with what you are saying.  We have seen this pattern time and again.  Good post.

Not so sure the McCann for Gudbranson trade fits the model though.  I think Benning wanted to keep McCann but he had an offer of a huge need for the team.  You could say that Gudbranson is more of a sure thing as a top 4 D than McCann is as a top 6 forward.  Guddy is there already yet McCann is going to take some developing.  His ceiling is looking more and more like 2nd line as opposed to 1st.  Ha ha, it sounds like I'm making your argument for you but rather than reducing risk, I think it's more a matter of one need was bigger than the other.

Ya was a pretty good post minus spelling errors lol. Was typing fast on cell at work though lol.

Seems to be the method though. By getting sure things the team rounds out as a more competitive team and we can go after higher risk players with character once the soils been tilled.  I think they have gone a great job with overturning the roster thus far.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Ya was a pretty good post minus spelling errors lol. Was typing fast on cell at work though lol.

Seems to be the method though. By getting sure things the team rounds out as a more competitive team and we can go after higher risk players with character once the soils been tilled.  I think they have gone a great job with overturning the roster thus far.

High character players with high skill are less risk imo.  Benning has been able to obtain some key players when opportunity has knocked.  Sutter and Gudbranson were traded for from teams who had cap issues.

As for the supporting cast,  Benning has added players by various means.  He has upgraded assets who are long shots for sure things: Etem, Granlund.  But there are also players who want to play in the NHL who have been in European leagues:  Larsen, Rodin.  College free agency:  Stecher, Garteig. And others who have fallen through the cracks like LaPlante.  I'm not saying all these players will play for the Canucks, but they will be getting a shot in camp.  LaPlante will surely be in Utica for next season.  Benning is leaving no stone unturned.  

Edited by Crabcakes

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, suitup said:

Physicality yes, offense has yet to be shown.

Stevens became the stud/Rock/HOF player, when he focussed on the D side of the game.  You're are partly correct though.  He could put up offence, but the he sacrificed what he was best at - Defence.  Gudbrandson already knows where he helps his team the most - Defence.  They are very similar players.  We are LUCKY to have Gudbrandson 

Can't wait til regular season puck drop. :D

I'm really looking forward to our first game vs Anaheim the most. :D

Bone crushing hits baby lol. They had to deal with baby tryamkin at the end of the year. I look forward to guddy getting involved. :DDD