The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

On September 19, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Warhippy said:

What is the primary duty of a defenseman?  is it scoring points or preventing them?

Which one does Tanev do better than most defensemen in the league?

Always need a guy like Tanev around, but if the price is right it has to be in the near Hall return to be worth it

Has anyone ever asked that question regarding Ben Hutton?

I'd beg to differ that Tanev is "better than most defenseman in the league" at playing defence. 

A guy guy like him is nice to have, sure, but, as far as being atop the depth chart at RHD and/or half of the #1 pairing, I wish the Canucks had another option. 

With Stecher having a great game with Edler, maybe we can become a little bit flexible on defence throughout the season, especially if injuries start to pile up. I wouldn't mind seeing how Sbisa and Tanev would play together, maybe Tanev can calm Sbisa down and help bring his A-game out.

We'll probably start the season with Stecher on the 6 spot though but he gives us a good chance to fill in injuries, similar to how Hutton replaced Hamhuis last season.

If Tavev were to role model anyone - he should take a good look at Brent Burns work in the World Cup of Hockey. It's commendable and necessary that  Tanev continue to improve his offensive game by working  on your shot mechanics, and its also   important to  develop a "shoot first" mentality - get the puck off quickly more often than passing--- Brent Burns exemplifies this trait..This is something that happens in his head which Tanev  has to figure out how to do. Is it a confidence thing?

Last night Tanev had some power-play opportunities and  still looked like a pass first d-man, He was still slow to get his  shot off. He bobbled the puck more than once in the offensive zone. This is not a condemnation. A subjective evaluation? Perhaps.

My positive spin on this  sloppy offensive effort, is that it shows that, in pre-season at least, he's willing to take  risks and is  working on changing his game. We saw some growing pain last night in Calgary.

Here's  hoping  he will keep taking   chances and  continue to develop and build beyond  his consistent   high quality  defensive play.

1 hour ago, arm8842 said:

If Tavev were to role model anyone - he should take a good look at Brent Burns work in the World Cup of Hockey. It's commendable and necessary that  Tanev continue to improve his offensive game by working  on your shot mechanics, and its also   important to  develop a "shoot first" mentality - get the puck off quickly more often than passing--- Brent Burns exemplifies this trait..This is something that happens in his head which Tanev  has to figure out how to do. Is it a confidence thing?

Last night Tanev had some power-play opportunities and  still looked like a pass first d-man, He was still slow to get his  shot off. He bobbled the puck more than once in the offensive zone. This is not a condemnation. A subjective evaluation? Perhaps.

My positive spin on this  sloppy offensive effort, is that it shows that, in pre-season at least, he's willing to take  risks and is  working on changing his game. We saw some growing pain last night in Calgary.

Here's  hoping  he will keep taking   chances and  continue to develop and build beyond  his consistent   high quality  defensive play.

We need to accept that Tanev is never gonna be offensive, He's great at what he does lets just leave it at that, he's one of the best shut down D in the NHL

1 hour ago, arm8842 said:

You do realize that Brent Burns began his career as a forward right?  Not sure if you're aiming too high with this comparison, as one of them began his career with the focus of putting the puck in the opponent's net, while the other focuses on keeping the puck out of their own.  It should only make sense that that their mentality is different and that it's not strictly confidence, but also one having more experience in taking an aggressive approach to putting up points.  One of them is also 3 inches and 45 lbs. heavier than the other, so it's only realistic that their shot is better. 

In short, asking Chris Tanev to mirror Brent Burns' approach is fine, but hope you're not expecting a massive jump in results.  That's like asking Luca Sbisa to play Tanev's defensive role and expecting top-notch results in his own end when their game styles and skills are different (don't hold your breath, people).  Maybe he could look at Marc-Edouard Vlasic as a career goal as he also plays a safe, big-minute game with an offense primarily built around assists.

Edited by Phil_314

18 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

In short, asking Chris Tanev to mirror Brent Burns' approach is fine, but hope you're not expecting a massive jump in results.  That's like asking Luca Sbisa to play Tanev's defensive role and expecting top-notch results in his own end when their game styles and skills are different (don't hold your breath, people).  Maybe he could look at Marc-Edouard Vlasic as a career goal as he also plays a safe, big-minute game with an offense primarily built around assists.

I actually think Vlasic is about Tanev's career ceiling. A guy who can get 5-10 goals consistently while adding 30-40 assists. Pair that up with his great defense and you have one of the best defensemen in the league if he really nails it down.

On 2016-09-30 at 7:14 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

With Stecher having a great game with Edler, maybe we can become a little bit flexible on defence throughout the season, especially if injuries start to pile up. I wouldn't mind seeing how Sbisa and Tanev would play together, maybe Tanev can calm Sbisa down and help bring his A-game out.

We'll probably start the season with Stecher on the 6 spot though but he gives us a good chance to fill in injuries, similar to how Hutton replaced Hamhuis last season.

Stecher had one preseason game with Edler...ONE. The kid is good but defensively not any where near the caliber of Tanev. If you have him with Edler he will be facing 1st line match ups unless you want Gudbranson-Hutton on the 1st, neither of them are 1st line guys as well.  Putting Tanev down on the 3rd pairing is a waste of talent to babysit Sbisa and is just plain stupid.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ice orca said:

Stecher had one preseason game with Edler...ONE. The kid is good but defensively not any where near the caliber of Tanev. If you have him with Edler he will be facing 1st line match ups unless you want Gudbranson-Hutton on the 1st, neither of them are 1st line guys as well.  Putting Tanev down on the 3rd pairing is a waste of talent to babysit Sbisa and is just plain stupid.

