The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

22 hours ago, KyoNami said:

Larsen has been "real good." But in all seriousness, he's been smart defensively, and a great skater. Definitely not what I was expecting, but he's been really quite impressive!

hey that's great news :) glad to hear he's performing well to start the season. let's see how the team does against stiffer competition against the Blues in town. 

Gudbranson has exceeded my expectations! I knew we were getting a good top-4 defensive defenseman who plays physical, but I thought he would have a bit of trouble keeping up with some skaters as well as having some trouble with moving the puck up ice and moving the puck in the offensive zone.

He's been really good so far. The defense is there but his skating has surprised me, same with his simple passes out of the defensive zone and how he can jump into an open area in the offensive to get a shot in. It is still early on, but his CorsiFor% is 57.8% and he already has 6 shots in 2 games.

IMO I think he needs to take more slappers though. He's taken a few wristers trying to snipe them in like how Tanev tries to, but the man is big and strong he should hammer the puck if he finds an opening in the high slot.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Blömqvist said:

Gudbranson has exceeded my expectations! I knew we were getting a good top-4 defensive defenseman who plays physical, but I thought he would have a bit of trouble keeping up with some skaters as well as having some trouble with moving the puck up ice and moving the puck in the offensive zone.

He's been really good so far. The defense is there but his skating has surprised me, same with his simple passes out of the defensive zone and how he can jump into an open area in the offensive to get a shot in. It is still early on, but his CorsiFor% is 57.8% and he already has 6 shots in 2 games.

IMO I think he needs to take more slappers though. He's taken a few wristers trying to snipe them in like how Tanev tries to, but the man is big and strong he should hammer the puck if he finds an opening in the high slot.

Do stats really represent his game though.  I'm in total agreement with you, but he brings a lot of good things to our d that's not measurable.  Just look at how much Hutton shows confidence, for example.  Most likely Gudbranson's stats will soon reflect he's a stay at home shut down who usually starts in his own end, and does PK.  

He is an absolute beauty though.  

Just watching McCann in Florida v Tampa.  He still looks weak.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

I never had any concerns over his skating, mobility or his ability to transition the puck. I wasn't expecting elite talent in any area really, but where I did have concerns (and still do until I see more) is his ability to make decisions in the offensive zone. He can be passive there, with an eye to safety first perhaps, but it's gotten him into trouble in some cases where a stronger or simpler play would have been ideal.

Even without that offensive bonus, I know we're getting a heck of a defender, so I'm fine with that if that's all he turns out to be.

• Upvote 1

Gudbranson is making opposing teams pay a physical price which has not been there for years. That play compliments what Sbisa has shown but had no support with. A healthy Edler is now providing more of the same. A heavier Hutton cannot be pushed around as easily either.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, elvis15 said:

I never had any concerns over his skating, mobility or his ability to transition the puck. I wasn't expecting elite talent in any area really, but where I did have concerns (and still do until I see more) is his ability to make decisions in the offensive zone. He can be passive there, with an eye to safety first perhaps, but it's gotten him into trouble in some cases where a stronger or simpler play would have been ideal.

Even without that offensive bonus, I know we're getting a heck of a defender, so I'm fine with that if that's all he turns out to be.

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. 

I'm hoping that he still has time for improvement in that area.  Seems like he was pushed into a more defensive role in Fla, which has become his meat and potatoes.  He has never really been given opportunities to develop an offensive game.

At any rate, like you say, he'll always be a terrific defender for our team.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Gudbranson is making opposing teams pay a physical price which has not been there for years. That play compliments what Sbisa has shown but had no support with. A healthy Edler is now providing more of the same. A heavier Hutton cannot be pushed around as easily either.

The Canucks haven't had a defenseman of Gudbranson's stature playing an such a solidly physical game for some time, I agree. He's bolstered the entire defense, and given all of them much more confidence to play with.

Awesome acquisition, Benning!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks haven't had a defenseman of Gudbranson's stature playing an such a solidly physical game for some time, I agree. He's bolstered the entire defense, and given all of them much more confidence to play with.

Awesome acquisition, Benning!

Mitchell and before him, Ohlund are probably the closest comparables.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I'm hoping that he still has time for improvement in that area.  Seems like he was pushed into a more defensive role in Fla, which has become his meat and potatoes.  He has never really been given opportunities to develop an offensive game.

A little bit of how Florida's roster laid out and a little bit of how Guddy played when he had the opportunity. They obviously had other more offensive D-men to use but even when he got his chances he didn't do particularly well to warrant giving more.

