The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

3 hours ago, Yung1 said:

It's a good thing you didn't go into scouting

He scores that goal and you think that makes it all go away,..   gotta luv the empathy some fans have for their favourite flo’s.

Cinderella stories, and happy endings don’t define careers or place you in a throne.

• Wat 2

On 8/5/2020 at 7:05 PM, SilentSam said:

He loses the puck on his own boards too often,  can not clear the net for the goalie to have point veiw..  Gets hit,  carelessly,. Which has had him only play 50% of the game he possibly could have in his career,  which as a player of a supposedly higher caliber, is a loss to the team for the 4.5 he has earned..  

he tries to track a player instead of taking him, can not shut down a cycle.

people here get boon doggled by his quick feet and flapping flo hustle..  but it’s like watching a hamster on a treadmill .

If you watch him, scrutinize his game more for the player he should be and his decision making.

this year Quinn has made Tanev look good.

But Quinn is capable of doing that with anyone.

Its because of this crab bucket mentality that Tanev didnt win the Unsung Hero award. Hes not flashy but playing 

sound D isnt flashy. Tanev makes 4.5 for a reason he has his flaws but the upside to him is crazy. He has quietly 

become an untradable asset. You mention the time off he had and yet pay no mention to the REASONS he was

off he takes hits to make defensive plays which to the untrained eye seems careless at points but I would argue

its passion to just try and make that play. 

On 8/8/2020 at 8:28 AM, Maddogy said:

This series changed my mind. I am OK if Toffoli is let go and we sign Tanev for $4.5 M x 4 years. None of the talented kids on D is ready to replace Tanev

Probably $5 x 3yr would do it.

• Cheers 1

On August 3, 2020 at 6:42 PM, SilentSam said:

@-AJ-  quote”He was rivaling Hughes as the best defenseman on the team. Only one or two mistakes, but aside from that Tanman was playing well.”

I did see him rush up on one play only to give away a breakaway to his side..

I did see him get nailed hard at least 3 times durring that game..

but I didn’t see him move anyone from the front of our net.. or stop a cycle in his own zone..

I did see Myers do the opposite,  there both defence men right?

Hughes can make anyone look good..

bottom line.

You know that is exactly what was said about Tanev, earlier in his career when he was still establishing himself, right? And it still applies; playing with Tanev allows Huggy to just relax and play his game, knowing that his D partner is totally reliable defensively.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

Its because of this crab bucket mentality that Tanev didnt win the Unsung Hero award. Hes not flashy but playing 

sound D isnt flashy. Tanev makes 4.5 for a reason he has his flaws but the upside to him is crazy. He has quietly 

become an untradable asset. You mention the time off he had and yet pay no mention to the REASONS he was

off he takes hits to make defensive plays which to the untrained eye seems careless at points but I would argue

its passion to just try and make that play. 

.. I missed “brittle”.

Ginger snap type.

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

You know that is exactly what was said about Tanev, earlier in his career when he was still establishing himself, right? And it still applies; playing with Tanev allows Huggy to just relax and play his game, knowing that his D partner is totally reliable defensively.

Hughes looks better, and, gets better protection with Myers.

Who do you think St Louis going to Target on D physically first?

it will be Tanev..  weakest link in a chain , breaks the chain.

On 8/8/2020 at 11:10 PM, RogersTowell said:

It's almost like we're watching different games and likely in different decades.

He wins a lot of the battles on the boards and when he loses he still keeps his check contained because he makes good decisions and doesn't over play.  His shot suppression is probably the best on the team by a long shot because he keeps his check contained, has good vision in the defensive zone and picks up guys who are open in dangerous spots.  He blocks shots fearlessly, which is why he misses games with injuries.  He's our top PK on defense because of all of the above reasons.  We're no longer in the era where you 'clear guys out in front of the crease' with cross checks and out muscling them (unless you are Chara, Meyers or Tryamkin).

You re right, he's not the fastest skater in the world, but he's fast enough for his role.  He doesn't jump up into the play too often, but when he does he's reasonably effective.  Hughes has made him better this year (and vice versa).  He's a solid shut down defence man that pretty much any team in the league would be happy to have.  He's Willie Mitchell with better passing and less physicality.

