The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:23 AM, GarthButcher5 said:

I think you have uncovered a larger problem with this team. For any player to play meaner, they need to be able to back it up. There are far too few players on this team who can back anything up and drop the gloves when they get challenged or the going gets tough.

Without a doubt, Hutton would be minced meat if he tried to play tough against a big forward like Lucic or the like. You need a better balance of puck movers and toughness.

I believe Hutton weighed 185 pounds when he broke in. Last year he topped out at 210. That was a big adjustment. I am not so worried about a players ability to fight as I am his ability to move players from the net front and battle hard in the corners. I thought Hutton improved in these areas this past season. Also thought that his speed was still there after the weight he put on. Looking forward to his season next year.

11 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

He even had that one open-ice hit near the end.  Moar, please?

I might be a little anxious for a d-man trade to maximize value in lieu of losing a top 4 grade d-man to the ED. No doubt Benning is exploring all the options.

IMHO many Canuck fans are forgetting how well the d-core was performing early in the season. The goals against were very competitive and the credit should not all go to the tenders. I am one of those who believe that a big physical d-core still stands as preferable over the course of a season and hopefully playoffs. If Hutton can play a solid physical game and retain his offensive speed and refine his ozone rushes he should be a keeper. I don't see him going anywhere until the TDL if at all.

Funny that there is no speculation on Karl Alzner to date. Not much offense to his game but not sure f that is because other CAPITALS d-men are picked for that. Talk of Orlov returning to Russia is a pretty weak negotiating ploy IMO. Word was Alzner would be gone because the Caps preferred Orlov.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Looking forward to see what Hutton brings this fall. I wonder if Ben realized the play of words there regarding Travis giving the Green light.

I have great expectations of Hutton this season. He put on 20 pounds last summer and I thought he finished the year well. His grin disguises his desire but it is there. Both he and Horvat ended the year with scraps and that was a signal to team mates IMHO. 

• Upvote 3

On 5/26/2017 at 9:10 AM, Dannydog said:

Huttons gonna be even better this year. A Tanev/hutty pairing looks pretty good, in my opinion. 

Agreed.  I was surprised that he regressed, but that was likely due to a multitude of factors like adjusting to his new body, etc.  I know a rookie year doesn't determine a ton, but he had some really decent numbers which leads me to believe he has a lot more to give than we've seen so far.  

On 5/28/2017 at 9:20 AM, Boudrias said:

I believe Hutton weighed 185 pounds when he broke in. Last year he topped out at 210. That was a big adjustment. I am not so worried about a players ability to fight as I am his ability to move players from the net front and battle hard in the corners. I thought Hutton improved in these areas this past season. Also thought that his speed was still there after the weight he put on. Looking forward to his season next year.

The turn around point for me on Hutton was his willingness to step up on Gryba after he hit Chaput. It showed me, at least, that he is capable of sticking up for his team mates and answer the bell when needed. As he matures, I'd like to see more of that physical edge from him.

Edited by komodo0921

14 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

The turn around point for me on Hutton was his willingness to step up on Gryba after he hit Chaput. It showed me, at least, that he is capable of sticking up for his team mates and answer the bell when needed. As he matures, I'd like to see more of that physical edge from him.

The 'Grin' is deceptive/disarming by design. I am expecting more physicality from Hutton this year. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-07-28 at 9:12 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Looking forward to see what Hutton brings this fall. I wonder if Ben realized the play on words there regarding Travis giving the Green light.

Here's hoping Travis Green cements himself some sort of legacy in Vancouver so that phrases like "that player was given the Green light" can be abused for years.

Also very interested to see Hutton this year.

With all the youth we've got now, he's almost got to be considered a leader... hopefully he can bring a level of consistency that rubs off on the newbies.

• Upvote 1

On 5/28/2017 at 9:20 AM, Boudrias said:

That's a big weight change.  Too much imo and may help in part to explain the sophomore slump.

Hutton embodies a trend towards accepting college players as NHL prospects.  I'm not sure if it's more an endorsement of the college system or the acceptance of smaller, faster players.  Many smaller or late bloomers have taken the college route.

Be that as it may, the college system with fewer games, more practice and good coaching and hockey instruction is showing success with players like Hutton.

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

That's a big weight change.  Too much imo and may help in part to explain the sophomore slump.

Hutton embodies a trend towards accepting college players as NHL prospects.  I'm not sure if it's more an endorsement of the college system or the acceptance of smaller, faster players.  Many smaller or late bloomers have taken the college route.

Be that as it may, the college system with fewer games, more practice and good coaching and hockey instruction is showing success with players like Hutton.

Add to that, college kids are taking classes, so working their minds too.  Maybe that helps with both maturity and processing?

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

It is a big weight change and that is why I am excited about what Hutton can show us. Hutton's challenge on size goes make to minor hockey. Always was smaller. My guess he is pretty attuned with what he has to do to succeed using his body. His weight gain from rookie to 2nd year is likely very calculated. IMHO fans should take a positive read on his progress. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It is a big weight change and that is why I am excited about what Hutton can show us. Hutton's challenge on size goes make to minor hockey. Always was smaller. My guess he is pretty attuned with what he has to do to succeed using his body. His weight gain from rookie to 2nd year is likely very calculated. IMHO fans should take a positive read on his progress. 

I agree. I think Hutton will play with a defined balance of his burgeoning skill, speed, and a healthy dose of physicality. I hearken back to that thunderous hit he leveled on a player towards the end of the season.

I forgot the player, but Hutton's hit was awesome.

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Could be telling because Hutton and Virtanen spent a lot of time together in the summer.  Both were partying a bit too hard together.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Not sure I agree with the above. I thought Hutton has been playing sloppy; maybe it is just a lack of confidence?

I really hope he finds his A game and keeps it going consistently because the first 3 games I have seen him make some really bad plays that lead to grade A scoring chances against.

I would prefer to see Hutton and Stecher  with more seasoned dmen.  With the possibility of Edler being out, it will really be a difficult thing to do.

With Edler...

Edler Stecher

Hutton  Tanev

DMZ  Gud

Without Edler...

DMZ   Tanev

Hutton  Gud

Wiercioch   Stecher

Biega