16 hours ago, elvis15 said:

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Ya, if anything we could look for him to develop more his offensive game. We all know offense will never be his bread and butter, but he could facilitate the offense and produce more by just doing the simple play. Hold the line and pass it down to his forwards, or swing the puck to the other defenseman. Like in basketball you want your skill guys handling the ball and making plays, so Gudbranson should make a simple pass over to his skill guys.

That said, where he does excel at is his mobility and his slap shot. It's very one dimensional to just hand off the puck to a skilled teammate and not do anything, but it's a whole other dynamic altogether to keep his feet moving and getting into open areas or cutting into the high slot looking for a pass and shot opportunity. And wen he gets that shot opportunity to get some power behind and and to get it through traffic.

Gudbranson has shown some of this in the Calgary game, where he jumped into open ice and had a good shot opportunity in the high slot, and most recently last night where he moved into a shooting lane at the blueline to receive a pass and shot a slapper, getting it through the first STL forward and on net, causing the rebound for Horvat's goal.

It isn't pretty offense, but it's simple passing and movement and getting the puck on net that will help generate scoring chances.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, he's not ever going to be dynamic and creative offensively, with the puck particularly. That doesn't mean he can't add more offence, just that we should't expect him to be creating offence for others or finding it for himself.

I noticed a St Louis forward hold up at the blue line instead of skating into Gudbranson's zone. The No Go zone. 

And also the whole after the whistle stuff of chirping shoving and face washing in the crease is way down. I think we'll see more of this effect when we play LA, The after the whistle stuff.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Yeah, he's not ever going to be dynamic and creative offensively, with the puck particularly. That doesn't mean he can't add more offence, just that we should't expect him to be creating offence for others or finding it for himself.

He's already on pace for a ~27 point season ::D

But seriously, he's got a good slapper and playing with Hutton he'll likely get set up pretty frequently to let it off. He's also going to see a touch more offensive deployment than he got in FLA. Those 2 things could easily bump his points to the 15-25 range IMO.

• Upvote 3

And we're on pace for 82-0! :ph34r:

Yeah, he'll see an increase I hope. Will it be enough to keep him on the receiving end of those setups for long if he's not adding though?

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I noticed a St Louis forward hold up at the blue line instead of skating into Gudbranson's zone. The No Go zone. 

And also the whole after the whistle stuff of chirping shoving and face washing in the crease is way down. I think we'll see more of this effect when we play LA, The after the whistle stuff.

Oh yeah, he knows to make the strong and decisive plays in his own end. If he could have that same mental perspective offensively in the other team's end, he'd be a top 2 D.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Yeah, he'll see an increase I hope. Will it be enough to keep him on the receiving end of those setups for long if he's not adding though?

Given it's possibly more important that his role allows Hutton the freedom to create those setups... I think so ;)

4 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Oh yeah, he knows to make the strong and decisive plays in his own end. If he could have that same mental perspective offensively in the other team's end, he'd be a top 2 D.

Maybe him and Hutton could work that out that Gud takes the 'occasional' rush with the puck into the offensive zone. Might catch teams off gaurd.

• Upvote 1

I think the acquisition of Gudbranson has had a huge effect on the whole defense corps.

First of all, it means Hutton has far less of a physical challenge... there is not the size imbalance, he can focus on moving the puck.

2nd, the fact we have this heavyweight now anchoring the 2nd pairing has taken all the pressure off the 5/6 pair, Sbisa is now playing against lower caliber opponents and can develop his skills without the big pressure being on him.

It also has taken the pressure off Tanev and Edler, without being pushed to their physical limits, they are much better.  They are also not required as much to play against the opponent's top lines.

The Canucks now have a really decent top 5, the only one I am not sold on is Larsen, I would prefer to see Tryamkin get a chance to learn the NHL.  What Larsen gives the PP does not make up for his lack of size.  Canucks still need more of the intimidation factor.

31 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

What did you guys think of Gudbranson's physicality and feistiness out there tonight? He had that big hit against the Buffalo player along the boards to separate the player and the puck, and then went after Larsson after the slewfoot attempt.

I think Gudbranson did exactly the right thing when he went back at Larsson.

I love his physicality and refusal to back down. 

He is also a smart and funny guy... you can pick up his sense of humour and intelligence just from the short clips when they interviewed him.

I think he is a huge addition to the team.  :)

• Upvote 1