Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

I understand what you are saying. I envision something like this:

 

Sedin  Sedin  Eriksson

Baer   Horvat  Virtanen

Etem  Sutter   Hansen

 

If you want to play Sutter's line as the second line that's fine. I think a top 9 like that would allow us to compete for a playoff spot, especially with our back end solidified and our 1-2 punch in goal. The only question mark in that top 9 is Virtanen. Can he take the next step or will he end up in Utica?

 

As for Sutter he's never played wing in his life. He will be our 2-3 centre next year. Now if Benning wants to splash out more cash then you can add a Lucic or a Brouwer into that mix. However with Boeser coming up the following year I'd rather just go with the kids then signing another high priced UFA. The other option is to sign Brouwer instead of Eriksson to play with the twins as others have mentioned. I wouldn't be opposed to that. I just feel Eriksson overall would bring more goals to the table, especially on the power play. 

 

And if we need more toughness then I would suggest signing Matt Martin to play a 4th line bang and crash role. Would prefer that then to spend $6 million for Lucic. 

We have the Sedins for two more seasons and they will likely retire from the NHL.  Let's finally give them the triplet they have never had and sign Eriksson.  They already know each other and enjoy playing together.  What's not to like.  

 

Having a bonified top line of Sedin/Sedin/Eriksson will allow our 2a/2b lines to be more effective.  Hopefully Willie will play a line matching game as he would have the personnel to make it happen.  By adding in a right winger we force completion to be fierce for the other spots.

 

That being said, Eriksson is my second choice as a FA.  We should be going hard after Stamkos if he is still available.  Checks a lot of boxes on our retool list.  Young, proven Center (RW on power play with Sedins... Awesome) who would allow us to build a 1a/1b team with a 3rd and 4th line.  2011 style team.  How can we say no to a 40 goal scorer next year if we can sign him?

 

 If we sign a Matt Martin style player, we would tie up cap for a redundant player (Dorrset) and would only work if we let a player go.  This is not including letting Burrows and Higgins go either.  Not against it, but who do we ship out?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

We have the Sedins for two more seasons and they will likely retire from the NHL.  Let's finally give them the triplet they have never had and sign Eriksson.  They already know each other and enjoy playing together.  What's not to like.  

 

Having a bonified top line of Sedin/Sedin/Eriksson will allow our 2a/2b lines to be more effective.  Hopefully Willie will play a line matching game as he would have the personnel to make it happen.  By adding in a right winger we force completion to be fierce for the other spots.

 

That being said, Eriksson is my second choice as a FA.  We should be going hard after Stamkos if he is still available.  Checks a lot of boxes on our retool list.  Young, proven Center (RW on power play with Sedins... Awesome) who would allow us to build a 1a/1b team with a 3rd and 4th line.  2011 style team.  How can we say no to a 40 goal scorer next year if we can sign him?

 

 If we sign a Matt Martin style player, we would tie up cap for a redundant player (Dorrset) and would only work if we let a player go.  This is not including letting Burrows and Higgins go either.  Not against it, but who do we ship out?  

Wasn't JB in Boston when they traded Seguin for Erikson? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alf,

 

It kinda ties it all up in a little bow.  Besides it would make complete sense and is the most likely outcome this FA season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Ben Hutton is quite a guy... Forgot this was the Ben Hutton thread.  

 

He will look good with Gudbranson I hope.  If they can form some chemistry, Hutton could take some risks and Gudbranson may start to produce a bit more offensively.  That would do a lot to avert the sophomore jinx that tends to hit players in Huttons shoes.  

 

Edler. Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Sbisa. Trymakin

Pedan Larsen

 

if the they are all in game shape to start the season, we have a decent defence for this season, lots of question marks, but good potential.  If there are no more changes, this group would most likely struggle early on, but with some decent coaching, could gel for the second half.  

 

What I like about Hutton and Trymakin, is they have tantalizing skill sets, that if realized would help the franchise drastically.  

 

The group as is, would be deeper than last years.  With a lot more snarl. Our goalies should be happier.  

 

Lets see if JB and Hammer can work out a deal... If so Sbisa should be moving on.   

 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This kid has great offensive instincts.  He will do well with that big lug looking out for him.  I look forward to seeing him get a chance to produce on the PP and rack up some #s in the coming years.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I like about Hutton is he's shown he can play the big minutes. So has Gudbranson. That should allow the Canucks to cut Edler and Tanev's minutes to something not "Edler played 27 minutes or more in the last 5 games" like we saw last season.

And with Tryamkin, totally possible we see Edler off the PK altogether.

