The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Tanev had an outstanding game tonight. I saw a lot of offensive moves from him that I don't often see. He was deserving of the 2nd star tonight.

Good to see after a stretch of what seemed to be ordinary play (by Tanev standards at least).

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Tanev had an outstanding game tonight. I saw a lot of offensive moves from him that I don't often see. He was deserving of the 2nd star tonight.

He really exhibited some fantastic decision making skills in the neutral zone with his puck movement today. I kind of hope we move him to a contender so he gets a fair shot at the Cup in his prime.

14 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He must have watched the HNIC panel talk about how Van coaching was holding his natural offence back. Two games in a row where Tanev is 'activated'. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Bring in Brisebois imo.

Hutton, Stecher

Brisebois, Gudbranson

Pouliot, Tanev

Don't think that any of our rhd can comfortably play the left side, so you're probably correct. That left side does not fill me with confidence. Whether Brisebois or Pouliot is on the 2nd pairing, I can see our opposition attacking that side of the ice all game long !

Edited by SingleThorn

2 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Don't think that any of our rhd can comfortably play the left side, so you're probably correct. That left side does not fill me with confidence. Whether Brisebois or Pouliot is on the 2nd pairing, I can see our opposition attacking that side of the ice all game long !

The lefties are all playing over their heads for sure...that's what happens when your best D goes down. No really getting around that I'm afraid.

But those pairings give us the best chance at success IMO under those less than ideal conditions.

Hutton and Stech play well together (though ideally more as a '2nd' pair'). Pouliot can concentrate on his strengths in the offensive end/moving the puck and let Tanev play a safe game in his own end and cover for Derricks 'deficiencies' there (and on his natural side so he doesn't get killed like last night). Brisebois has exactly the solid 2 way ability to compliment Guddy IMO and Guddy can make sure the kid doesn't get physically targeted. They can just concentrate on playing a solid defensive game and Brisebois can move the puck with smart simple plays and good passes.

They aren't likely to set the world on fire but they can hopefully play competent hockey for a week or so until Edler's back.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Just trade tanev this summer. He is useless to the team sitting in the press box most of every season. And it is getting worse. 

Wow...he comes back for a game and then gets broken again. Absolutely useless to the Canucks. Try to get a 3rd rounder for him this summer imo.

tanev.PNG

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

I like Tanev and his bravery, but him constantly out of the lineup hurts the consistency of the backend as pairings get jostled around endlessly instead of building chemistry and consistency.

He has no value at all honestly, but at the same time, its time to move on from him.

• Like 1

You know...…..Defensemen blocking shots, is usually a result of wingers not getting back or collapsing too deep...…..

This can be a result of the coaching scheme as well as the winger not doing their job.

Tanev is just the fool that commits to it!...……….God bless his big heart!

21 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

As a Team, and as a fan.....I know it is frustrating, and I agree,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but does anyone know how Tanev is feeling about now?

Can you even imagine?

A great perspective to think about.

I'm a huge Tanev fan and I love what he does for our team and I'm torn about his constant injuries. He plays a very valuable role, but only for about 50-60 games a year since he's always injured. Is there anything Tanev could do? He's already put in constant work to try to prevent injuries, but it seems like it might just be his playstyle that causes this.

However, if you take away his shot blocking, you remove a massive part of his game. It seems like a lose-lose situation for Tanev--he either cuts down on shot blocking and becomes a much less effective defenseman or keeps going and only plays 50-60 games a year. I don't see how he can get out of his situation. I really feel for the guy, especially as fans are going to be frustrated with him right now even though he's done nothing wrong.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

You know...…..Defensemen blocking shots, is usually a result of wingers not getting back or collapsing too deep...…..

This can be a result of the coaching scheme as well as the winger not doing their job.

Tanev is just the fool that commits to it!...……….God bless his big heart!

I also wonder how much it is down to the goalie styles too. Used to remember Patrick Roy had a preference for defencemen bugging out and giving him a clear line of sight to the puck. Remember seeing the defencemen literally diving in the opposite direction of the puck as the opposition wound up for a slapper, just to give Roy a clear look. Now, Roy is Roy and a hall of famer, but i do wonder, if there are other goalies who prefer that shots are not blocked and he gets a clear line to the puck instead.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

I also wonder how much it is down to the goalie styles too. Used to remember Patrick Roy had a preference for defencemen bugging out and giving him a clear line of sight to the puck. Remember seeing the defencemen literally diving in the opposite direction of the puck as the opposition wound up for a slapper, just to give Roy a clear look. Now, Roy is Roy and a hall of famer, but i do wonder, if there are other goalies who prefer that shots are not blocked and he gets a clear line to the puck instead.

I think it depends on how it's blocked. A lot of players don't block properly and can just end up either screening their goalie or tipping it in their own net. Some defensemen and forwards are particularly skilled at it and know when the should and shouldn't block and know how to do it properly. Tanev is a master of doing it and from what I understand in his most recent interview, Markstrom appreciates it.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm a huge Tanev fan and I love what he does for our team and I'm torn about his constant injuries. He plays a very valuable role, but only for about 50-60 games a year since he's always injured. Is there anything Tanev could do? He's already put in constant work to try to prevent injuries, but it seems like it might just be his playstyle that causes this.

However, if you take away his shot blocking, you remove a massive part of his game. It seems like a lose-lose situation for Tanev--he either cuts down on shot blocking and becomes a much less effective defenseman or keeps going and only plays 50-60 games a year. I don't see how he can get out of his situation. I really feel for the guy, especially as fans are going to be frustrated with him right now even though he's done nothing wrong.

I thought he should have been traded 3 seasons ago. The mounting injuries will effect his longevity.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I thought he should have been traded 3 seasons ago. The mounting injuries will effect his longevity.  

• Upvote 1