The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

Um Baerstchi pretty much has to be in the line up or guess what, we just wasted a 2nd rounder on a ufa, and Clendenning is in the same boat.

Time to wave a good bye to Bieksa in the off-season. I know it will be hard for many of the Canucks' fans to do this.

I was saying no to the notion of Virtanen, Shinkaruk, Gaunce and Hutton all making the team.

Um Baerstchi pretty much has to be in the line up or guess what, we just wasted a 2nd rounder on a ufa, and Clendenning is in the same boat.

Time to wave a good bye to Bieksa in the off-season. I know it will be hard for many of the Canucks' fans to do this.

Time to wave a good bye to Weber in the Off-season.

Bieksa's not going anywhere.

• Upvote 1

hopefully virtanen, baerchi, shinkaruk, gaunce, hutton, corrado, clendenning steal spots in sept

The only way Vancouver would insert that much youth into the lineup all at once would be if they decide to tank for 30th place. It's a year too late for that kind of tank. Buffalo is winning the McEichel sweepstakes.

BoKnows53

Have you seen Weber's cap numbers recently? $850 he's a steal.

He has done very well paired with Hamhuis and has been awesome on the pp. He has the most goals of Canuck defensemen and has only been used on the 1st unit recently. Crazy talk.

Time to wave a good bye to Weber in the Off-season.

Bieksa's not going anywhere.

I was a big supporter of bringing over Clendening.

But he has lost roster battles now he was given a chance to win, in no particular order, to TVR, Rundblad, Dahlbeck and now Weber. Weber and Clendening are both RFA & will not command any big money in the off season.No reason not to bring them both back. IMO both will come to camp, and one will win the job. Clendening has to raise his game or we may very well see Weber back!

Even then Corrado could steal that same job, although he is by my understanding still waiver safe next year.

And I agree Bieksa will at worst play out his contract here.

Edited by Canuck Surfer

The only way Vancouver would insert that much youth into the lineup all at once would be if they decide to tank for 30th place. It's a year too late for that kind of tank. Buffalo is winning the McEichel sweepstakes.

Bottom Rung for Chychrun!

if they really play negrin because he's related to the canuck owners thats ridiculous its gonna be interesting to see what trades benning makes at draft we have to many nhl wingers next yr with baerchi coming up to bigs 3-4 players need to be gone plus we need a centre who actually wins face-offs other than horvat. plus utica has to many left shot dmen prospects and like 2-3 right handers hopefully benign will find balance there as well

Bold = Freudian slip? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I was a big supporter of bringing over Clendening.

But he has lost roster battles now he was given a chance to win, in no particular order, to TVR, Rundblad, Dahlbeck and now Weber. Weber and Clendening are both RFA & will not command any big money in the off season.No reason not to bring them both back. IMO both will come to camp, and one will win the job. Clendening has to raise his game or we may very well see Weber back!

Even then Corrado could steal that same job, although he is by my understanding still waiver safe next year.

And I agree Bieksa will at worst play out his contract here.

I agree, although best case scenario is that Benning just tells Bieksa "hey we aren't resigning u next year, might as well pack your bags" The only ones who want Bieksa back are the homers who are stuck living in the past that think Bieksa is a top 4 D-man. Theres 3 guys that play a similar role like him, and frankly for 4 million plus playing bottom pairing minutes doesn't make any sense.

Weber has been fairly decent defensively, but has the offensive production to warrant at least another contract. The guy had 2nd most goals from the back end last year and tops this year, a plus player for a majority of the year with an 850k cap hit. Give your head a shake if you dont think thats money well spent and then some

BoKnows53

Have you seen Weber's cap numbers recently? $850 he's a steal.

He has done very well paired with Hamhuis and has been awesome on the pp. He has the most goals of Canuck defensemen and has only been used on the 1st unit recently. Crazy talk.

BoKnowsAbsolutelySquat

I agree, although best case scenario is that Benning just tells Bieksa "hey we aren't resigning u next year, might as well pack your bags" The only ones who want Bieksa back are the homers who are stuck living in the past that think Bieksa is a top 4 D-man. Theres 3 guys that play a similar role like him, and frankly for 4 million plus playing bottom pairing minutes doesn't make any sense.

Do Canucks have three defencemen, of those ready to play in the NHL, who rush to stick up for teammates to discourage opponents from taking too many liberties? At this stage of his career I see that as a large portion of his value to the Canucks and can't think of another d-man on the Canucks who does it frequently.

Others in the system can replace and perhaps improve on his hockey play right now, but when one plays the Kings, the Jets and other intimidating teams having a steady deterrent can be an important part of the game.

I'm not asking whether Canucks have others that are capable of doing it and certainly most or perhaps all of the Canucks will have at some time stood up for a teammate, but who else besides Bieksa and Dorsett is willing to take a pounding to be a regular, steady deterrent that an opponent will expect to have to answer to if he takes too many liberties. (Kassian might also fit in that group and I think he did in the time leading up to his current time off with injury.)

edit-grammar

Edited by tyhee

Bieksa's CAP hit works against him along with his age. Sbisa is the future and he is cheaper. Does Bieksa resign cheaper? He does not have to as other teams will want him. He has also adjusted his game which is quite noticeable. He is gambling less and it improves his game IMHO.

It will be a sad day when Bieksa moves on as he really has been a Canuck. In the end it is all about what he can bring back to the Canucks. He is still a valuable player. Canuck fans might be surprised if Tanev is moved instead. The upcoming playoffs will tell a lot and where this roster stands comes fall.

Weber has been fairly decent defensively, but has the offensive production to warrant at least another contract. The guy had 2nd most goals from the back end last year and tops this year, a plus player for a majority of the year with an 850k cap hit. Give your head a shake if you dont think thats money well spent and then some

There's a really good chance that Bieksa retires as a Canuck. When he's out, we miss his physical presence. As much as fans like to go after him, (I guess we always need one that we can pick on) we're a better team when he's in the lineup.

Would be completely okay seeing him resign a contract that takes him to end of his career and mentor some of the guys coming up. We need someone to show these kids how to fight and how to be a physical force.

Pedan, Tryamkin and Cederholm are the only really physical guys that we have in the defensive pipeline right now. We need someone to instill a little more physicality into the other guys coming up.

• Upvote 1

^^^ yes I agree.

Bieksa has been the ultimate teammate and Canuck. A true warrior that elevated his game come playoffs, played hurt, trained and worked to improve throughout his career and is one of the best character's to wear the uniform.

His future should be interesting.....If he will take a discount he probably will be kept as a character veteran to mentor the young guys, if not we'll he certainly could make a lot more on the open market. I think Kevin is smart enough to realize that although he may make less short term there's a good chance long term he could make more as a part of the organization.

I don't think Hutton's future effects Bieksa as much as Hamhuis. At this point that discussion is along ways away....Any reports on his game last night?

Edited by sting