The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Hoping that Ericsson retires this offseason, after his bonus. Is he eligible to be bought out? 

Does Sutter and Bartschi have one more years on their contracts? I feel like Baer's career might be done. If nobody is taking you when you're on waivers for free.....

Sutter I think could be dealt in the off-season for a 3rd or something, maybe a second, if Benning could work some magic. 

Get the sense that the Canucks are done trading. If anything, might be more depth moves in the next few days, but as for major moves, I think they're done. 

LE, Sutter, and Baer all have term left.  They will each cost a lot in sweetener to dump.  We are going to have serious trouble getting cap room to sign Marky, Tanev, and our RFAs.  JB said young ELC guys are coming soon.  I’d say as soon as next season.  We have to. 

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

LE, Sutter, and Baer all have term left.  They will each cost a lot in sweetener to dump.  We are going to have serious trouble getting cap room to sign Marky, Tanev, and our RFAs.  JB said young ELC guys are coming soon.  I’d say as soon as next season.  We have to. 

how much term, do you know, Alf? 

LE and Baer I am sure will need sweetners to dump. 

Sutter is a serviceable player. I think he can fetch something on his own without a sweetner. 

Edited by N4ZZY

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

how much term, do you know, Alf? 

LE and Baer I am sure will need sweetners to dump. 

Sutter is a serviceable player. I think he can fetch something on his own without a sweetner. 

Sutter and Baer have one more year left after this one; Loui has two.  Sutter has no value now, but will (with salary retention) at the 2021 TDL.  LE and Baer will never have any trade value.  IMO. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sutter and Baer have one more year left after this one; Loui has two.  Sutter has no value now, but will (with salary retention) at the 2021 TDL.  LE and Baer will never have any trade value.  IMO. 

why do you feel like Sutter has no value now? 

i agree with Baer and LE having no trade value, so we'd definitely have to add for a team to take them off our hands. 

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

why do you feel like Sutter has no value now? 

i agree with Baer and LE having no trade value, so we'd definitely have to add for a team to take them off our hands. 

Sutter has value to us as s player on our team, but he has negative trade value because he has one more year on his contract.  He gets paid too much for what he provides.  No team will want him because of that extra year.  TDL of 2021 and he has value, but we will have to retain some salary.  

2 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Yes, opposing teams are trying to hurt Hughes rather than Tanev.

I noticed twice in the Boston game bruins tried to hit Hughes and he made small moves to just get brushed by those boston d bags....

...very good NHL players used to say how hard it was to actually hit gretzky with a good hit.  Hopefully Hughes is that elusive and can avoid most contact. But I agree with you, maybe the other teams are keying on Tanev and he is taking less hits.

Or more likely, the puck is getting to Hughes and he simply skates it out or passes it out and no Canuck gets hit at all.

It is awesome to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunate injury but he's done well this season, most say it's a 1-3 week injury so let's hope he's back for at least the last couple of regular season games. Missing our best goalie and arguably best defensive defenceman is going to be tricky, especially when Green isn't adjusting his run-and-gun style.

• 1 month later...
On February 18, 2020 at 11:10 PM, N4ZZY said:

I think the more likely scenario is that Tanev walks for free, and then signs his last big deal with another team. We can't afford him, and i'm not sure trading him at the trade deadline would do the team any good, moral wise. They're wanting to make a run, and trading one of your best defensive defenseman doesn't speak well to the team and its players. Tanev is staying. Getting a solid RD is going to be hard. Those players are the ones you draft, and cost too much to acquire. We're almost all done with giving away picks to acquire players. Any more picks going out, and we'd might as well not show up for the 2020 draft. LOL. 

I don;t think any team will sign Tanev to a big contract with his injury history...I predict  4 yrs x 4.5 million is top end for Tanev...

If your counting on a healthy Tanev 30 and playing talented 34 year old Edler for 23-25 mins per game it could lead Vancouver into troubles with injuries..

Need another younger guy to take mins away from Edler and Tanev besides  Hughes...

Hughes is the offensive machine 22-25 mins will be fine..

Not excited about signing Tanev 30, to a 4 yr x 4.5 million Dollar deal.... Scary

Not easy to draft top D men? We got lucky with Hughes he should of been gone in top 5 in his draft year...

Only D man drafted in last 6 years playing regular is Quinn Hughes?
So waiting for draft might not work?  Replacing Edler 34, in next 2 years is just common knowledge never mind injury prone Tanev?????????

