The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

Hey everyone! 
Great news! Tanev didn’t get injured; Hertl did.

Its nice to see he is resistant this year. In fact, he is 20 games from a career high in games played in a season.

Lets root for Tanev and good all round health for this team for the remainder of the season and the upcoming playoffs.

Tanev hockey is better than non-Tanev hockey.

24 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

I don’t know if this has gone under the radar for you guys but tanev has developed his game to mesh Super well with Hughes, he been working the ozone blue line with Hughes sometimes and he doesn’t look out of place one bit. Tanev has been amazing for us this year

On pace to smash his career bests. His best points-per-game in his career is 0.29 and he's at 0.36 so far. His career high in points in 20 points in 70 games, which pro-rates to 23 points. His current pace of 19 points in 53 games pro-rates to 29 points. Can you imagine if Chris Tanev, the defensive mastermind, scored 30 points?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

They truly are a great pairing. Tanev's offensive game has been great but the best part for me is that his defensive game hasn't suffered at all. As strong as ever.Quinn has rejuvenated Tanny .Quinn gets the reassurance with Tanev to go for it and all will be ok.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I am not going to lie - I was worried about Tanev. He just couldn't remain healthy and last year even his defensive game was a noticable step back from prior years. 

But this year, he has looked fantastic. Not just good (as we expect), but he is having a defensive year to match any other, while adding career-best scoring as well. Of course Hughes has everything to do with all this, but it is awesome to see. Hard to imagine he isn't going to insist on a reasonable raise - and he probably deserves it.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

I am not going to lie - I was worried about Tanev. He just couldn't remain healthy and last year even his defensive game was a noticable step back from prior years. 

But this year, he has looked fantastic. Not just good (as we expect), but he is having a defensive year to match any other, while adding career-best scoring as well. Of course Hughes has everything to do with all this, but it is awesome to see. Hard to imagine he isn't going to insist on a reasonable raise - and he probably deserves it.

Let’s hope the idea of playing with Hughes for longer shaves some dollar signs off that extension because I love tanev as a canuck

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Let’s hope the idea of playing with Hughes for longer shaves some dollar signs off that extension because I love tanev as a canuck

I agree, though it could be argued that many (most?) teams have a scoring dman who he could pair with potentially just as well. It seems to me that we have seen his potential this season because we finally have a true offensive threat on the blueline after so many years of missing such a player. I think Tanev is a smart enough guy that he could have a similar effect elsewhere.

With that said, I see no evidence to suggest he would rather play elsewhere and that adds to my confidence Benning will be able to find a way.

8 hours ago, kloubek said:

Tanev is having a great year. He will want a raise and term. Unfortunately I cannot see how the Canucks can commit to either. CAP is a real issue. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Tanev is key to us making the playoffs, so JB is not trading him.  We will extend Tanev for another 4 years after this season is over.  

That doesn't sound good at all to me, we need to move on from Tanev and there's no better time then now. 

I can see this line of thought from Benning, but it doesn't make sense logically so let's hope not

• Cheers 1

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Gotta love when a guy plays 50 games a year then all of a sudden 82 (knock on wood) when he's up for a new contract.

Absolutely no way he finishes the season, let alone plays a playoff game. It won't get better the next few seasons for him either

• Cheers 1

Tanev is a very solid defenseman.

Those who propose we should trade him......who do you suggest would replace him?

Stecher.....haha...nope. Not good enough. 

Tryamkin....not as good defensively.

Then who?

I hope JB resigns Tanev.

He and Hughes have been great together.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

24 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Those who propose we should trade him......who do you suggest would replace him?

Then who?

I hope JB resigns Tanev.

Tanev is a complimentary D man, paired with Hughes he looks great because Hughes is Hughes.

Tanev has played only 50% of the games he could have played in his career,. And still his game has never been like Hughes game.

Hughes with Fantenberg would probably look equally as good,  Luke Schenn looked great with Quinn in only 10 games.

On the other hand ,

Tanev with Fantenberg would fall to pieces as a combo.

