The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

I've read a few scouting reports saying he has #2/3 defenceman potential. I've heard him being compared to Pietrangelo.

I don't know if that's a perfect 1 for 1 but maybe not too bad. Here's a little sound bite from his coach earlier in the year:

http://www.uscho.com/2014/10/01/ten-to-watch-meet-some-of-college-hockeys-impact-defensemen-for-2014-15/

“He’s obviously a very, very good offensive player,” Maine coach Dennis “Red” Gendron told USCHO in Oct. 2014. “He has above-average instincts, and he knows what to do with the puck. He’s probably a little underrated defensively. He doesn’t skate around the ice looking for the big hit. But he uses his stick and his reach. He keeps things simple.”

I haven't heard much from Hutton in the last few hours, I'm getting concerned about his development. He's not even playing tonight, Willie D's obviously holding him back.

I'll need some more ayahuasca and a roundhouse kick to the temple...then we can talk trades.

On a side note, I heard Pierre MacGuire talking about Hutton a while back. He's waaaay higher on Hutton than he is on McNally, and it wasn't a shot at McNally at all. He's seen both of them live.

Edited by Amish Rake Fighter
  • Upvote 1

Just talked with #Canucks defenseman Ben Hutton, who leaves U of Maine tomorrow to join the Utica Comets.

Hutton on leaving college early :"Biggest decision of my hockey career, all week I was talking to my parents, agents & coaches.." #Canucks

Hutton says a phone call from #Canucks gm Jim Benning earlier this week played a huge role in his decision, sealed the deal.

well, yeah... all benning had to say was "we want to sign you and pay you more money than you've ever had i your life to play a game you love... oh and you can probably finish your degree in the summer or whatever"

I doubt he said that, lol. Probably talked about where he is on the depth chart and about his chances of making the team

• Upvote 1

Him playing this weekend will depend on the health of Andersson and Pedan I think. If both of them miss time, the Comets defense is only 7 deep.

Biega, Sanguinetti, Huskins, Earhardt, Negrin, Blain, Hutton.

But when healthy, and if Hutton is ready to play in the A, D pairings could look like this:

Andersson-Sanguinetti

Huskins-Pedan

Hutton-Biega

Looks good to me! :)

Edited by wshdrvvn

^so they sometimes have to sit vets instead of prospects to make up the right ratio?

What is the AHL's development rule?

In the AHL, player development is a top priority. The American Hockey League and the Professional Hockey Players' Association have the following development rule in place:

Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as "development players." Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.