Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

Recommended Posts

Christopher Tanev 
Vancouver Canucks
CHRISTOPHER TANEV
DEFENCEMAN  - VAN
 
NUMBER: 8
HEIGHT: 6' 2"
WEIGHT: 185
SHOOTS: RIGHT
BORN: 20 DEC 1989  (AGE 26)
BIRTHPLACE: TORONTO, ON, CANADA
 
 
ACQUIRED: ON MAY 31, 2010, TANEV SIGNED AS AN UNDRAFTED FREE AGENT WITH THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, but, I still don't see the guy as a legitimate top-pairing or even top-4 defenceman at all. Wouldn't be heartbroken if he were the centerpiece to acquire Hamonic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fakename70 said:

Sorry, but, I still don't see the guy as a legitimate top-pairing or even top-4 defenceman at all. Wouldn't be heartbroken if he were the centerpiece to acquire Hamonic. 

Hamonic has rescinded his trade request and supposedly it was only to Calgary, Edmonton or Winnipeg.

 

While I agree with you that I don't believe Tanev is a top pairing D, I think he's valuable in the top 4.   It's hard to get excited about a defender that puts up zero offence, physicality, or emotion; but he does stay calm, is in good position and has a good stick.  To me that's not a top pairing guy, but that can be serviceable if paired with the right guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, mpt said:

Hamonic has rescinded his trade request and supposedly it was only to Calgary, Edmonton or Winnipeg.

 

While I agree with you that I don't believe Tanev is a top pairing D, I think he's valuable in the top 4.   It's hard to get excited about a defender that puts up zero offence, physicality, or emotion; but he does stay calm, is in good position and has a good stick.  To me that's not a top pairing guy, but that can be serviceable if paired with the right guy

Hadn't realized that yet about Hamonic. You make good points about Tanev, but, I've got secondary scoring on my brain. JB's gotta get a RH partner for Edler who plays just as you described, but can also put points on the board. Or, at least be so sound and physical in the Canucks zone that Edler can take more chances. 

That bumps Tanev to the 2nd pairing, if not moved altogether since I don't see him as a bottom-4 guy with this team. But upgrades are definitely needed on the right side for the top-4 D. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

Hadn't realized that yet about Hamonic. You make good points about Tanev, but, I've got secondary scoring on my brain. JB's gotta get a RH partner for Edler who plays just as you described, but can also put points on the board. Or, at least be so sound and physical in the Canucks zone that Edler can take more chances. 

That bumps Tanev to the 2nd pairing, if not moved altogether since I don't see him as a bottom-4 guy with this team. But upgrades are definitely needed on the right side for the top-4 D. 

Agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2016 at 11:20 PM, Fakename70 said:

Sorry, but, I still don't see the guy as a legitimate top-pairing or even top-4 defenceman at all. Wouldn't be heartbroken if he were the centerpiece to acquire Hamonic. 

watch a game or two next season and you'll reconsider 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hatedkid666 said:

watch a game or two next season and you'll reconsider 

No, not really. You assume I don't already watch Canuck games when I get the chance, or haven't seen his progression since 2011. I'm just of the mind that an upgrade is needed to someone who isnt as invisible (notice I didn't say a liability) on offence. Particularly among the top-2 pairings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

No, not really. You assume I don't already watch Canuck games when I get the chance, or haven't seen his progression since 2011. I'm just of the mind that an upgrade is needed to someone who isnt as invisible (notice I didn't say a liability) on offence. Particularly among the top-2 pairings. 

 He's not gonna put up a ton of points but he doesn't hurt our chances of scoring when he is out there. Not like he shoots into opponents legs, or fails to hold the line, or makes bad pinches. He moves the puck well, makes good decisions. Just lacks a shot.

Edited by N7Nucks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

 He's not gonna put up a ton of points but he doesn't hurt our chances of scoring when he is out there. Not like he shoots into opponents legs, or fails to hold the line, or makes bad pinches. He moves the puck well, makes good decisions. Just lacks a shot.

