The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luca Sbisa | #5 | D

-SN-

I'm not going to lie, for a 25/26 year old defenseman, I saw great strides in his game last year. He hasn't hit his prime nor do I think we've seen his best. His contract is a bit rich, but I feel like Benning see's something we don't. Excited to see how he does next year after his progression last year.

Sbisa is best when paired with a PMD. A third pairing Sbisa-Larsen could work really well.

On international stage Sbisa was often paired with Mark Streit who has similarities with Larsen. I really think this will work well.

Hutton Tanev

Tryamkin Gudbranson

Sbisa Larsen

Pedan

Biega

Edler traded and

Hamhuis rights are traded for picks

With Edler-Tanev & Hutton-Gudbranson filling out the top 4, that leaves Sbisa, Tryamkin, Larsen, Pedan, & Biega to duke it out for the bottom pairing.

When you look at it that way and consider Tryamkin & Pedan both bring basically the same strengths that Sbisa does, Sbisa starts to just look like the extra cuz of his price tag. 

Ship him off and let Tryamkin, Pedan, Larsen, and Biega be bottom pairing + depth. For considerably cheaper.

On 31/05/2016 at 9:34 PM, Oregon.Duck said:

I'm not going to lie, for a 25/26 year old defenseman, I saw great strides in his game last year. He hasn't hit his prime nor do I think we've seen his best. His contract is a bit rich, but I feel like Benning see's something we don't. Excited to see how he does next year after his progression last year.

If he settles his game down and c9 plays like he did in his rookie year with his now x years xp he's going to be a very good day man. Maybe top 3. 

If we keep him maybe he will excel with less pressure. He looked great before his hand injury last season.

On 04/06/2016 at 0:29 PM, the harry said:

Sbisa is best when paired with a PMD. A third pairing Sbisa-Larsen could work really well.

On international stage Sbisa was often paired with Mark Streit who has similarities with Larsen. I really think this will work well.

Hutton Tanev

Tryamkin Gudbranson

Sbisa Larsen

Pedan

Biega

Edler traded and

Hamhuis rights are traded for picks

I hope pedan is traded. Rather keep sbisa with tryamkin guddy and edler flattening people out.

I hope with edler a injury and the realize he's 30 will inspire him to be the best version of himself he can be!

Pedans comments on McCann kinda soured me towards him. I was happy to hear another perspective but I think that's not going to help his teammates trust him if he's gonna talk smack. 

We got a lot of d. Sbisa would probably return more then pedan but I would rather keep sbisa unless we're bringing back hammer or pick chicky.

I'd sooner re-sign Hammer and trade Sbisa if that was at all in the cards.  I think with the addition of Gubranson and assuming Tryamkin starts the season in our lineup, I think we would be better off with another all-around solid defenseman in Hammer than we would a slightly more physical player but far less defensively aware player in Sbisa.

I'd also rather see Pedan stick around as he seems to have untapped potential, whereas we know exactly what we have in Sbisa.  And if Pedan didn't work out, I'm actually remotely excited to see if Larsen can contribute at this level.

On 6/5/2016 at 9:50 AM, suitup said:

If there is someone to use as bait, this is the man. 

I expect you mean as in a trade, and not for a bear hunt.  

Yes, the Oilers might take him for us to switch top picks.  I wonder if that would be a fair trade?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I expect you mean as in a trade, and not for a bear hunt.  

Yes, the Oilers might take him for us to switch top picks.  I wonder if that would be a fair trade?

Hahaha yes. I can see Chiarelli being interested in Sbisa's physical game and looking at the Oilers backend, even Sbisa would be of help. 

Our pick and their pick are literately side by side with essentially two options being PLD and MT. Personally the only way this trade could happen is if JB thinks that Chiarelli is going to take the player he wants at 4. Looking at the Oilers roster, I think they have a greater need for a first line complimentary winger like MT to go with their elite talents in Draisaitl and McDavid. MT fills that role perfectly as he will be able to dig pucks out for McDavid or Draisaitl like he did for Marner and Dvorak this year.

I honestly think JB wants PLD especially with the trade with McCann. PLD has been on record in an interview saying that he feels more comfortable at left wing since that is where he has played all his life, but also thinks that he plays his best hockey at centre. The change to centre is most likely the cause for his meteoric rise from the second half of the season. This tells me that PLD will most likely play centre at the next level unless he gets drafted by a team with an abundance of centres. 

I highly doubt either parties would really want to make this trade, but assuming they do, I don't think JB would pull the trigger on the trade with Sbisa. The reason being that Tkachuk's and PLD's value is so similar that they're almost interchangeable. To JB Sbisa is probably worth more than the difference between the two players. I'm not too sure where Sbisa's value is on the market, but I don't think highly of it. As I mentioned earlier, I think JB would disagree with me. 

16 minutes ago, suitup said:

Hahaha yes. I can see Chiarelli being interested in Sbisa's physical game and looking at the Oilers backend, even Sbisa would be of help. 

Our pick and their pick are literately side by side with essentially two options being PLD and MT. Personally the only way this trade could happen is if JB thinks that Chiarelli is going to take the player he wants at 4. Looking at the Oilers roster, I think they have a greater need for a first line complimentary winger like MT to go with their elite talents in Draisaitl and McDavid. MT fills that role perfectly as he will be able to dig pucks out for McDavid or Draisaitl like he did for Marner and Dvorak this year.

