The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

8 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Rick Dhaliwal: Brian Burke on Vancouver Canucks defensemen Chris Tanev and Alex Edler: “He has been a quality player on bad teams but I think it’s time to move on because of health issues. Same as Edler, both good guys but I don’t think you can rely on these players. I would entertain offers for Tanev.”

Canucks should have moved Tanev 3 seasons ago. WOuld have got a solid return of young prospects that would/could be playing for the Canucks now or next year. Love Tanev but he should be gone.  TO has lots of prospects with the Marlies. Send him to TO for a couple of them. 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Rick Dhaliwal: Brian Burke on Vancouver Canucks defensemen Chris Tanev and Alex Edler: “He has been a quality player on bad teams but I think it’s time to move on because of health issues. Same as Edler, both good guys but I don’t think you can rely on these players. I would entertain offers for Tanev.”

To bad Eddy says hes not interested in waiving. If he wants more than what the canucks brass are willing to  absorb , you'd think he could net good trade value for the team after what hes done on the ice this year. I'm hoping if thats the case (wont sign for what the teams plans are or need to be ) Eddy hands management a list of teams and picks a playoff team to go to next year. Both tanev and Eddy traded should net a nice little return for the future.

1 hour ago, Dannydog said:

To bad Eddy says hes not interested in waiving. If he wants more than what the canucks brass are willing to  absorb , you'd think he could net good trade value for the team after what hes done on the ice this year. I'm hoping if thats the case (wont sign for what the teams plans are or need to be ) Eddy hands management a list of teams and picks a playoff team to go to next year. Both tanev and Eddy traded should net a nice little return for the future.

Edler is a UFA now. There won't be any trade because the Canucks do not own his rights.

Edler will either sign with the Canucks or he will sign with someone else.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Edler is a UFA now. There won't be any trade because the Canucks do not own his rights.

Edler will either sign with the Canucks or he will sign with someone else.

While a trade is unlikely, its still possible to trade him beforehis deal expires. I dont think he is that coveted of a Dman but its entirely possible. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

While a trade is unlikely, its still possible to trade him beforehis deal expires. I dont think he is that coveted of a Dman but its entirely possible. 

Fair enough. But does that ever happen in reality...a UFA traded a couple months before July 1?  

28 minutes ago, suitup said:

I believe Hamhuis and Ehrhoff did.

Ehrhoff did for sure. I looked it up an Hamhuis was as well. Of course, the return is paltry for a pending UFA--Hamhuis only got a 7th rounder in return.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Ehrhoff did for sure. I looked it up an Hamhuis was as well. Of course, the return is paltry for a pending UFA--Hamhuis only got a 7th rounder in return.

Haha I think that’s because everyone knew Hamhuis was going to sign in Vancouver that summer. Correct me if I’m wrong but there were a lot of rumors linking him to us even before they made the trade, but Pittsburgh was like “ah screw it” and went for it anyways. Maybe that’s why the return sucked? 

3 minutes ago, suitup said:

Haha I think that’s because everyone knew Hamhuis was going to sign in Vancouver that summer. Correct me if I’m wrong but there were a lot of rumors linking him to us even before they made the trade, but Pittsburgh was like “ah screw it” and went for it anyways. Maybe that’s why the return sucked? 

It was actually Philly who acquired his rights, but that does sound about right. I think he was looking at several teams and the Canucks were one of his top choices.

We traded away Ehrhoff when it was clear he wasn't resigning with us and we got a 4th round pick in return. If a 44-50 point defenseman gets you a 4th, I can't imagine we'd get much at all for Edler, given that he's a lot older than Ehrhoff was at the time (Ehrhoff was almost 28 when we traded him in contrast Edler at 33 years old now).

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It was actually Philly who acquired his rights, but that does sound about right. I think he was looking at several teams and the Canucks were one of his top choices.

We traded away Ehrhoff when it was clear he wasn't resigning with us and we got a 4th round pick in return. If a 44-50 point defenseman gets you a 4th, I can't imagine we'd get much at all for Edler, given that he's a lot older than Ehrhoff was at the time (Ehrhoff was almost 28 when we traded him in contrast Edler at 33 years old now).

Heh, it was actually Philly and Pittsburgh.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Canucks should have moved Tanev 3 seasons ago. WOuld have got a solid return of young prospects that would/could be playing for the Canucks now or next year. Love Tanev but he should be gone.  TO has lots of prospects with the Marlies. Send him to TO for a couple of them. 

ED tanked D man trade value right when we should have traded him...

19 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Own his rights until June 30.

17 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

He'd be likely 2nd or 3rd most in demand D behind Karlsson and 50/50 on Myers (younger but not as good) this July 1.

Many teams would HAPPILY add him. We're quite lucky he clearly prefers to stay here.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

ED tanked D man trade value right when we should have traded him...

Own his rights until June 30.

He'd be likely 2nd or 3rd most in demand D behind Karlsson and 50/50 on Myers (younger but not as good) this July 1.

Many teams would HAPPILY add him. We're quite lucky he clearly prefers to stay here.

I don't mean to discount his value. He was definitly our best defensman last season. But I find it hard to believe teams would be tripping over themselves to trade an asset (albeit a small one) to obtain edlers expiring rights. 

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I don't mean to discount his value. He was definitly our best defensman last season. But I find it hard to believe teams would be tripping over themselves to trade an asset (albeit a small one) to obtain edlers expiring rights. 

Edm would jump at the chance and probably do a switch for 8th to 10th pick.  Problem is...no way Edler's going to Edm.

Maybe Detroit goes for it.  He would be their top LD.

He'll likely sign in Van, but I think he's holding out for a NTC.

43 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Edm would jump at the chance and probably do a switch for 8th to 10th pick.  Problem is...no way Edler's going to Edm.

Maybe Detroit goes for it.  He would be their top LD.

He'll likely sign in Van, but I think he's holding out for a NTC.

For Hitch Edmonton needs Ds who are not afraid to skate the puck out using the middle of the ice instead of chipping it in.  It's a Hughes type of D that they need.   Btw Canucks were 2nd in dump-in rates by mid-February according to Mike Kelly of NHL Network (they use a video tracking software to compile those numbers). 

Edited by mll

55 minutes ago, mll said:

For Hitch Edmonton needs Ds who are not afraid to skate the puck out using the middle of the ice instead of chipping it in.  It's a Hughes type of D that they need.   Btw Canucks were 2nd in dump-in rates by mid-February according to Mike Kelly of NHL Network (they use a video tracking software to compile those numbers). 

Like I’ve been saying. They should be going hard after Tyson Barrie. He would fit that system perfectly. 

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Like I’ve been saying. They should be going hard after Tyson Barrie. He would fit that system perfectly. 

Yes they sure should.  The best thing is that they have 15 players signed and only 8.4m salary left.  Oh dear.

38 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yes they sure should.  The best thing is that they have 15 players signed and only 8.4m salary left.  Oh dear.

And they have 20+ locked up in basically dead value. 

Lucic -6

Sekera -5.5

manning 2.25

pouliot - 1.333

gryba - 300k

russel - 4.0

gagner - 3.15

that’s 1/4 of there roster that brings little value. When another 1/4 of there roster is tied up in two players it’s no wonder they are struggling to build a competitive team.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...