The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luca Sbisa | #5 | D

-SN-

25 minutes last night and surprisingly a +7 on the season, Sbisa is having his best year and is surprising a lot of people. +7 on a brutal +/- team, Sbisa's slowly becoming one of the more underated Canucks for sure. He's not flashy except for when he makes mistakes, but he's been extremely solid for the Canucks and gives us a lot of options when Edler returns.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

25 minutes last night and surprisingly a +7 on the season, Sbisa is having his best year and is surprising a lot of people. +7 on a brutal +/- team, Sbisa's slowly becoming one of the more underated Canucks for sure. He's not flashy except for when he makes mistakes, but he's been extremely solid for the Canucks and gives us a lot of options when Edler returns.

You do know that often the best defencemen on bad teams have the lowest plus/minus and the worst defencemen on bad team often have the highest. Largely because plus/minus is team driven and doesn't factor for time on ice (along with a lot of other things like quality of comp.). I wouldn't say his 7+ is indicative of anything. Plus/Minus is just garbage. 

https://hockey-graphs.com/2016/11/01/behind-the-numbers-why-plusminus-is-the-worst-statistic-in-hockey-and-should-be-abolished/

• 4 weeks later...

Sbisa passed a couple of fan favourites (if only for a short time) his is assist tonight and will crack the top 200 all-time Canuck scorers with his next point.

200.  Greg Hawgood D 95 7 22 29
201.  Luca Sbisa D 163 6 23 29
202.  Mike Santorelli C 49 10 18 28
203.  Mats Sundin C 41 9 19 28
204.  Larry Goodenough D 113 7 21 28

When I decided to post the highest mover up the all-time scoring list after each game, never thought it would be Luca Sbisa two games in a row.  Yet here we are and Sbisa is now 198th.

197.  Maxim Lapierre C 149 14 16 30
198.  Luca Sbisa D 164 7 23 30
199.  Raffi Torres LW 80 14 15 29
200.  David Roberts LW 71 11 18 29
201.  Greg Hawgood D 95 7 22 29

His numbers are looking very solid this year. Never would have thought he would be second in D scoring this far through the season. Although it is more of a diss on the ability of our D to generate offence than a compliment to Sbisa. 

He is definitely earning his contract. We are 6-3-1 in our last 10. Sbisa has played over 20 minutes in 8/10. Last nights win was the fourth highest game of the year in terms of minutes (2nd most on the team). 

Glad to see that the dissing of Sbisa is finally done. I have been saying since last year that his came was amping up. This is why I repeatedly say that either Tanev or Edler should be traded into the TDL. Either would bring back serious forward assets and shorten the rebuild. Someone has to be moved or Van loses a top 4 d-man to Vegas for NOTHING! JR has it right.

18 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Huge Sbisa fan here.  Always like the way he plays the game... - with grit.

Stick on A on him as he is not going anywhere and can play the hard minutes - the right way. 

I agree. If we lose him in the expansion draft, I'll be pissed. 

He's been a good soldier for us, but Edler has to be exposed. He probably makes us a better team next year but in 3 years when Boeser and joelevi are breaking out, I want the guy who with the flick of his wrist, gets a kid a freakin dinosaur.

28 minutes ago, thad said:

I agree. If we lose him in the expansion draft, I'll be pissed. 

He's been a good soldier for us, but Edler has to be exposed. He probably makes us a better team next year but in 3 years when Boeser and joelevi are breaking out, I want the guy who with the flick of his wrist, gets a kid a freakin dinosaur.

Maybe extend Guddy on a "horribad" deal that all the pundits and analytics guys will say is just terrible? Like Sbisa's extension.  A deal so "bad" that Vegas wouldn't take him. Too worried about looking like "idiots" taking on "negative value."  Expose Guddy and protect Edler, Tanev, Sbisa. And then Vegas takes a forward (a situation we could also "massage" to our benefit) and we keep our D intact.

And then Guddy proves worthy of the deal over the coming years (like we've seen with Sbisa) and JB looks like a genius.

Hey, it could happen. ;) 

24 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Maybe extend Guddy on a "horribad" deal that all the pundits and analytics guys will say is just terrible? Like Sbisa's extension.  A deal so "bad" that Vegas wouldn't take him. Too worried about looking like "idiots" taking on "negative value."  Expose Guddy and protect Edler, Tanev, Sbisa. And then Vegas takes a forward (a situation we could also "massage" to our benefit) and we keep our D intact.

And then Guddy proves worthy of the deal over the coming years (like we've seen with Sbisa) and JB looks like a genius.

Hey, it could happen. ;) 

Haha I'd like to see Jim go to edler and say look for the long term goals of the team I have to protect Tanev Guddy and Sbisa. I'm sorry and we thank you for everything you've done but we have to expose you. If you would like I can try and find a playoff team to trade you to before you become the leader on the worst team in the league. 

I think not only is it the right thing to do long term, it would throw the fan base a bone that overwhelmingly wants to see us getting younger. Personally I'm fine with the direction of the team but a move like this could boost JB's approval rating after a large portion of the fan base and analysts bashed him for signing Louie.

If we overpay guddy, what's the Russian that refused to go to the ahl going to want? Haha. If Jim can get something decent back for Edler and Luca keeps getting better, he'll look like a super genius in a few years. Especially to a fan base that just had a disaster trade deadline a year ago.

• 2 months later...

Sbisa has really stepped up this year and has been a solid D. I don't want to lose him to Vegas for nothing but he is the odd man out right now, not by much though. Hoping Benning can trade one of Edler, Tanev or Sbisa before the expansion draft. Or give Vegas a low pick to take Dorsett or something. Anyways, a lot of respect for Sbisa in turning his game around!

15 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Sbisa has really stepped up this year and has been a solid D. I don't want to lose him to Vegas for nothing but he is the odd man out right now, not by much though. Hoping Benning can trade one of Edler, Tanev or Sbisa before the expansion draft. Or give Vegas a low pick to take Dorsett or something. Anyways, a lot of respect for Sbisa in turning his game around!

There has to be a deal simmering. Sbisa played well last night. If he can move Edler then all the better.

Sbisa's assist moved him into 195th in all-time Canuck scoring, nestled right behind expansion draft fodder of the past, Leif Rohlin.  Is this the ED version of immunity?

194.  Leif Rohlin D 96 8 24 32
195.  Luca Sbisa D 196 7 25 32
196.  Peter Zezel C 66 11 20 31
197.  Craig Coxe C 177 10 21 31

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:10 AM, Boudrias said:

There has to be a deal simmering. Sbisa played well last night. If he can move Edler then all the better.

Hopefully Benning can make Edler waive because otherwise this team will continue to suffer. Sbisa can be taken in the expansion draft as well.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hopefully Benning can make Edler waive because otherwise this team will continue to suffer. Sbisa can be taken in the expansion draft as well.

Edler does not have to waive. He has a NTC not a NMC. He can be exposed. Hopefully Benning asks Edler to waive his NTC for a trade to another team. Failing that a threat to leave him exposed to Vegas. Edler takes the trade as he knows already that the Twins are retiring. The Swedish mafia is being moved out!  

• 2 months later...

Archived