The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Kind of interesting. THN piece calls Tanev a "second-pair defender forced into first-pair duty", but still ranks him higher than Chara, Vatanen, Nurse, Weber, Green, Leddy and Shattenkirk.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/a-ranking-of-the-31-nhl-teams-no-1-defenseman-in-2018-19

It's also interesting to see someone still ranking him as our number one guy. After his injury times last year and Edler's resurgence, a lot of people have moved to calling Edler our #1 guy again. I'm on the fence about it.

As much as I love Tanev and think he could thrive as a #2 guy, in most situations, he's probably more of a #3 guy. That said, I could see a situation similar to Methot-Karlsson working out for Tanev on a top pairing somewhere.

21 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It's also interesting to see someone still ranking him as our number one guy. After his injury times last year and Edler's resurgence, a lot of people have moved to calling Edler our #1 guy again. I'm on the fence about it.

As much as I love Tanev and think he could thrive as a #2 guy, in most situations, he's probably more of a #3 guy. That said, I could see a situation similar to Methot-Karlsson working out for Tanev on a top pairing somewhere.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Baertschi may have had all the points but it was Tanev fully into the top 100 as the highest mover up the all-time scoring list

98.  Dana Murzyn D 452 23 65 88
99.  Chris Tanev D 393 18 70 88
100.  Steve Tambellini LW 161 42 45 87

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Baertschi may have had all the points but it was Tanev fully into the top 100 as the highest mover up the all-time scoring list

98.  Dana Murzyn D 452 23 65 88
99.  Chris Tanev D 393 18 70 88
100.  Steve Tambellini LW 161 42 45 87

Really puts into perspective how paltry Murzyn's offense was.

With the apple in overtime, Tanev moves up another spot in Canuck all-time scoring, leaving Dana Murzyn in the dust.

97.  Paulin Bordeleau RW 183 33 56 89
98.  Chris Tanev D 396 18 71 89
99.  Dana Murzyn D 452 23 65 88
Edited by Wilbur
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Starting Lineup 29 October on Sportsnet 650 around the 2 hour mark - they are on iTunes.  Dhaliwal says his sources tell him that the Canucks have no interest in trading Tanev.  They want to keep him around to play with Hughes - at least for the start of his career.  

1 hour ago, mll said:

Starting Lineup 29 October on Sportsnet 650 around the 2 hour mark - they are on iTunes.  Dhaliwal says his sources tell him that the Canucks have no interest in trading Tanev.  They want to keep him around to play with Hughes - at least for the start of his career.  

So one year.

• 2 weeks later...

Tanev should not be traded, period. 

He is like the best case scenario defenceman to bring in both Juolevi and Hughes into the NHL.

IDC he may only play 50-60 games a season due to injuries. His 'mistake-free and always safety first' playing style is pretty much the PERFECT FOIL for other LHDs to make the team and gel - especially ones who are offensively talented.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Tanev should not be traded, period. 

He is like the best case scenario defenceman to bring in both Juolevi and Hughes into the NHL.

IDC he may only play 50-60 games a season due to injuries. His 'mistake-free and always safety first' playing style is pretty much the PERFECT FOIL for other LHDs to make the team and gel - especially ones who are offensively talented.

Depends on the plans for this summer. I'd be perfectly happy moving Tanev for futures and signing either Karlsson or Myers.

Dream scenario, we move Edler as well and then re-sign him July 1.

Edler, Karlsson/Myers

Hughes, Stecher/Guddy

Juolevi/Huttton, Guddy/Stecher

...plus a nice return on Tanev. Yes please.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Depends on the plans for this summer. I'd be perfectly happy moving Tanev for futures and signing either Karlsson or Myers.

Dream scenario, we move Edler as well and then re-sign him July 1.

Edler, Karlsson/Myers

Hughes, Stecher/Guddy

Juolevi/Huttton, Guddy/Stecher

...plus a nice return on Tanev. Yes please.

I wouldn't. 

Either way i'd keep Tanev around and Karlsson/Myers would put one of Guddy or Stecher on the block. Tanev is a mid-low end 1D or a top-end 2D. Having Karlsson maximizes not only Tanev, it gives us the perfect partner to bring in two new LHDs from the system, both of whom thrive/should thrive with a steady, no-nonsense, defensively-near-perfect defenseman like Tanev. 

Both Ollie and Hughes have an easier time making the NHL with Tanev as their partner, than anyone else you've named. 

Guddy is not a good partner for a new defenseman, pretty much because Guddy is not an error-free kinda guy like Tanev is. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

I wouldn't. 

Either way i'd keep Tanev around and Karlsson/Myers would put one of Guddy or Stecher on the block. Tanev is a mid-low end 1D or a top-end 2D. Having Karlsson maximizes not only Tanev, it gives us the perfect partner to bring in two new LHDs from the system, both of whom thrive/should thrive with a steady, no-nonsense, defensively-near-perfect defenseman like Tanev. 

Both Ollie and Hughes have an easier time making the NHL with Tanev as their partner, than anyone else you've named. 

Guddy is not a good partner for a new defenseman, pretty much because Guddy is not an error-free kinda guy like Tanev is. 

Certainly a possibility to move either Stech/Guddy instead but I personally doubt we move Guddy given his intangibles don't exist elsewhere in the lineup (and he's finally showing this year the guy we actually traded for). And personally I'd hang on to Stech vs a guy who I've heard rumors has zero intention of re-signing here when his deal's up next year.

I'd also only rate Tanev a 2B/3A D. He's EXCELLENT defensively and at transitioning the puck but is too 1 dimensional to be a true #1-2D IMO. Be an excellent add for a 2nd pair on a contender though.

I think we'd be just fine having Karlsson/Myers, Guddy and Stech for RD partners for Hughes/Juolevi :lol:

• Upvote 3