You misunderstood. I went out of my way to ensure you didn't think I was saying Tanev is a liability on offence. But, you did anyway. I'll assume that was the original comment you edited. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 29, 2016 at 8:20 PM, Fakename70 said:

Sorry, but, I still don't see the guy as a legitimate top-pairing or even top-4 defenceman at all. Wouldn't be heartbroken if he were the centerpiece to acquire Hamonic. 

Have you seen/heard what his World Hockey Championship teamates think about him?

 

He's still young, hasn't reached his ceiling and has hired a shooting coach - I hope that works as much as Sundins advice to Kesler to work on his wrist shot did.

 

If Juice has love for the Tanman he's gotta be gold!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Have you seen/heard what his World Hockey Championship teamates think about him?

 

He's still young, hasn't reached his ceiling and has hired a shooting coach - I hope that works as much as Sundins advice to Kesler to work on his wrist shot did.

 

If Juice has love for the Tanman he's gotta be gold!

I try not to let Kevin Bieksa's opinion on something influence my own, you know? But, we'll see about Tanev with regards to the shooting coach. It isn't just the lack of offence so much as I just tend to lean more towards someone on the right side more physical than he is. Particularly if paired with Edler. I'd love to see Tanev add some muscle, but, it's obviously not realistic to expect the guy to bulk-up by 30-40lbs. But, someone like Dan Girardi with a smaller cap hit is what I'm getting at. Or, Luke Schenn, whose current contract that expires on Canada Day has a cap hit of just under $1M LESS than Tanev's, for some reason. I rarely get too involved in player salary discussion, but, that, to me, sounds like someone's a bit overpaid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

I try not to let Kevin Bieksa's opinion on something influence my own, you know? But, we'll see about Tanev with regards to the shooting coach. It isn't just the lack of offence so much as I just tend to lean more towards someone on the right side more physical than he is. Particularly if paired with Edler. I'd love to see Tanev add some muscle, but, it's obviously not realistic to expect the guy to bulk-up by 30-40lbs. But, someone like Dan Girardi with a smaller cap hit is what I'm getting at. Or, Luke Schenn, whose current contract that expires on Canada Day has a cap hit of just under $1M LESS than Tanev's, for some reason. I rarely get too involved in player salary discussion, but, that, to me, sounds like someone's a bit overpaid.

Schenns contract does expire shortly and you do make some good points.

 

Tanman is under contract for 5 more years at basically 4.5m/yr. By year 3 this may be one of the best value contracts in the league.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tanev has proven that he can be a great defender. but now he just has to showoff his offensive skills that he's been hiding from all of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On June 3, 2016 at 6:59 PM, bubbaCHUCK said:

Tanev has proven that he can be a great defender. but now he just has to showoff his offensive skills that he's been hiding from all of us.

If the guy added that to his game I'd change my opinion completely. Need to see that from his partner, though, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's still 26 years old and I personally thinks he plays a great defensive game, he was the rock in a defense weakened by injury last year. I don't care much about his offense because the rest of his game is that good.

 

But I would like to see him paired with someone else than Edler at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This reminds me of the Monly Python sketch with the bored pilots who started trolling the passengers with "the left wing is not on fire"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hot off the press, straight out of the back channels of twitter, or some pubescent kids mothers basement...

 

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account @NEWS1130Sports 6h6 hours ago

Just 14 goals in his NHL career, Tanve says he worked on his shot this summer, "My shot is harder and more accurate." #Canucks

Tanev should score a couple goals this season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben Kuzma: Canucks’ Tanev takes aim at generating offence

 

vancouver-canucks-v-nashville-predators.

Look for Chris Tanev to add a more offensive element to his game this coming season, starting with the shot he’s been working on. The Canucks’ steady blue-liner was reassured by GM Jim Benning over the summer that the team wanted to keep him.

