Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

A great perspective to think about.

I'm a huge Tanev fan and I love what he does for our team and I'm torn about his constant injuries. He plays a very valuable role, but only for about 50-60 games a year since he's always injured. Is there anything Tanev could do? He's already put in constant work to try to prevent injuries, but it seems like it might just be his playstyle that causes this.

However, if you take away his shot blocking, you remove a massive part of his game. It seems like a lose-lose situation for Tanev--he either cuts down on shot blocking and becomes a much less effective defenseman or keeps going and only plays 50-60 games a year. I don't see how he can get out of his situation. I really feel for the guy, especially as fans are going to be frustrated with him right now even though he's done nothing wrong.

I thought he should have been traded 3 seasons ago. The mounting injuries will effect his longevity.  

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

A great perspective to think about.

I'm a huge Tanev fan and I love what he does for our team and I'm torn about his constant injuries. He plays a very valuable role, but only for about 50-60 games a year since he's always injured. Is there anything Tanev could do? He's already put in constant work to try to prevent injuries, but it seems like it might just be his playstyle that causes this.

However, if you take away his shot blocking, you remove a massive part of his game. It seems like a lose-lose situation for Tanev--he either cuts down on shot blocking and becomes a much less effective defenseman or keeps going and only plays 50-60 games a year. I don't see how he can get out of his situation. I really feel for the guy, especially as fans are going to be frustrated with him right now even though he's done nothing wrong.

I thought he should have been traded 3 seasons ago. The mounting injuries will effect his longevity.  

• Upvote 1

I dunno.....maybe reduce his minutes and give him 2nd or 3rd pairing duties. However, only after we get a top pairing younger d-man to replace him. 

1 hour ago, NexusRift said:

I dunno.....maybe reduce his minutes and give him 2nd or 3rd pairing duties. However, only after we get a top pairing younger d-man to replace him. 

He's averaging +24 seconds over his career average of 19:46 this season, which is already roughly 2nd pair minutes. I think the bigger problem is that those are almost all hard, dzone (70%) and PK minutes.

• Upvote 1

This guy is getting beyond frustrating. I've been a massive Tanev fan for all the things he does right. But it just messes the team up too much not being able to rely on the health of a top 2 defenseman for any length of time. I'm okay with trading him now, just so long as it's not the Leafs... just in case he does manage to stay healthy long enough to bring them any kind of post season success.

• Like 1

Tanev has been a great Canuck and has sacrificed his body for the team, fearlessly. I'm as frustrated as anyone seeing him hurt all the time but as fans we need to not pile on the guy. We spend too much time in our zone. Way too much. I would hope to start the year with Tanev and if by some small miracle he is healthy at the deadline trade him. I love the guy for his steadiness and his pride for being a Canuck. I'm frustrated with Tanev and our other players who cannot stay healthy and its time to move on from them. I really do feel for the guy. Hell of a dman. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tanev's injury woes are at an all time high. Similar to Salo status. He needs special padding I think (armour), seeing as he's always putting himself in harm's way to block a shot. Frankly, I would've preferred they scored the goal than to lose Tanev for the year. Was it worth it? Sheesh, Markstrom probably would've made the save. I know he'll probably never change his game which is why I think they need to move on.  I love his battle and willingness to sacrifice, but they need him on the ice and not on the LTIR. 

• Upvote 1

Tanev should have been move 2 seasons ago when he was worth something,.   It would have saved his career to be a D man on a better team not going through a rebuild.  If you are not an Ironman,  you shouldn’t be in a position of having to play like one or above your capacity.

He plays like a old man, almost anything that hits him now, breaks something or he pulls something and hes out for awile lol, i was waiting for this to happen as he always gets hurt atleast once a season for a long period :P , and he didnt let me down.

We really need to get rid of brown as hes trash, and our PP looks so horrible, no point in keeping him anymore since thats why he was brought in ...and over haul the whole vancouver def, but benning wont do that :( so we stuck with these misfits ( tanev etc ) , when tanev is healthy he a good def , but he rarely healthy for long :( 

The only sure things in life are death, taxes, and Tanev getting injured.

• Hydration 1

Hard to even look at him as a positive asset at this point. Ship him out for whatever we can get and move on to someone who can hold down a spot for 70+ games.

• Upvote 1

Few years ago I argued to the death with people on this forum that Edler was the better D-man of the two. I still hold that ground, but Tanevs value is far too low now to trade him. JB missed the boat on that one, we're better off keeping him at this point.

2 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Few years ago I argued to the death with people on this forum that Edler was the better D-man of the two. I still hold that ground, but Tanevs value is far too low now to trade him. JB missed the boat on that one, we're better off keeping him at this point.

I cant see how we're better off keeping him. Even if we get a conditional 7th we would free up space for a top 4 dman who is healthy enough to play more than 50 games. Although he might not be the same quality of player that tanev is, the top 4 dman for those extra 32 games is huge. Basically be trading biega for a legit nhl defensman.

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

I cant see how we're better off keeping him. Even if we get a conditional 7th we would free up space for a top 4 dman who is healthy enough to play more than 50 games. Although he might not be the same quality of player that tanev is, the top 4 dman for those extra 32 games is huge. Basically be trading biega for a legit nhl defensman.

Tanevs value is a lot higher than a conditional 7th, but in reality you're looking at a B prospect or a 2nd for Tanev at this point. A year or two ago it was a prospect +2nd

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2019 at 2:21 PM, 5Fivehole0 said:

Tanevs value is a lot higher than a conditional 7th, but in reality you're looking at a B prospect or a 2nd for Tanev at this point. A year or two ago it was a prospect +2nd

The value is moot. Im saying we could get nothing for him and come out ahead if we sign a guy like myers and he plays close to 82.

Edited by 73 Percent

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Now just stay healthy long enough to trade you Chris!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2019 at 1:40 PM, aGENT said:

Now just stay healthy long enough to trade you Chris!

Pretty Rude. The guy puts his body on the line for his team,every game. If the puck hit anyone else where it hit Tanev they would have suffered the same results as would  many of his injuries.Hes not there just for a paycheck.I see statementslike these as a complete lack of respect. BROKE HIS LEG blocking a shot.

Edited by Dannydog
didnt finish on comment

9 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Pretty Rude. The guy puts his body on the line for his team,every game. If the puck hit anyone else where it hit Tanev they would have suffered the same results as would  many of his injuries.Hes not there just for a paycheck.I see statementslike these as a complete lack of respect. BROKE HIS LEG blocking a shot.

Nothing against his play (when healthy).

Expiring contract. Bye.

• Haha 1

Averaging 50 games a year over the last 3 years. This guy is way too injury prone get a pick for him.