Hughes is carrying Tanev right now, and quite possibly his fragility..  move Tanev while we can.  There are others that will rise to the situation, and others to get there deserved shot.. OJ Rafferty Tryamkin Breisbois.

i like this quote from @janisahockeynut :

The evolution of this team, cries out for some bigger players. It was nice to see Jake fight Zucker, but he looked like he was punching through a paper bag. Meaning it was a little weak for his weight class. McEwen looked better. Tryamkin, will not have to fight often, and will still punish with his hits.

The way I see it, Tryamkin will be able to play a solid defensive game, and more physical game, just through his size. He has matured and has realized even in the KHL, that this is life as a hockey player.

I know this is out there, but I actually think Tryamkin is an upgrade on Tanev, and that is no slight to Tanev. Tryamkin has size, reach, age, and shot over Tanev, and their defensive attributes are very similar, as well as their skating. I remind everyone of Tryamkin's last 3 months in Vancouver, where he, as a rookie, patrolled the RHD and controlled it. He at that time, played on a much weaker team. He was -7 on that team in 66 games, as a rookie. I see that improving this time around.

Tryamkin, will be an important part of our future, going far beyond the next 2 or 3 years. I hope McEwen gets more time up here and can fit in. Add another size oriented player, that can skate and score, and all of a sudden, I think we start showing we can handle the Wilson's of this league.

Failure to add this component, will make us good, but not great,

So, when I look at our future pieces...Tryamkin, McEwen, Lind, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rathbone, Juolevi, Rafferty and Madden, I see some truculence and it will depend how Hoglander, Lind, and Podkolzin turn out, not only as skilled players, but as physical dominant players. I do not see the last 3 as having that quality. Not that they all have to have it.

I know, this is a little off the rails, but the truth is we need some size and aggression along with that skill...…..I believe Tryamkin fits that in spades

54 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Then who?

I hope JB resigns Tanev.

Fantastic

There is no doubt that Tanev is a decent defenseman, his defensive game is above average, but that is where it ends.

Tanev is a complimentary player to Hughes, and has benefited immensely this year from playing along side Hughes

I think it would be hard to argue otherwise, in regards to Tanev and Hughes symbiotic relationship.

But that does not say, there are not equal relationship that might benefit Hughes, now and in the future.

In a perfect world, it would be nice to have a right defense of Tanev, Myers, and Tryamkin, all which bring something different to the team

But I am not sure, long term, exactly what the answer is. With Myers signed for 4 more years at 6 Million, and Tanev's contract coming up (6 Million)

It leaves very little for our top 3 RHD prospects (Tryamkin/Rafferty/Woo) to fight over, in money and in placings.

Then, if 1 of the 3, actually develop past Myers or Tanev, during that time, we are paying a 3rd pairing Dman, 6 million dollars......

IMO, when Benning signed Myers, it put Tanev much closer to being traded, unless you are in total agreement to let Tanev walk for free at the end of the year

I do not particularly like arguing that Tanev should be traded, and I certainly do not like it with Tryamkin unsigned. So I sure hope Benning has a plan,

which I am sure he does...………...

But as I look at this team, long term, with all the youth coming, and Myers locked in, I am not sure Tanev is the answer long term, as I think we need to be able to generate

some offense from the right side, and see Tanev as a road block looking forward.....as he ages and declines

IMO, Tanev's health, and the realization that he has such a injury history, makes me shutter, as his injuries, most often come when he is working the hardest

(He is selfless). IMO, he doesn't last a round, during the playoffs..as he will be targeted, as a player to hit. (I know I would, knowing his history)

So, yes, he may help get us there, but how long would he be around?

There are 2 teams right now that desperately need to fill a hole on Defence.

Carolina - D Hamilton 

St Louis - J Bouwmeester 

make a trade now with Tanev for futures / or prospects , lose 4m on the cap.

add to that the extra cap space that remains from our IR . . (beleived to be 6 m alone with BB, MF, & JL out)

10m has to get us a good D man from some other team.

plus with the probable addition of Tryamkin, and the hopeful arrival of B Rafferty, who is 24 yrs 6’2” playing college hockey.

id say we’re set for the 3rd round or more.