Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

On a brighter note, re-signing Markstrom should cost less...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

#silverlinings

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

It depends on how Marky does the rehab. If he comes okt stronger in the legs/knees we will see even more spectacular saves... 

• Hydration 1

46 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

It depends on how Marky does the rehab. If he comes okt stronger in the legs/knees we will see even more spectacular saves... 

Well he's unlikely to play the rest of the year except for maybe the playoffs if we make it there. Injury proneness will probably reduce his contract, though I don't think one injury will have a significant effect.

Ironically the playoffs start 6 weeks from tonight...pray that Demko stays healthy because I don't see a tandem of Louis D. and Mikey D. going on a magical run.

Capture.JPG

50 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Hopefully his recovery is quick

Why can’t JB just say Marky had his knee scoped?  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why can’t JB just say Marky had his knee scoped?  

Because the NHL has this archaic injury secrecy thing that goes back decades. In the other 3 leagues you know exactly what kind of injury a player has, when and what kind of surgery/procedure is needed and a fairly accurate timeline, hell you even know the doctor in some cases.

• Like 1

Just now, GritGrinder said:

Because the NHL has this archaic injury secrecy thing that goes back decades. In the other 3 leagues you know exactly what kind of injury a player has, when and what kind of surgery/procedure is needed and a fairly accurate timeline, hell you even know the doctor in some cases.

And that’s just another reason why people don’t bet nearly so much on the NHL.  

It would seem that Marky’s +22 was covering up for a fair amount of roster weaknesses and the occasionally questionable coaching decision.

That +22 represents about a dozen wins this season that the Canucks probably wouldn’t have gotten with league average goaltending.

Captain Obvious: I guess having the league’s best netminder was a factor in this team’s ability to compete for the division lead this season.

Of course there are other factors. It makes sense that we’re getting some bad bounces now, as we benefited from quite a few lucky breaks in many of our wins earlier in the season. These things tend to average out over the full 82 games. Same goes for missed calls/bad calls. Once they realized the Canucks were leading the league in power play opportunities, you knew the zebras would feel the need to put their fingers on the scale.

But mostly, we’re just seeing how much our MVP meant to this team. Simply put, Marky was the best goalie in the NHL in 2019-20, up until his injury. He probably won’t win any league awards (mostly because of the antiquated stats that generally are still used to determine goaltending quality), but he undoubtedly deserves the Vezina this year, and probably the Hart at well.

Tough break losing him (understatement of the year), but I suppose the bright side is that we get the opportunity to actually see how much he means to the team, and a reality check on where this roster is without him. 

And people still think he is going to sign for $5 to $6 million.  If he was actually going to sign for that amount wouldn't Benning have already re-signed him?  The reason why he hasn't re-signed yet is because Markstrom wants to be paid among the highest goalies in the league.  As a UFA he has all the negotiation power.  And the more we fall out of a playoff spot the bigger that number gets for Marky.  It is going to go up around $500k per week.  So if we miss the playoffs then that $6 million offer is going to be north of $8 million.

I can see Buffalo and Detroit going after him hard.  They got millions in cap space.  Detroit is known for its Swedish players and Buffalo has Dahlin.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

And people still think he is going to sign for $5 to $6 million.  If he was actually going to sign for that amount wouldn't Benning have already re-signed him?  The reason why he hasn't re-signed yet is because Markstrom wants to be paid among the highest goalies in the league.  As a UFA he has all the negotiation power.  And the more we fall out of a playoff spot the bigger that number gets for Marky.  It is going to go up around $500k per week.  So if we miss the playoffs then that $6 million offer is going to be north of $8 million.

I can see Buffalo and Detroit going after him hard.  They got millions in cap space.  Detroit is known for its Swedish players and Buffalo has Dahlin.

This is hyperbole and nothing more.

There is ZERO news regarding your bolded statement. 

There was actual talk however, that the Canucks wanted to sign Marky for a shorter term deal but he wanted longer.  Nothing to panic about....unless you want to go to the coronaivirus thread --> tons to panic about there!!