I honestly think JB wants PLD especially with the trade with McCann. PLD has been on record in an interview saying that he feels more comfortable at left wing since that is where he has played all his life, but also thinks that he plays his best hockey at centre. The change to centre is most likely the cause for his meteoric rise from the second half of the season. This tells me that PLD will most likely play centre at the next level unless he gets drafted by a team with an abundance of centres. 

I highly doubt either parties would really want to make this trade, but assuming they do, I don't think JB would pull the trigger on the trade with Sbisa. The reason being that Tkachuk's and PLD's value is so similar that they're almost interchangeable. To JB Sbisa is probably worth more than the difference between the two players. I'm not too sure where Sbisa's value is on the market, but I don't think highly of it. As I mentioned earlier, I think JB would disagree with me. 

Hey, great post!

What about this scenario?  JB makes the deal - Sbisa + 5 for 4.  Then JB trades 4 to Arizona, who draft Tkatchuk, in trade for picks 7 and 20?  I think that would make me :frantic:

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hey, great post!

What about this scenario?  JB makes the deal - Sbisa + 5 for 4.  Then JB trades 4 to Arizona, who draft Tkatchuk, in trade for picks 7 and 20?  I think that would make me :frantic:

Thanks Alf! 

I think to break this down we need to have a look at players that are being projected to be picked around those draft picks. That should help determine the value of those picks in a trade. What the Coyotes could potentially be getting at 4th is PLD or MT. In this scenario we're going to assume they're going to be selecting MT. Then at 7 and 20, we're looking at a plethora of different players that could be selected since there is a drop off from 5 to 6. Because BOTH the Canucks' AND the Coyotes' needs are at defense, we can assume that the value of both 7 and 20 to both teams are defenseman. So now we're talking about players like Juoveli, Chychrun, Sergachev (your favorite), McAvoy Fabbro, Stanley and Bean. Or even a centre like Jost, Brown, Keller, Mcleod if they would like.

This would be a great move for the Canucks if JB feels confident about the defensemen that he could potentially be getting at 7 and 20. But since both the Coyotes AND the Canucks want defensemen, I can see picks 7 and 20 being more valuable in that situation than 4 alone. 

Like I mentioned earlier with the departure of McCann, I think the Canucks would want a surefire centre who can potentially be a number 1 more than the Coyotes would (Coyotes have Strome). From my understanding, I believe Arizona needs defensemen. As enticing as being able to potentially draft the other Scottsdale native in Tkachuk, I think they're better off keeping those picks to bolster their blue line.

In that case, I see 4 being more valuable to the Canucks than it would to Arizona where they already have great wingers (Domi, Duclair, Dvorak, Perlini, Merkley, Reider, Samuelsson, Fischer) and not too shabby at centre (Strome, Dauphin, MacInnis). While at defense outside OEL and Stone, they don't have much with their top D prospect being Connor Garland at 5'8. With their depth of wingers and lack of defense, that decreases the value of 4 even more to the Coyotes. 

I would say if I were the Coyotes, I would NOT make that trade with the Canucks. But if I had to, I would make a trade involving Arizona's wingers and the Canucks' defense (which the Canucks do not have much of). 

On 5/31/2016 at 10:35 AM, Qwags said:

Pretty expensive bottom #5-6 D-man.

I'd be happy to pay a lot more if it gives us a quality player on the bottom pairing.  No more Murray Barons or Andrew Albertses.

That bottom pairing takes on a lot of importance in the playoffs.  I don't want a moneyball after-thought.

On 6/5/2016 at 2:27 PM, Boddy604 said:

With Edler-Tanev & Hutton-Gudbranson filling out the top 4, that leaves Sbisa, Tryamkin, Larsen, Pedan, & Biega to duke it out for the bottom pairing.

When you look at it that way and consider Tryamkin & Pedan both bring basically the same strengths that Sbisa does, Sbisa starts to just look like the extra cuz of his price tag. 

Ship him off and let Tryamkin, Pedan, Larsen, and Biega be bottom pairing + depth. For considerably cheaper.

That picture looks a little different if you don't believe in Pedan.  Personally, I'd be pretty shocked if we subtract from our D group.

If Benning is serious about re-signing Hamhuis, he's gotta be fielding calls about Sbisa right now I would think.

It makes no sense to have both Hamhuis and Sbisa. Too much cap, and it would force a young guy like Tryamkin out of the lineup.

Gotta trade Sbisa first though, otherwise no team is gonna give us fair value knowing we have to get rid of him.

• 4 weeks later...

Sbisa, Tryamkin, and Pedan all play a similar game. And I think 1 of them will be moved before the start of the season

Hopefully it's Sbisa, then we can have Pedan/Tryamkin rotate on the 3rd LHD spot with Larsen on RHD.

2 hours ago, Gyllenhaal said:

Sbisa, Tryamkin, and Pedan all play a similar game. And I think 1 of them will be moved before the start of the season

Hopefully it's Sbisa, then we can have Pedan/Tryamkin rotate on the 3rd LHD spot with Larsen on RHD.

You can add Biega to that group of similar defenseman. Of the 5 guys we have competing for the 3rd pairing and extra defenseman, I'd say Larsen has an edge if just for offensive ability. 

I like the idea of moving Sbisa, but with his cap I think it unlikely. The return would only complicate our team, as we would presumably pick up a forward or forwards with similar or equal cap value. Then, would that force Virtanen/Gaunce to start in Utica, or likewise Rodin to use his euro-out clause. 

I'm curious as to what will come with the Canucks, and Benning's vague statement of wanting another tough/skilled forward. 

Archived