The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

58 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

What's experience and knowledge in the "New NHL" where 27 old guys are GM's.  

Soon the GM's will just download an app for trading/ 

drafting etc... ;)

Grapes was playing pro hockey before he knew how to read...

Still smarter than anyone on this board when it comes to the game. ;)

That's the truth. But in a time where people flock to the newest toy (analytics), the elements that really matter, like actual cumulative experience and character assessment, are tossed aside so that geeks can justify their jobs. 

Analytics has its place as an element of measuring performance, but that's pretty much it. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 2

Florida management has confirmed that they moved him for impending cap reasons.  Sure, there could have been some analytics dogmatism in the mix but they certainly are going to have cap issues there with all those young stars coming off their ELCs.  And it totally explains why they wanted McCann and picks as opposed to a more established player from Edmonton.  They needed to punt some salary down the road.  Good for Benning to leverage our cap room and take advantage of another team's cap troubles.  That part of this deal isn't getting its due here. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/20/2016 at 11:13 AM, Qwags said:

Once THAT is complete, they must complete shift their focus onto positron-antineutrino interactions amongst the hockey skates of players. Achieving this can only be done through the LHC. Upon completion, these hockey skates must be exposed to uranium-235, as to complete irradiate any bacteria that survived the experimentation. Finally, the skates are given to the player, who must perform a blood sacrifice of 5 Marchand's noses, or an object of equal mass. Since the only known object that could theoretically match such a immense weight is a supermassive black hole, the player will have to create a Alcubierre Drive to gain access to such unimagineable density. The amount of tachyons needed alone would take years to calculate.

Qwags. I stand in awe of this post with literally no sense of sarcasm whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, Laheys Liquor said:

Hey all!

So I have been the usual at this time of year: hockey deprived. 

I have always thought that this trade was a great one, and wanted to see more and really get a sense of how he can impact a game, I started watching his playoff series on YouTube and got tired of skipping through.

So naturally, I have decided to create a series of videos with every Erik Gudbranson shift in his 6 game playoff this past spring.

So far I have created games 1-3, they are around 30 minutes each, I will be uploading the rest as soon as I stop procrastinating :lol:

If you would like to check it out, I have the links below!

60010815.jpg

• Upvote 3

I think Gudbranson has been underrated. He has played the toughest minutes for Florida, and seen his PP time downsized in order to make room for Ekblad.

I believe if he gets some more scoring opportunities (which he will beside Hutton), we could see him get about 20 points. Maybe 5 goals. Pretty decent for someone with his record. We will undoubtedly see his defensive skills to make up for Hutton''s pinches. Being so big will mean he can strip a puck with a lot less effort than most.

Not really worried about him at all. If he is what he has been, I'd say he was a good trade. 

If he steps up we have a solid win.

McCann has great promise but he wasn't liked in the room. Even one of the Mom's said so. Also he will probably be set back by the enormously young depth of FLA. Not super worried about "losing" this trade.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, insomniac604 said:

I think Gudbranson has been underrated. He has played the toughest minutes for Florida, and seen his PP time downsized in order to make room for Ekblad.

I believe if he gets some more scoring opportunities (which he will beside Hutton), we could see him get about 20 points. Maybe 5 goals. Pretty decent for someone with his record. We will undoubtedly see his defensive skills to make up for Hutton''s pinches. Being so big will mean he can strip a puck with a lot less effort than most.

Not really worried about him at all. If he is what he has been, I'd say he was a good trade. 

McCann has great promise but he wasn't liked in the room. Even one of the Mom's said so. Also he will probably be set back by the enormously young depth of FLA. Not super worried about "losing" this trade.

Other than the plug Pedan and Barts mom who probably talked to McCann for a whole 60 seconds who else didn't like him in the room?

4 hours ago, insomniac604 said:

Really? Is this what it has come to?

Do you have proof he wasn't liked in the room? Was that Mom the loudmouth Mrs Bartowski? Oh well we have to go with her assessment as I heard she hangs about the team like a bad smell night after night so she would know.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Really? Is this what it has come to?

Do you have proof he wasn't liked in the room? Was that Mom the loudmouth Mrs Bartowski? Oh well we have to go with her assessment as I heard she hangs about the team like a bad smell night after night so she would know.

