Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

19 minutes ago, PlanB said:

Why?

They have Sedins and Eriksson for first line, but horvat/sutter/baer/rodin probably will all need pp time and baer played the point well last year. They also might prefer to keep Gud as a defensive only guy kinda like Tanev so they aren't too taxed playing all special teams. 

5 minutes ago, PlanB said:

LOL!

However the 'VIKING' unit will no doubt be deployed on most PPs - Sedin, Sedin, Ericsson, Edler,  Larsen!

Subban is,  well........not Viking ^_^!

The E-Team :P 

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 10:06 PM, Boddy604 said:

I only played to Junior A. My great uncle was a former Canuck though. Gregg Boddy. Dad was an assistant in the OHL. Bit of a hockey family. Should've stuck with it.

I remember your uncle playing. Big guy who liked to hit.

I honestly cannot say that I have seen Gudbranson play a lot. A solid 2nd pairing should reduce Edler and Tanev's ice time which over a season work much better. IMHO Gudbranson is the biggest question mark going into the season. If he comes out as reported his impact could affect all the d-core pairings. Van has not had a big physical d-man for many years.

• Upvote 1

I think Edler has stopped firing his shots because he's afraid of hurting someone (esp our forwards) he doesn't seem that into it. 

If he's gunshy he should let someone else shoot.

Ben Hutton takes Canucks TV on a tour of his high school and shares some of the things he values most about his off-season in Prescott, Ont.

• Upvote 1

Ben Hutton shows how he unwinds in the off-season and reconnects with friends, and reveals why everybody calls him "Smiley."

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

awesome.."there's another gear there..."

haha, my mom thinks I'm special too.

Hutton managed 25 pts in 75 games later year. What is a realistic expectation this year points wise. 

I'm hoping for 30. 35 if he finds himself on the top pp unit for a significant amount of time.

Edited by Gooseberries
  • Upvote 1

I think he'll get more opportunities on the pp I like the idea of pairing him with a stay at home defenseman and letting him free wheel a bit more. esp joining the rush 

4 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Hutton managed 25 pts in 75 games later year. What is a realistic expectation this year points wise. 

I'm hoping for 30. 35 if he finds himself on the top pp unit for a significant amount of time.

I dont thinm 35 is out of reach for him next year at all next year, I've been following hutton oretty close since we drafted him. When he was in for the hobey baker award a few years ago it spiked my interest further. 

This kid has has huge upside, I remember watching him play a couple game online and he looked like a forward the way he attacked. He was always in a good spot defensively, and made smart passes. 

Im a homor so my expectations are inflated but I can see Hutton topping out at 45-50 points at his peak. I don't see why he can't become a number 2 d man in todays NHL

The Curious Case of Benjamin (B)Hutton.

He should install some targets into his practice net.

looking forward to Hutton this year. 

I don't think it's out of the imagination for him to get 35 points. 

Bo in his first season had 25 points, and he got 40 last year (second season). that's an increase of 15 points. I'm not saying that Hutton will get 40 points, but it's not out of the realm of possibility, especially if he's going to be involved in powerplay time. 

• Upvote 1

Needs to work on improving his shot and defensive game.

His play without the puck in his own zone isn't bad but it isn't great either. People tend to overlook this side of his game because Hutton is so good in his own end at moving the puck, which is a great trait. I do think he will gradually improve on that side of his game as it was only his first year last year and he has good people to learn from. Having Gudbranson as a partner and Tanev as a teammate will definitely help.

His shot is better than most of our players, which is good for him but bad for the Canucks in general, and I just don't feel he utilizes it enough on top of the coaching staff not consistently putting him in positions to do so last season, which was understandable seeing as he was a rookie. That will change though with Hutton taking up a top 4 role. Despite those facts he should try to improve what he already has, if Hutton had the ability where he could consistently hit double digits in goals on top of his puck moving skills and offensive instincts then he would be a very dangerous and key player on a PP for many years.

He doesn't need to assert himself more physically, I don't feel that he need to as that is not the type of player he is. He will also be able to make more of an impact within his physical play when he gains more muscle and weight. If he were to assert himself as physical as he was last year, with improved strength with more weight, I would be content. He is already more assertive in that part of the game than Tanev is and Tanev is our best defenseman defensively and our most consistent.

Improving on those parts of his game seems doable over time. Hutton, to me, is capable of reaching his peak fairly soon in his career(I don't mean as soon as this season, I am being broad) because as a 2nd year player he has a great base to work with and there's not much holding him back from doing so. I feel like I don't even need to be as hopeful because I am pretty confident in Hutton's ability and capability in improving his game.

If there are hockey gods then they blessed us with Hutton after those years with an incompetent D-core. He was definitely a lucky find, thanks MG.

Edited by Junkyard Dog