The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luca Sbisa | #5 | D

-SN-

4 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Luca played a solid game last night. One of the few players on the ice that was playing a physical game and laying the body. Also made some smart decisions and nice passes. Zero pizzas were delivered by the pizza man. 

lmao plus 1

20 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

People have seriously got to lay off this guy.  He's improved a lot since getting here and his developmental curve is no different from a lot of good D who don't figure out their game until the second half of their 20s.  Paired with someone like Stecher who can retrieve and move the puck he will be a top-4 quality D for us in a year or two if he isn't already.  His ceiling is probably lower than Edler's or Gudbranson's, but not by that much, and he's getting there.

If Sbisa continues to bring a consistent physical game with speed, and Edler finds his inner Viking again, this defense could be nightmarish for the opposition considering that Gudbranson is a monster and Tryamkin a Leviathan. Add smart and capable young players in Tanev and Hutton and this defense boasts a multifaceted skill set. Pretty awesome work by Benning. 

19 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Sbisa continues to bring a consistent physical game with speed, and Edler finds his inner Viking again, this defense could be nightmarish for the opposition considering that Gudbranson is a monster and Tryamkin a Leviathan. Add smart and capable young players in Tanev and Hutton and this defense boasts a multifaceted skill set. Pretty awesome work by Benning. 

Totally agree:  our D is going to surprise a lot of people this year, and in a good way.  With Juolevi, Stecher and Subban phasing in shortly, it will be even better in the years ahead.

Watched him closely in the EU versus the Team NA. It was a sad effort by the EU team and there was a lot of pressure on the EU defense throughout the game. NA scored with Sbisa in the box as he had pulled down a player going around him. His coach was playing him in all situations. Not sure what the d-side posture was as there was a lot of running around.

Another game today which should be interesting.  

22 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I know you are not really implying it Phil but we shouldn't underestimate how smart Tryamkin is. He came over as a pretty savvy cookie in his interviews and I suspect we are being influenced by his size and bulk into thinking he is maybe a bit "unrefined" Same goes for Guddy imo.

49 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I know you are not really implying it Phil but we shouldn't underestimate how smart Tryamkin is. He came over as a pretty savvy cookie in his interviews and I suspect we are being influenced by his size and bulk into thinking he is maybe a bit "unrefined" Same goes for Guddy imo.

I think that both Tryamkin and Gudbranson have a lot more to give this team than just massive size and strength.

Tryamkin showed that he could read the game very well last season. Gudbranson has great endurance and thinks the game extremely well. Both players aren't one trick ponies by any stretch of the imagination. However after being manhandled for so many years, it's nice to have players that possess such great size and strength, and the willingness to use it. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think that both Tryamkin and Gudbranson have a lot more to give this team than just massive size and strength.

Tryamkin showed that he could read the game very well last season. Gudbranson has great endurance and thinks the game extremely well. Both players aren't one trick ponies by any stretch of the imagination. However after being manhandled for so many years, it's nice to have players that possess such great size and strength, and the willingness to use it. 

I noticed Tryamkin's smarts for offence a few times last season.  He filled a lane (for him two lanes - :lol:) but was on the ice with grinders, who didn't pick him up, or he would have had clear shots at net.  

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Willie thinks Sbisa should be in the top 4 this season.

Let that sink in.

I'll be crying in the back of the room if you need me...

Luca Sbisa is being dragged down by Kopitar & Hossa with their -3 ratings last game. 

Edit: Would love to see Lui do well for team Europe but it's not going to be indicative of his play for us... I'll let him step on GM Place ice before jumping to any conclusions 

(I refuse to call it the actual name of the Arena - that company is a crooked oligopoly running POS)  

Just now, apollo said:

Luca Sbisa is being dragged down by Kopitar & Hossa with their -3 ratings last game. 

Sbisa is only one d-man and yet on these boards it sounds like he is the only problem in his group. As you suggest fans should be looking at who is on the back check to help out the d-man. On the Goudro(?) goal Sbisa had not only him but another forward who was already moving around him on his right side. I never did see who was on the back check. On the other goal he was on the ice for it was a deflection into the net.

All this aside the EU team looks confused on the ice. The NA speed is exceptional and they have had some puck luck to go along with it. Hanson is almost invisible out there. Has he got a shot yet? 

Eu looked BAD.  But good on em for pulling out a bit of a come back on the shoulders of Halak.

Sbisa was brutal imo.  He just makes poor reads so consistently.  Yes he can play a physical game, but his pivots are atrocious and if he makes the wrong read, he is generally unable to recover and gets walked.  All Gaudreau did was cut to the middle, which Sbisa read wrong and he couldnt make any kind of recovery, not even a desperation check... Also his puck skills are sloppy and is slow in the decision making area.  While there are some decent qualities (decent skater, decent shot, solid body checking, will drop the gloves), just too many flaws in his game.  I hope he gets outplayed by Juolevi, Tryamkin, and Larson and is put on waivers.  No offence Luca, but it's time for you to go.

Hansen was meh though he did make a couple nice plays, one of which should have been a tap in for his line mate.  Decent on the PK as well.  I think he takes a step back from his career year and once again resembles a status quo solid 3rd liner with inconsistent production.  Cant see his trade value being higher than it is right now.

Archived