 

BEN KUZMA
Published: September 15, 2016
Updated: September 15, 2016 7:31 PM PDT
Filed Under:
The Province Sports Hockey Vancouver Canucks

 

Shot suppression is Chris Tanev. Shot generation is not.

An enviable combination of skating, smarts, timing and fearlessness has allowed the Vancouver Canucks’ defensive defenceman to log big minutes, shut down top lines and draw league-wide acclaim.

It also made him the subject of off-season trade rumours because who wouldn’t want a durable, dutiful and low-maintenance rearguard who plays hard? Who wouldn’t woo GM Jim Benning and offer scoring help to spring the 26-year-old Tanev, who’s a bargain with four more years at a US $4.45-million annual salary cap hit?

“I didn’t really hear about it (rumour), but my brother followed it,” Tanev said Thursday following an informal skate at Rogers Arena. “I got a call from Jim Benning one day to just reassure me that they (Canucks) want me and all that stuff wasn’t true. That was definitely reassuring.”

tanev-5-0-jpeg.jpg?w=300&quality=60&stri

 

Tanev not only led the Canucks with 166 blocked shots last season to rank 16th in the NHL, he fell in front of the hardest shots at that toughest times. The Canucks were clinging to a 2-1 lead against Tampa Bay on Dec. 22, when he dropped in front of a heavy Steven Stamkos slapper. Tanev hobbled off the ice with a deep bruise on his right foot. Ironically, he had discarded a shot-blocker on that skate because he was repeatedly tripping over it. Regardless, Tanev would miss just two games.

 

“That’s what I grew up doing,” shrugged the undrafted Tanev. “I don’t want to give up opportunities where our goalies have to make tough saves. I don’t know too much about all the analytics, but I know when Eagle (Alex Edler) and I are out there, we’re just trying to get pucks out of our zone quickly.”

 

Tanev also excelled in his first world hockey championship experience in May at Moscow. He paired with the Leafs’ Morgan Reilly to log major minutes and it was the go-to tandem to lock down a gold medal for Team Canada. Regarded as the best defenceman in the tourney, Tanev logged 21:38 against Finland in the final, including 8:37 in the third period. He was not on the ice for a single even-strength goal against in the entire event.

“Going into it, I didn’t know how it would go,” admitted Tanev. “I definitely had the time of my life and met a lot of good guys and, most importantly, we won.”

Imagine if Tanev can add an offensive element this season?

tanev-4-jpeg.jpg?w=300&quality=60&strip=

 

The Canucks generated just 23 goals from the back end in 2015-16, fifth lowest in the league, and six of those came from the departed Matt Bartkowski. Tanev scored four times and has never had more than six in any season, and the fact he has trouble getting shots away — and also finding the net — was his summer focus. His 42 shots in 69 games last season were the lowest on the club of anyone who played more than half the season. And it wasn’t just defencemen.

The Canucks ranked 28th with 28.2 shots per game, and that had a lot to do with icing the league’s worst face-off percentage to go with a 29th-ranked offence and 27th-rated power play in missing the playoffs for the second time in the last three seasons.

Tanev believes “getting it” offensively starts with play in his own zone. He says Erik Gudbranson will add a needed defensive presence and that Ben Hutton should be the beneficiary to pick up where he left off in his rookie campaign, placing second in assists (24) among first-year blue-liners.

“We were hung up in our own end and weren’t breaking out with the puck,” said Tanev. “People don’t realize how well Gudbranson moves and how smart he is, and that’s going to help us out tremendously.

“I worked on my shot a lot, but as a whole we need to be up in the play more. We had a lot of shots blocked or didn’t even get them on the net. I’ve been working more on my mechanics. You just don’t want to shoot pucks aimlessly with no goal in mind. When you work on mechanics, you can see when you do it (release) properly and when you don’t. It gives you a good mindset.

“So many guys are blocking shots and you sometimes have to get it through three layers of players. You have to have your head up all the time and find the little open areas and get pucks off quicker than we did last year."

 

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.