Even if your panicky statement was correct, if Marky did get 6 million per year, that would make him one of the NHL's highest paid goalies:

image.png.f423dae2f985a98d70249bbda021906d.png

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It would seem that Marky’s +22 was covering up for a fair amount of roster weaknesses and the occasionally questionable coaching decision.

That +22 represents about a dozen wins this season that the Canucks probably wouldn’t have gotten with league average goaltending.

Captain Obvious: I guess having the league’s best netminder was a factor in this team’s ability to compete for the division lead this season.

Of course there are other factors. It makes sense that we’re getting some bad bounces now, as we benefited from quite a few lucky breaks in many of our wins earlier in the season. These things tend to average out over the full 82 games. Same goes for missed calls/bad calls. Once they realized the Canucks were leading the league in power play opportunities, you knew the zebras would feel the need to put their fingers on the scale.

But mostly, we’re just seeing how much our MVP meant to this team. Simply put, Marky was the best goalie in the NHL in 2019-20, up until his injury. He probably won’t win any league awards (mostly because of the antiquated stats that generally are still used to determine goaltending quality), but he undoubtedly deserves the Vezina this year, and probably the Hart at well.

Tough break losing him (understatement of the year), but I suppose the bright side is that we get the opportunity to actually see how much he means to the team, and a reality check on where this roster is without him. 

Valiquette (founder/owner of CSA) has the numbers: 

As Woodley was explaining most observers/GMs simply look at SV% and GAA and ignore context.  Will be interesting to see what happens with his contract.

Edited by mll

Wow, Cory is getting 6mill. for playing in the AHL as a backup.  9th on that list   Sounds worse than our Loui contract.

If we don't re-sign him I will be very concerned about next season, no way I would just hand it over to Demko. They would have to bring in another top notch goalie, if available, and then what would that cost, better to just write the cheque.

23 minutes ago, aliboy said:

If we don't re-sign him I will be very concerned about next season, no way I would just hand it over to Demko. They would have to bring in another top notch goalie, if available, and then what would that cost, better to just write the cheque.

Questionable if another goalie of Marky’s quality will even hit the open market, be willing to play in a Canadian city, and be affordable under our cap situation.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

This is hyperbole and nothing more.

There is ZERO news regarding your bolded statement. 

There was actual talk however, that the Canucks wanted to sign Marky for a shorter term deal but he wanted longer.  Nothing to panic about....unless you want to go to the coronaivirus thread --> tons to panic about there!!

Even if your panicky statement was correct, if Marky did get 6 million per year, that would make him one of the NHL's highest paid goalies:

image.png.f423dae2f985a98d70249bbda021906d.png

Marky will get more than John Gibson.  If the number was $5 to $6 million Benning would have signed him already.  The real number today is $7 million.  If we miss the playoffs then that number will rise even higher.  But given Marky's character and love for the City I can see him taking a hometown discount.  So $7 million might do it.  That would put him in the top 6 goalies in the league where he belongs...

36 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Marky will get more than John Gibson.  If the number was $5 to $6 million Benning would have signed him already.  The real number today is $7 million.  If we miss the playoffs then that number will rise even higher.  But given Marky's character and love for the City I can see him taking a hometown discount.  So $7 million might do it.  That would put him in the top 6 goalies in the league where he belongs...

I think it has to do with a NMC for the expansion draft. If Demko doesn't play and get us into the playoffs then I think that is a pretty moot point. 

23 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I think it has to do with a NMC for the expansion draft. If Demko doesn't play and get us into the playoffs then I think that is a pretty moot point. 

Yes I don't think that NMC would be an issue anymore.  Marky has zero chance of being left unprotected.  

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

So we need to pay Marky $7m+ or he's going to go play for 'top contenders' Detroit and Buffalo without the goalie coach that helped get him there.

Ok :)

:lol:

Edited by aGENT