The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It would injure our blue line pretty badly.

Didn't exactly solidify it the past few seasons either.  Point is if there are teams who are high on Tanev,  then the best course of action is to move him.  He is overrated, brings zero physical or offensive production. He is replaceable and if our team is going to struggle and grow together, then another young piece or pick is a good thing.  I think he is definite draft trade bate

8 minutes ago, VenitoHammer said:

Didn't exactly solidify it the past few seasons either.  Point is if there are teams who are high on Tanev,  then the best course of action is to move him.  He is overrated, brings zero physical or offensive production. He is replaceable and if our team is going to struggle and grow together, then another young piece or pick is a good thing.  I think he is definite draft trade bate

It's pretty clear to me how dramatically different our team is with and without Tanev, just from watching. Even based on the numbers, it can be seen. With Tanev on the ice, our team had a .452 point percentage, with him gone, we were at .445. With him playing, our goals against per game was at about 3.07, without him it was 3.16. Tanev isn't just another run of the mill defensive defenseman that's easily replaced. He's a defensive master and there are few defensemen who can play to his level in that regard. Just because he doesn't wow you with big hits or points, it doesn't mean he's not a great player. Like the twins were for our forward core, I think Tanev (or Edler, I suppose) is core to keeping our young defenseman stable during their young growing years. If Tanev nets us a crazy return, sure, trade him, but don't underestimate his value to the Canucks during these rebuilding years.

I hope that means they have no intention of trading him.

It's possible to change up what one is doing to become more durable in certain areas. He's got an entire summer to do that, and our back end suffers when he's on playing.

People whine about wanting more top4 D, we've got a top4 "defensive defenceman" when he's healthy - so why would we want to unload him?

I'd say "sure" to a trade for Stamkos, but since that would never happen I'm happier keeping him. The 'rebuild' is coming to a close, and having a steady hand on the back end is exactly what the young guys are going to need. Look at the dumpster fire that is Edmonton - they didn't have anybody decent on the back end and all the firepower in the world. Still missed the playoffs.

Unless we want a perpetual rebuild for 20 years, trading away guys that are late 20s for guys that are early 20s every time is a poor idea.

On 5/9/2018 at 8:29 PM, -AJ- said:

It's pretty clear to me how dramatically different our team is with and without Tanev, just from watching. Even based on the numbers, it can be seen. With Tanev on the ice, our team had a .452 point percentage, with him gone, we were at .445. With him playing, our goals against per game was at about 3.07, without him it was 3.16. Tanev isn't just another run of the mill defensive defenseman that's easily replaced. He's a defensive master and there are few defensemen who can play to his level in that regard. Just because he doesn't wow you with big hits or points, it doesn't mean he's not a great player. Like the twins were for our forward core, I think Tanev (or Edler, I suppose) is core to keeping our young defenseman stable during their young growing years. If Tanev nets us a crazy return, sure, trade him, but don't underestimate his value to the Canucks during these rebuilding years.

Because of the injury history and Tanev's supposed value in the trade market I have wanted to move him. The Canucks are likely at least 3 years away from CUP play. All that said it is all about what comes back in any trade and thankfully Benning makes that call.  

On 11/05/2018 at 8:37 AM, Boudrias said:

Because of the injury history and Tanev's supposed value in the trade market I have wanted to move him. The Canucks are likely at least 3 years away from CUP play. All that said it is all about what comes back in any trade and thankfully Benning makes that call.  

This exactly.  I think defensive master is more of a hometown hero kind of approach.  On almost every other team he is a #3-4 and there are other guys out there who can not only defend, but also add a little grit or scoring touch from d. We absolutely have to move him and thankfully Edler is gone after next season.  We will never find the next Tanev/Edler or better if we are still holding on to nice memories of current Tanev/Edler

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Jim Benning on Sportsnet 650:

"We are not looking to move Chris Tanev."

Good.  Unless it was a big over-payment, we need to keep Tanev.  I think he will make a perfect partner (and mentor) for Juiolevi.  I see Tanev and Juiolevi as our second pair behind Edler and Gudbranson.

• Upvote 2

On 5/10/2018 at 8:31 AM, nzan said:

What trade rumours to Toronto? Has this actually been mentioned anywhere within the last weeks or is this just from months/years back?

No new rumours. He would love to play in Toronto but is happy in Vancouver. Toronto made a move for him in the last offseason but Vancouver didn't take the offer. 

When it comes to things like trade rumours in some regards he knows even less about them than we do. Players don't really have that much insight, but his agent did tell him about the Leafs making a move. I don't see the Leafs offering enough for us to trade him. 

46 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

No new rumours. He would love to play in Toronto but is happy in Vancouver. Toronto made a move for him in the last offseason but Vancouver didn't take the offer. 

When it comes to things like trade rumours in some regards he knows even less about them than we do. Players don't really have that much insight, but his agent did tell him about the Leafs making a move. I don't see the Leafs offering enough for us to trade him. 

You heard that he'd love to play in Toronto? 

I think that Toronto seems to think that they can low-ball other teams because they're the Maple Leafs. It shows in how they're shaping up as a team.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Would love the links to these two thoughts. If I heard Dave Pratt saying 'What we know is Tanev loves TO' I'd call BS.

I can't believe how many CDCers are trying to move Tanev. Canucks need 4 top 4 d-men. We have 2. Where is the hockey logic in dumping 1 of those 2. Suddenly Edler is left alone to carry a defence full of #5/ #6/ #7 d-men. We need another ( or 2 ) Tanevs, not 1 less ! I guess if we snap our fingers and John Carlson suddenly appears on our roster, things might work out.

18 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Does this mean we can lock all Tanev trade threads now?

:P

Works for me. It always amazes me how many people apparently want to dump any good players, to follow in the Oilers, Leafs and Sabres footsteps and ensure that the Canucks are a garbage team for at least a decade.

People who suggest trading Tanev want value back or no deal. I have called for dealing Tanev for over 2 years but still stand by JB if he cannot get value in return. Tanev has value both as a trade option or as a veteran d-man who can help the younger players coming on board. I opt to move him because of his injury history as much as anything else. I see value in either option. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1