The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

3 hours ago, zombieksa said:

And replaced by Tyson Barrie next season.

I don't know where they find the salary cap for a ufa like Barrie.  If they do find the space, I'd rather a bigger player with offensive upside; like Josi or Faulk.   Josi will want +++ $ and term, but Faulk would be considerably less.  I like Faulk because he brings a degree of toughness, but can still provide some offence alongside Hughes.

Consider this...

Josi   Quinn   or  Quinn   Faulk

Edler   Meyers

Joulevi   Benn/Woo

Benn   Stecher

• 1 month later...

Per Elliotte Friedman's 31 Thoughts:

16. When Chris Tanev hits the ice in Vancouver, word is it will be with custom-made shin pads and gloves, created by the team’s trainers. He’s missed too much time because he plays hard and refuses to bail out on the ice. In 2019–20, it will be with greater protection.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-tense-rfa-waiting-game-hits-final-stages/

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Interesting... Maybe the lack of protection was Chris's problem? But aren't hockey players basically light armoured knights with a jersey to cover it? (Sincere question, btw)

Edited by BrazilianCanuck
Grammar (yeah, I care about that haha)
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BrazilianCanuck said:

Interesting... Maybe the lack of protection was Chris's problem? But don't hockey players are basically light armoured knight with a jersey to cover it? (Sincere question, btw)

"16. When Chris Tanev hits the ice in Vancouver, word is it will be with custom-made shin pads and gloves, created by the team’s trainers. He’s missed too much time because he plays hard and refuses to bail out on the ice. In 2019–20, it will be with greater protection."

Didn't he have this done last year too? I remember hearing a story on the radio he had custom shin pads made for him. Does anyone else remember that?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

"16. When Chris Tanev hits the ice in Vancouver, word is it will be with custom-made shin pads and gloves, created by the team’s trainers. He’s missed too much time because he plays hard and refuses to bail out on the ice. In 2019–20, it will be with greater protection."

Didn't he have this done last year too? I remember hearing a story on the radio he had custom shin pads made for him. Does anyone else remember that?

I do recall it, though I'm not sure if it was shin pads or some other sort of protection.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I am not optimistic Tanev will exceed 60 games . But it might be Joulevi’s big break.

60 games would be a remarkable achievement for Tanev at this point. Last year's 55 games was the most of the last three years.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/quinn-hughes-thinks-canucks-fans-have-yet-to-see-how-good-chris-tanev-can-truly-be-1.23958870?fbclid=IwAR0EhTsKQWUGajxBRhtWC-DVlSq6mTmCruK23FKYyWUEPXP3gZ7OV8e9kgY

Hughes with a raving review of his current defense partner, Tanev (the link has the full article).

Hughes is a quiet guy, but when asked about being partnered with Tanev, he couldn’t stop gushing. The two defencemen have been partnered together for a couple preseason games and it seems very likely they’ll start the season together. Hughes approves. 

“[Tanev] makes it really easy for me, he's a really good player,” said Hughes. “I didn't realize how good of a skater he was. No, seriously...I don't think I've really ever played with a guy that's that good of a skater. He can beat guys with his feet and he's smart and he's skilled.

“This was only our second game together and I'm sure by game 35 we'll be really, really, really good and hard to deal with.”

They purposely highlighted the A's in all of their names.

- Tanev is first on the list of leaders.

- Tanev is the only player with a C in their name. (Could be a coincidence)

- Tanev could be the perfect age at 29. (Last few captains have been named around this age)

- Tanev was mentored by the sedins since his rookie year in 2011. 

- Tanev bridges the old generation and it's memory to the kids and our next generation.

Reason why not Tanev.

Injured a lot. 

Maybe an extension follows if true? It's likely Bo tho. Lol

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

- Tanev could be the perfect age at 29. (Last few captains have been named around this age)

- Tanev bridges the old generation and it's memory to the kids and our next generation.

Reason why not Tanev.

Injured a lot. 

Of all four guys, I think Tanev is probably the least likely to be captain. He's experienced and knows the game really well and even talks and directs other younger defensemen, but he's not exactly oozing charisma.

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Of all four guys, I think Tanev is probably the least likely to be captain. He's experienced and knows the game really well and even talks and directs other younger defensemen, but he's not exactly oozing charisma.

That and he is probably gone at the TDL if the Canucks are not in the playoffs. If they make it, he is gone next summer most likely.

Zero chance he is captain lmao.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Reason why not Tanev.

Injured a lot. 

The A's are the alt capts till the season opener, no?

I think Tanev is the best defencemen to be paired up with Hughes this season. I know a lot of people don't like the paring because of Tanev lacking that offensive skill..

Hughes obviously is a beast offensively, although his game defensively needs a lot of work. Tanev is the our best defensive dman, perfect mentor for a guy like Hughes in his rookie year.

• Like 1

If Tanev, Edler and Myers play a full 82 games this season we're a lock for the playoffs. It's doubtful given our history but Tanev especially is such a rock for this team and he's already developing chemistry with Hughes. Beautiful tap in by him, they did have some defensive gaffs at times and will get eaten alive by big strong forwards which is why hopefully Green will have Edler and Myers out defending the bigger lines, but they played a very solid two-way game against the Kings. Tanev's game is still going to have to evolve playing with Hughes now.

2 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Tanev was recently quoted saying “he owes his first goal of the season too his resent wearing of VTC gloves”

everyones talking about how cool they are 

Are you some kinda schill for the company that makes them or something?

They are just gloves lmao.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 3