 

Sutter-Hansen 

Tryamkin-Gudbranson

 

That's an intimidating PK that will seriously punish a team that makes a mistake.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

What I like about Hutton is he's shown he can play the big minutes. So has Gudbranson. That should allow the Canucks to cut Edler and Tanev's minutes to something not "Edler played 27 minutes or more in the last 5 games" like we saw last season.

And with Tryamkin, totally possible we see Edler off the PK altogether.

 

Sutter-Hansen 

Tryamkin-Gudbranson

 

That's an intimidating PK that will seriously punish a team that makes a mistake.

I often read your posts Body, and clearly you understand the game better than most here.  You're right again about increased soft minutes for Edler.  Now where did you play?  OHL?  ECHL?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I often read your posts Body, and clearly you understand the game better than most here.  You're right again about increased soft minutes for Edler.  Now where did you play?  OHL?  ECHL?  

I only played to Junior A. My great uncle was a former Canuck though. Gregg Boddy. Dad was an assistant in the OHL. Bit of a hockey family. Should've stuck with it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

I understand what you are saying. I envision something like this:

 

Sedin  Sedin  Eriksson

Baer   Horvat  Virtanen

Etem  Sutter   Hansen

 

If you want to play Sutter's line as the second line that's fine. I think a top 9 like that would allow us to compete for a playoff spot, especially with our back end solidified and our 1-2 punch in goal. The only question mark in that top 9 is Virtanen. Can he take the next step or will he end up in Utica?

 

As for Sutter he's never played wing in his life. He will be our 2-3 centre next year. Now if Benning wants to splash out more cash then you can add a Lucic or a Brouwer into that mix. However with Boeser coming up the following year I'd rather just go with the kids then signing another high priced UFA. The other option is to sign Brouwer instead of Eriksson to play with the twins as others have mentioned. I wouldn't be opposed to that. I just feel Eriksson overall would bring more goals to the table, especially on the power play. 

 

And if we need more toughness then I would suggest signing Matt Martin to play a 4th line bang and crash role. Would prefer that then to spend $6 million for Lucic. 

Eriksson? Meh. Yet another LH RW for the Sedins. Sutter's really more of a goal scorer than playmaker, so, I think it'd be worth a shot. You're forgetting the Canucks experimented with Hansen at centre under AV, and Torts had Kesler at RW. And, for whatever reason, Scott Hartnell found himself in Tort's doghouse this season in Columbus. I think his contract runs only 1 year beyond the Sedins, but, I would bet he'd waive his NTC to come here. I'd love to see him opposite Hansen on the 2nd line. Would just be a matter of acquiring the right playmaker to center it. His cap hit is at least a full $2M less than the Sedins. I don't think he's worth a singular top prospect, but, 2-3 of the younger guys with no future with this organisation could work. Would save Benning from having to chase any high-priced UFA's for the offence, even though I wouldn't mind Okposo. Would rather see UFA's added on defence. I'd like to see Darren Archibald get another shot at 4th line LW duty than Matt Martin. Assuming Gaunce centers that line. But, who knows where he ends up...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hutton and Tanev both have good offensive skills. but Hutton more because that's just how he plays to be affective. and Tanev likes to show that he's a great defender. both these guys played their games to get to the nhl. don't expect them to change it, but improve on it.

Hutton needs to improve defense, and Tanev needs to improve offense.

i like them both.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In every post-season interview, he's talked about wanting to score more goals -- something he's been used to in the past and is apparently expecting to do.  Many times last season he broke to the net and was wide open but no one ever got him the puck.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Totally thought Ben was going to Rick Roll those other guys on the dock and just let them jump and laugh at'em.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think he'll suffer the sophmore jinx . Which I think mostly applies to forwards..and our forwards can only go up next season scoring wise. I think Hutton should get more time on the pp less Edler please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't think he'll suffer the sophmore jinx . Which I think mostly applies to forwards..and our forwards can only go up next season scoring wise. I think Hutton should get more time on the pp less Edler please

Edler is great on the power play!...if the objective was to hit shinguards. I wouldn't mind seeing Gudbranson-Hutton with the Sedins for the passing of Hutton and the right shot bomb of Gudbranson. Unlikely to last long since we need to have a forward on the back end for pp time as well as Edler+Larsen, but it'd be interesting to see. 

Edited by IBacon Strips
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, IBacon Strips said:

Unlikely to last long since we need to have a forward on the back end for pp time

Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

FTFY :P 

LOL!

 

However the 'VIKING' unit will no doubt be deployed on most PPs - Sedin, Sedin, Ericsson, Edler,  Larsen!

 

Subban is,  well........not Viking ^_^!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.