Someone had to say it

2 hours ago, ice orca said:

At what point in Stecher's development, as he continues to show he is a better partner for Edler, does it allow JB to trade Tanev?  Plus, Gudbranson's job is to shut down the other teams' top lines, is it not?  

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

At what point in Stecher's development, as he continues to show he is a better partner for Edler, does it allow JB to trade Tanev?  Plus, Gudbranson's job is to shut down the other teams' top lines, is it not?  

It certainly isn't after 1 preseason game

• Upvote 2

Just now, Gooseberries said:

It certainly isn't after 1 preseason game

That's why I asked at what point.  Is 10 games proof enough he's better with Edler than Tanev?  40 games?  There will come a point where Stecher's play just might make Tanev's value less.  Plus, with market so high right now for guys like Tanev (Hall trade) it might be best to move Tanev sooner rather than later.  The ducks are looking to move Fowler, perhaps.  I don't want Fowler, but his return will be good, but it might have been better BEFORE everyone saw other young guys pass him on their team?  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

That's why I asked at what point.  Is 10 games proof enough he's better with Edler than Tanev?  40 games?  There will come a point where Stecher's play just might make Tanev's value less.  Plus, with market so high right now for guys like Tanev (Hall trade) it might be best to move Tanev sooner rather than later.  The ducks are looking to move Fowler, perhaps.  I don't want Fowler, but his return will be good, but it might have been better BEFORE everyone saw other young guys pass him on their team?  

But the thing is he won't get to see 10 games this year. So it won't be this year.  Stop the what ifs. It was 1 preseason game against half an nhl roster. Edler look like a Norris defensman ffs. 

12 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

But the thing is he won't get to see 10 games this year. So it won't be this year.  Stop the what ifs. It was 1 preseason game against half an nhl roster. Edler look like a Norris defensman ffs. 

I don't disagree with any of what you.  I think Tanev is a really good player.  How about this version?

would JB be more likely to consider trading Tanev with the emergence of Stecher?  We all saw Hutton slowly take over for Hamhuis.  Then, after waiting until the deadline to make a trade, we got nothing for Hamhuis.  I realize Tanev is on o really good contract, with term left.  Maybe that makes him even more valuable.  But will his value likely ever be higher than now?  It's a BIG risk - absolutely.  Would JB look at it though if the offer was a good one?  Sam Reinhart or Leon Drisatl, for example.

Edited by Alflives

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't disagree with any of what you.  I think Tanev is a really good player.  How about this version?

would JB be more likely to consider trading Tanev with the emergence of Stecher?  We all saw Hutton slowly take over for Hamhuis.  Then, after waiting until the deadline to make a trade, we got nothing for Hamhuis.  I realize Tanev is on o really good contract, with term left.  Maybe that makes him even more valuable.  But will his value likely ever be higher than now?  It's a BIG risk - absolutely.  Would JB look at it though if the offer was a good one?  Sam Reinhart or Leon Drisatl, for example.

Why not have stecher AND Tanev? I know. I know. Mind blowing isn't it. 

4 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Why not have stecher AND Tanev? I know. I know. Mind blowing isn't it. 

That's a really good poin too.   I think it's about who, between Stecher and Tanev, makes Edler the Edler we saw with Salo and Erhroff.  

Plus, will asking Tanev to add offence to his game be like trying to fit the square peg into the round hole?  I think Tanev's game will go backwards if he tries to change it to be more offensive.  Then his value drops.  

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Personally, I think if Stecher has any success in the NHL this year, it will be on the bottom pairing. Based on what I've seen in the past, a lot of more inexperienced defensemen can thrive as long as they aren't going up against the top lines. I noticed it with Tanev--he was really strong on the 3rd pairing, but once he became a top 4 guy, I noticed him struggling a bit more, simply due to the higher level of competition. Of course, now he's adjusted and is fully capable, but I'd be surprised if Stecher can perform on the first pairing against other teams' top lines.

12 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Personally, I think if Stecher has any success in the NHL this year, it will be on the bottom pairing. Based on what I've seen in the past, a lot of more inexperienced defensemen can thrive as long as they aren't going up against the top lines. I noticed it with Tanev--he was really strong on the 3rd pairing, but once he became a top 4 guy, I noticed him struggling a bit more, simply due to the higher level of competition. Of course, now he's adjusted and is fully capable, but I'd be surprised if Stecher can perform on the first pairing against other teams' top lines.

We would all be surprised if Stecher can play top pair minutes.  However, what a GREAT surprise it would be!  

• Upvote 1

We need Tanev. our D isn't very good and  he is the best we have. 

Considering Edler and Tanev would be a better 2 pairing than 1 pairing, it wouldn't hurt to have a really strong 3 pairing which we don't really have today. If Stecher steps it up and is a #3 calibre defender our D core looks decent but still not spectacular - certainly not good enough to justify moving Tanev. 

As it stands, our D is mediocre-average defensively and awful offensively. A huge part of why we had the worst goal differential last season. 

Edited by canucklehead44