The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

There are 2 teams right now that desperately need to fill a hole on Defence.

Carolina - D Hamilton 

St Louis - J Bouwmeester 

make a trade now with Tanev for futures / or prospects , lose 4m on the cap.

add to that the extra cap space that remains from our IR . . (beleived to be 6 m alone with BB, MF, & JL out)

10m has to get us a good D man from some other team.

plus with the probable addition of Tryamkin, and the hopeful arrival of B Rafferty, who is 24 yrs 6’2” playing college hockey.

id say we’re set for the 3rd round or more.

Cross both off your list.  Blues just got Scandella.  Canes are looking for an offensive D.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Cross both off your list.  Blues just got Scandella.  Canes are looking for an offensive D.  

On top of your meds there Cassius Clay !

... k smarty pants , find somewhere else for him to go. :emot-parrot:

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

On top of your meds there Cassius Clay !

... k smarty pants , find somewhere else for him to go. :emot-parrot:

Why does he have to go? Because of what he might be worth to resign? Sounds a whole lot like  when eddy was needing to be resigned,chicken little's making assumptions about figures and term they know nothing about. Banking on players to fill a role on a team that they have no concrete evidence they can. Very glad those people are just keyboard jockeys with no ties to anything related to canucks management.

7 hours ago, Dannydog said:

Why does he have to go? Because of what he might be worth to resign? Sounds a whole lot like  when eddy was needing to be resigned,chicken little's making assumptions about figures and term they know nothing about. Banking on players to fill a role on a team that they have no concrete evidence they can. Very glad those people are just keyboard jockeys with no ties to anything related to canucks management.

He is brittle.  
Only played 50% of games he could have played in his career.

He is non physical.

He is older and not getting better.

We have players coming up that can and will replace him.

He is a UFA this season.

Get something for him before he gets destroyed again, leaving us huge gaps like he has.

Edited by SilentSam
Spell check f up
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

plus with the probable addition of Tryamkin, and the hopeful arrival of B Rafferty, who is 24 yrs 6’2” playing college hockey.

Rafferty’s in Utica, or did I misinterpret something you were saying? 

• Thanks 1

Disagree, bring Rafferty up while Tanev is here. Tanev signs a 2 year deal... With his play this year, and whats to follow while playing with Quinn (and helping quin succeed)give Rafferty or maybe IF Tryamkin comes back(maybe) more time up, then evaluate what they have then. Trade Stetcher,Benn for openings and see what we have while tanev is still here. If these guys can replace tanev trade him.Will get more for him signed for another year then now. How much time has Tanev missed this year? Must be nice to pair up with  skill for once in his career..Doesn't have to sacrifice his body near as much. Tanev , this year is what the nucks need to make the first round possible.I really don't understand the thought  of giving up a sure bet on a maybe .

6 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Disagree, bring Rafferty up while Tanev is here. Tanev signs a 2 year deal... With his play this year, and whats to follow while playing with Quinn (and helping quin succeed)give Rafferty or maybe IF Tryamkin comes back(maybe) more time up, then evaluate what they have then. Trade Stetcher,Benn for openings and see what we have while tanev is still here. If these guys can replace tanev trade him.Will get more for him signed for another year then now. How much time has Tanev missed this year? Must be nice to pair up with  skill for once in his career..Doesn't have to sacrifice his body near as much. Tanev , this year is what the nucks need to make the first round possible.I really don't understand the thought  of giving up a sure bet on a maybe .

Stecher and Benn have zero trade value.  The guys we want to trade have less than zero value.  It will cost us picks and prospects to dump our bad contracts.  Sutter, Loui, Baer, Beagle, Rooster.  We need to clear cap space so we can resign guys who actually help us win, but we can’t because of these crappy contracts.  We shouldn’t have to choose between resigning Marky and Tanev.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Stecher and Benn have zero trade value.  The guys we want to trade have less than zero value.  It will cost us picks and prospects to dump our bad contracts.  Sutter, Loui, Baer, Beagle, Rooster.  We need to clear cap space so we can resign guys who actually help us win, but we can’t because of these crappy contracts.  We shouldn’t have to choose between resigning Marky and Tanev.  

Stetcher and benn are worthless? Alf give me your educated guess on what Marky and Tanev are worth.We all know loui is an anchor,Sutter as servicable as he is doesn't get you much, beagle has been terrible this year but plays a safe defensive game that rarely costs us,Rooster has not seemed like himself in the last month or so and Baer is damaged goods now that his concussion issues have sidelined him from playing on his own team. None of these guys are worth picks? No team in the NHL is needing a replacement player to slide in to help with injuries?(baer eliminated from your selections) Just the Nucks i guess ,signing Toffolli.

13 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Stetcher and benn are worthless? Alf give me your educated guess on what Marky and Tanev are worth.We all know loui is an anchor,Sutter as servicable as he is doesn't get you much, beagle has been terrible this year but plays a safe defensive game that rarely costs us,Rooster has not seemed like himself in the last month or so and Baer is damaged goods now that his concussion issues have sidelined him from playing on his own team. None of these guys are worth picks? No team in the NHL is needing a replacement player to slide in to help with injuries?(baer eliminated from your selections) Just the Nucks i guess ,signing Toffolli.

In trade value Stecher and Benn have no value.  

Marky has value, but he’s a coming UFA, so it’s actually not much.

Tanev is worth a lot; at least a first and more.