Also from Pedan:

Andrei Pedan to Sport-Express: 'McCann was the only guy in #Canucks I couldn't get along. Sometimes he acted like he's the lonely star here'

— Igor Eronko (@IgorEronko) May 31, 2016

Edited by Visp

I only saw a few minutes of the videos above. (around 7 minutes or so).  My eyes are restricting me just had eye surgery.  I'm not sure if its a common thing or not but Guddy looks really slow at times.  Perhaps hes just using his positioning too his advantage.   Did anyone else see any concern in his skating or was my sample size just really small?

Just now, Rush17 said:

I only saw a few minutes of the videos above. (around 7 minutes or so).  My eyes are restricting me just had eye surgery.  I'm not sure if its a common thing or not but Guddy looks really slow at times.  Perhaps hes just using his positioning too his advantage.   Did anyone else see any concern in his skating or was my sample size just really small?

Skating is one of his best assets.  He's a way better skater than, for example, that Larson guy the Oilers got hosed giving up Hall for.   Plus, our guy is tough, and has character.  This is the most lob sided trade for us ever.  You should bow to JB for this trade, and be thankful it wasn't that soft, poor skating, no character Larson we got.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Skating is one of his best assets.  He's a way better skater than, for example, that Larson guy the Oilers got hosed giving up Hall for.   Plus, our guy is tough, and has character.  This is the most lob sided trade for us ever.  You should bow to JB for this trade, and be thankful it wasn't that soft, poor skating, no character Larson we got.  

Oh I absolutely love the trade :).  I think you highlighted a lot of his good attributes.  He moves pretty quick for a big guy but I didn't get a sense of his top speed.  He seems almost restricted in his skating range of motion.  (if that makes any sense.  His stride appears restricted).  Then again I only saw about 7 minutes of video though so I have no idea lol.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

Oh I absolutely love the trade :).  I think you highlighted a lot of his good attributes.  He moves pretty quick for a big guy but I didn't get a sense of his top speed.  He seems almost restricted in his skating range of motion.  (if that makes any sense.  His stride appears restricted).  Then again I only saw about 7 minutes of video though so I have no idea lol.

He's a great shut down guy.  That's a very needed player on any Cup team.  He allows JB to now trade Tanev (hopefully) for an elite young centre. 

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He's a great shut down guy.  That's a very needed player on any Cup team.  He allows JB to now trade Tanev (hopefully) for an elite young centre. 

Or Edler :D  Might be better too wait though lol.    Dealing Tanev would be very intriguing but also concerning.  The return would need to have a good punch.  He could garner us a very good offensively young player :D  makes me happy that we now have depth at D.  Enough to potentially deal a top 2 guy without taking a major hit with the prospects down the pipe.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Or Edler :D  Might be better too wait though lol.    Dealing Tanev would be very intriguing but also concerning.  The return would need to have a good punch.  He could garner us a very good offensively young player :D  makes me happy that we now have depth at D.  Enough to potentially deal a top 2 guy without taking a major hit with the prospects down the pipe.

Getting Gudbranson drops Tanev down the lineup.  Trading Tanev is now from strength.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Getting Gudbranson drops Tanev down the lineup.  Trading Tanev is now from strength.  

I would be thoroughly impressed if that were the case.  But I honestly don't believe Guddy has surplanted Tanev on the depth charts.  

An Edler Guddy combo would be most interesting but I expect will see Tanev on the 1st to start the season barring an injury to tanev.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I would be thoroughly impressed if that were the case.  But I honestly don't believe Guddy has surplanted Tanev on the depth charts.  

An Edler Guddy combo would be most interesting but I expect will see Tanev on the 1st to start the season barring an injury to tanev.

Gudbranson will be playing top minutes among our DMEN quite quickly.  He's a big bodied minute muncher.  I really believe JB is working hard on finding us a young first line forward, and Tanev is his trading chip.  That's just me hoping.  

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

This is the correct outlook, with respects to @Alflives. In simple terms Hutton / Guddy & Edler / Tanev makes sense from a right side left side outlook. But also stylistically & what they bring to the table?

Edler, while not a mean bastard, is very cable of clearing most forwards from the net at 6'3'' & 212 or 216lbs. Tanev is the body with close out speed, the agility to cut down angles and superb positioning. Which is not elite in either Edler or Gudbranson? Edler / Tanev is just a more complimentary pair than Edler / Gudbranson!

And nothing wrong with that either! We want Hutton, a similar size and speed to Tanev, to learn Tanev's defensive skillset. To add to the offensive creativity Hutton injects. Hutton / Gudbranson has the possibility of being a great second pairing!

• Upvote 1