The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

Hutton went pointless with an even rating and 4 shots on net for U. of Maine in a 1-1 tie with Northeastern.

The one thing I'm really liking about Hutton is he gets a ton of shots on goal for a defenseman. From the few articles and reports I've read, it sounds like he's very, very good manning the point in offensive situations - keeping the puck in at the blueline is something I've heard he's specifically strong at - and he's a natural triggerman who loves to shoot.

Hutton went pointless with an even rating and 4 shots on net for U. of Maine in a 1-1 tie with Northeastern.

The one thing I'm really liking about Hutton is he gets a ton of shots on goal for a defenseman. From the few articles and reports I've read, it sounds like he's very, very good manning the point in offensive situations - keeping the puck in at the blueline is something I've heard he's specifically strong at - and he's a natural triggerman who loves to shoot.

Very nice to hear.

He is second on the team for shots with 53 shots in 23 games. I don't know if that has to do with Maine having terrible forwards or Hutton being an great offensively but what also stands out is that he has the highest +/- for defensemen on the team (at -1) with only one forward having a better +/- (+1).

I find that very impressive, especially because he is a freshman, and would love to see what he can do if he played on a better team.

Great 5th round pick MG!

Here is a good article on Hutton's play for Maine:

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/01/10/sports/ice-hockey-sports/freshman-defenseman-hutton-a-bright-spot-for-maine-hockey-team/

A quote from his defensive partner, Mike Cornell:

“I’ve been really impressed with him,” said Maine senior defenseman Mike Cornell, who is Hutton’s defense partner. “He’s going to end up the best of all of us. He has a really, really high ceiling as to what he can become. Right now, he’s only scratching the surface of where he’ll be. He’s naturally gifted.”

• Upvote 1

Hutton was not in the lineup for Maine in their 4-1 win over Boston College today. The Black Bears website, nor the ECAC website, made any mention of why he wasn't in the lineup. Guess we'll have to keep an eye open for news.

For the 2nd game in a row, Hutton was not in the lineup for U. of Maine. Maine defeated Boston College 3-1 in the 2nd game of a back to back.

Hutton was again missing from Maine's lineup today in a 2-2 final tie with Providence.

Unfortunately I still can't seem to find any info anywhere, although I haven't searched every nook and cranny. I'll dig a bit more tomorrow.

Hope this helps :)

Ben Hutton has been out of the lineup due to injury. Here's a quote from release on GoBlackBears.com (from Feb. 1st, 2013):

]FILLING IN ON D: What makes Maine's wins over Boston College even more remarkable is that three of its regular defensemen were sidelined with injuries and did not play in the series. Nick Pryor, Brice O'Connor and Ben Hutton were all sidelined during the series.

http://www.goblackbe.../20130129aaw5w1

Not sure what the nature of Hutton's injury is, however.

Hope this helps :)

Ben Hutton has been out of the lineup due to injury. Here's a quote from release on GoBlackBears.com (from Feb. 1st, 2013):

http://www.goblackbe.../20130129aaw5w1

Not sure what the nature of Hutton's injury is, however.

Lol, wow, right on the Maine website. I looked there last week and didn't see anything so I guess I assumed I wouldn't find anything helpful this time around. Thanks though!

Lol, wow, right on the Maine website. I looked there last week and didn't see anything so I guess I assumed I wouldn't find anything helpful this time around. Thanks though!

YW. Found this also (from the Bangor Daily News preview for the last game vs. Providence):

Game notes: Maine will be without freshman defenseman Ben Hutton (upper-body injury)

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/01/31/sports/whitehead-umaine-must-get-more-second-shots-than-opponents-in-weekend-series/

Sounds like maybe a shoulder injury, if I was going to hazzard a guess, or something similar. The game notes listed concussions and broken fingers for other injured players so "upper body" most likely means something in the upper torso (and not the NHL playoffs version where "upper body" is a vague reference to anything above the waist).

Here is a good article on Hutton's play for Maine:

http://bangordailyne...ne-hockey-team/

A quote from his defensive partner, Mike Cornell:

“I’ve been really impressed with him,” said Maine senior defenseman Mike Cornell, who is Hutton’s defense partner. “He’s going to end up the best of all of us. He has a really, really high ceiling as to what he can become. Right now, he’s only scratching the surface of where he’ll be. He’s naturally gifted.”

Thanks for sharing. Very nice to hear.