The guys like LE, ?Sutter, ?Baer, Beagle, ?Rooster have negative value.  

Im not saying these players are worthless to us right now.  I’m saying they have no trade value, or even less than none.  

Edited by Alflives

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

In trade value Stecher and Benn have no value.  

Marky has value, but he’s a coming UFA, so it’s actually not much.

Tanev is worth a lot; at least a first and more.

The guys like LE, ?Sutter, ?Baer, Beagle, ?Rooster have negative value.  

Im not saying these players are worthless to us right now.  I’m saying they have no trade value, or even less than none.  

LE and Baer I agree have - value, but the rest we could probably get a decent sized bag of pucks, a red paper clip or a gently used hospital mask for, or something useful with salary retention of an equal contract in return

not a lot of value  ther for sure

6 hours ago, SilentSam said:

He is brittle.  
Only played 50% of games he could have played in his career.

He is non physical.

He is older and not getting better.

We have players coming up that can and will replace him.

He is a UFA next season.

Get something for him before he gets destroyed again, leaving us huge gaps like he has.

Isn't he a UFA at the end of this season?? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tystick said:

A part of me is hoping Benning trades for a solid RD.

Then trades Tanev at the deadline for maximum value.

Hate to say it, but Tanev is on the verge of declining.

I think it's a good opportunity to get a pick and a prospect.

I think the more likely scenario is that Tanev walks for free, and then signs his last big deal with another team. We can't afford him, and i'm not sure trading him at the trade deadline would do the team any good, moral wise. They're wanting to make a run, and trading one of your best defensive defenseman doesn't speak well to the team and its players. Tanev is staying. Getting a solid RD is going to be hard. Those players are the ones you draft, and cost too much to acquire. We're almost all done with giving away picks to acquire players. Any more picks going out, and we'd might as well not show up for the 2020 draft. LOL. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think the more likely scenario is that Tanev walks for free, and then signs his last big deal with another team. We can't afford him, and i'm not sure trading him at the trade deadline would do the team any good, moral wise. They're wanting to make a run, and trading one of your best defensive defenseman doesn't speak well to the team and its players. Tanev is staying. Getting a solid RD is going to be hard. Those players are the ones you draft, and cost too much to acquire. We're almost all done with giving away picks to acquire players. Any more picks going out, and we'd might as well not show up for the 2020 draft. LOL. 

Dunno. JB and co are pretty good at finding good prospects anywhere in the draft. We need people now and moving forward though. I think Benning wants a large window of opportunity/success.

If we manage to somehow keep Toffoli/Tanev/Markstrom we'd be set up for the next 4 years with prospects blossoming and being added. It would help our core take that next step for sure. A 4 year window of success and time for guys like Pod/Hog/Juo/Lind/Rath or whoever we draft in the meantime to develop into NHLers and/or established NHLers(with some experience). That in turn would extend the window of success and perhaps make it greater of one.

Forward-wise we're pretty locked. We got a lot of good pieces making up the core already and good ones on the shelf too. Defense-wise we got one guy and a few good pieces on the shelf. May be an area of concern on D but if we lock up Tanev for a bit it would by us time we kind of need to figure that out.

I feel as if that's the plan in place. If all works out then we could be more successful then the Sharks were making the playoffs all those years.

Really have to make some cap room moving forward. Sutter/Baer. If Eriksson retired it would solve a lot of issues but that's wishful thinking. Fortune needs to be on our side a bit moving forward with the cap.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Dunno. JB and co are pretty good at finding good prospects anywhere in the draft. We need people now and moving forward though. I think Benning wants a large window of opportunity/success.

If we manage to somehow keep Toffoli/Tanev/Markstrom we'd be set up for the next 4 years with prospects blossoming and being added. It would help our core take that next step for sure. A 4 year window of success and time for guys like Pod/Hog/Juo/Lind/Rath or whoever we draft in the meantime to develop into NHLers and/or established NHLers(with some experience). That in turn would extend the window of success and perhaps make it greater of one.

Forward-wise we're pretty locked. We got a lot of good pieces making up the core already and good ones on the shelf too. Defense-wise we got one guy and a few good pieces on the shelf. May be an area of concern on D but if we lock up Tanev for a bit it would by us time we kind of need to figure that out.

I feel as if that's the plan in place. If all works out then we could be more successful then the Sharks were making the playoffs all those years.

Really have to make some cap room moving forward. Sutter/Baer. If Eriksson retired it would solve a lot of issues but that's wishful thinking. Fortune needs to be on our side a bit moving forward with the cap.

The fact that Benning was willing to let Madden go shows a great confidence in the prospect pool. I could see Tanev giving up a bit of salary in exchange for term. Not sure how JB will view that but I also think JB is pretty loyal to players who have performed. I can see Tanev as effective in playoffs but as a 4 or 5D. Sorry to say I cannot think Stecher would be. Can JB get Tanev on a 3 year term? He might.  

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Hoping that Ericsson retires this offseason, after his bonus. Is he eligible to be bought out? 

Does Sutter and Bartschi have one more years on their contracts? I feel like Baer's career might be done. If nobody is taking you when you're on waivers for free.....

Sutter I think could be dealt in the off-season for a 3rd or something, maybe a second, if Benning could work some magic. 

Get the sense that the Canucks are done trading. If anything, might be more depth moves in the next few days, but as for major moves, I think they're done.