I've tried to convince Sam to be the silent, strong type but he won't listen. :bigblush:

Just now, SilentSam said:

Myers only asset is his size wich is a big plus around our goalie. He's too slow to get back in time wich could kill us if we meet a team like Dallas and he's inferior pointwise in PP compared with Edler. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/5/2020 at 6:05 PM, SilentSam said:

He loses the puck on his own boards too often,  can not clear the net for the goalie to have point veiw..  Gets hit,  carelessly,. Which has had him only play 50% of the game he possibly could have in his career,  which as a player of a supposedly higher caliber, is a loss to the team for the 4.5 he has earned..  

people here get boon doggled by his quick feet and flapping flo hustle..  but it’s like watching a hamster on a treadmill .

If you watch him, scrutinize his game more for the player he should be and his decision making.

Tanev bleeds Canuck.  He isn't going anywhere.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Hughes is only paired with Myers when Tanev's been on the PK, just to get hughes out there again. Myers doesn't PK ,but is meant to help carry  on the 2nd PP. Funny  that is Tanev put up more points  than Myers without even including  the series ending goal.If our PK was not as sharp as it was, do you think Myers would get anywhere near the ice time he had. Myers did a great job clearing the net as well as eddy. Pretty sure Eddy had the sense to stay out of the box while doing pretty much the same thing, just more so within the rules of the game.I do see a need for Myers but your lack of any hockey sense about what  Tanev brings is a Joke.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 6:05 PM, SilentSam said:

You're joking right? Tanev is clearly, by far, the best defensive player on this team. Tanev takes big hits to make solid first passes, he blocks shots, breaks up passes, takes lanes away, penalty kills, etc... I don't need to go on, his advance stats and basic stats speak for themselves. He's one of the best shut down Ds in the league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2020 at 10:19 AM, Timråfan said:

I've tried to convince Sam to be the silent, strong type but he won't listen. :bigblush:

Myers only asset is his size wich is a big plus around our goalie. He's too slow to get back in time wich could kill us if we meet a team like Dallas and he's inferior pointwise in PP compared with Edler. 

That’s all you see?  that’s all you get.

On 8/10/2020 at 12:11 PM, Dekey Pete said:

Tanev bleeds Canuck.  He isn't going anywhere.

Let’s see how long the “glass slipper” lasts in this story..  

we’ve only just started playoff play,. Not his strong point.    It’s tough when your a target.

19 hours ago, Dannydog said:

Hughes is only paired with Myers when Tanev's been on the PK, just to get hughes out there again. Myers doesn't PK ,but is meant to help carry  on the 2nd PP. Funny  that is Tanev put up more points  than Myers without even including  the series ending goal.If our PK was not as sharp as it was, do you think Myers would get anywhere near the ice time he had. Myers did a great job clearing the net as well as eddy. Pretty sure Eddy had the sense to stay out of the box while doing pretty much the same thing, just more so within the rules of the game.I do see a need for Myers but your lack of any hockey sense about what  Tanev brings is a Joke.

Play Myers more with Hughes,  and watch what happens.

19 hours ago, Dannydog said:

Close to a 50% injury rate his entire career.  When your out your not contributing to the team,  it’s a let down..  and I’m not analytics,  but that just common sense. 4-5 mil (or more next contract) should bring you attendance and consistency..  not the opposite.

35 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

You're joking right? Tanev is clearly, by far, the best defensive player on this team. Tanev takes big hits to make solid first passes, he blocks shots, breaks up passes, takes lanes away, penalty kills, etc... I don't need to go on, his advance stats and basic stats speak for themselves. He's one of the best shut down Ds in the league.

I’ve said it before,  let’s see how long this “glass slipper” lasts,.  We’re only starting playoff games now.

He does not shut down”

He tracks..  to the pass off, then re sets..  rarely shuts down.. that takes physicality.

He dosent move anyone in front of the net,

tries to stay involved, but is usually used as extra screen by a forward who handles him.

Edited by SilentSam