Edited by wildcam

Yeah, as much as I love Tanev, he has cost the Canucks too many seasons of injury. He plays great when he plays, but when you bank on him, it leads to disappointment when he goes down, with a giant hole to fill on the top or second pairing. 

Unless he's willing to take a significant home-team discount, I think we may be better off letting him sign elsewhere.

We have enough up-and-coming defensemen that I feel confident we could replace him by committee at this point. Tryamkin is a stay-at-home defender who could likely gobble up a good number of Tanev's minutes. 

While Tanev is an elite defender, he has been a big reason why the Vancouver Canucks  been synonymous with Injured Reserve the past few years. 

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, Slegr said:

Yeah, as much as I love Tanev, he has cost the Canucks too many seasons of injury. He plays great when he plays, but when you bank on him, it leads to disappointment when he goes down, with a giant hole to fill on the top or second pairing. 

Unless he's willing to take a significant home-team discount, I think we may be better off letting him sign elsewhere.

We have enough up-and-coming defensemen that I feel confident we could replace him by committee at this point. Tryamkin is a stay-at-home defender who could likely gobble up a good number of Tanev's minutes. 

While Tanev is an elite defender, he has been a big reason why the Vancouver Canucks  been synonymous with Injured Reserve the past few years. 

Thats a huge stretch to say he has cost the Canucks several seasons.

If losing one d-man costs you an entire season’s worth or work. You have to ask yourself how an entire season was lost with one absence.

Pittsburgh lost Crosby, Malkin and Guentzel all at separate times of the season and for very long periods of time. Scoring didnt just come to a complete halt.

St. Louis hasnt had their top winger Tarasenko all season. They didnt fall a part.

Good teams win without key players.

Poor teams fall a part.

The past 5 seasons the team has relied far too heavily on one line up front and 3 guys on the back end. The Sedin line, then the Horvat line. On the backend we relied upon Edler, Tanev and then who ever was between the pipes. 
You lose a Sedin, you lost a line. You lose a Horvat you lose possession, you lose Tanev more shots get through, you lose Edler you lose a puck battle, you lose R. Miller or Marky, you lost a game.

One loss was too glaring of a hole to fill.

We now have two good lines upfront, a competitive 3rd line and a decent 4th line. Our top 4 d are legit, Marky is playing at a Vezina level, which he was projected to be when he was drafted.

Prior seasons we had subpar rosters and poor performance.

Marky and Nilsson couldnt stop a beachball a few years ago. Marky has done a 1080 yes a 1080 not a 180 and become an elite level goaltender that gives us a chance to win regardless of who’s not in the lineup.  We have been missing 2 top 6 players, Ferland and Boeser for a large chunk of the season.

And like I’ve said a handful of times now, relying on two dmen all season, playing all situations i.e PK, protecting leads or dzone draws puts them at higher risk for injury due to wear and tear, shot blocking and fatigue. Injecting players like Meyers, Benn, Fantenberg allows you to distribute some of the 82 game season punishment and reduce the chance of injury. THIS is why Tanev has remained healthy virtually all season. 

To me Tanev is a priority to re-sign. He keeps our backend stabilized and provides a ton of experience and is elite at shot suppression. Highly valuable at even strength and especially on the PK. 

I’d rather have a guy who gives us the edge at stopping a goal on the PK, than needing a guy who helps on the PP. 

You need more help than you can get on the PK. On the PP you have the edge and should be able to score. 
Canucks #1 PP lost to Bostons #1 PK. Mind you there was a lot more to it than just that as to how we lost the series. But in the finals it happened to be the top of the special teams going head to head. Which we had far more power plays and couldnt get the job done.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

To me Tanev is a priority to re-sign. He keeps our backend stabilized and provides a ton of experience and is elite at shot suppression. Highly valuable at even strength and especially on the PK. 

I'd love to see Tanev re-signed, if the price is right. There's no question he gives it 100% and plays amazing defense. But the last 7 seasons he has played an average of 55 games / season. This season, he got injured in the last game, meaning he was going to be once again unavailable at a key time down the stretch. Not since Sami Salo have I seen a player get consistently injured in inconsistent ways. It's a shame, but it's a reality with him, for whatever reason. 

If the price is right, I hope we can keep him. But at the same time, if he moves on, I'll be a bit relieved in some ways, knowing our defense will be a little less injury prone.