The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Miller | #30 | G

-SN-

28 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Well, Miller is starting again tonight against ARZ, It will be interesting if he also takes the next game at home Fri and leave Marky Sat. Night in CGY.

I think it is now pretty evident that Miller is making the decisions and not Willie!

I think WD deferred to Miller from day one.  Didn't he even say as much in an interview the first season?

Miller was outstanding last night!

JAY JANOWERVerified account ‏@DOUBLEJGLOBALBC  2m2 minutes ago

Team Defence? In his last 5 starts (all wins) Ryan Miller has faced 157 shots...he's stopped 150 of them. 

Edited by Mackcanuck

3 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Miller was outstanding last night!

JAY JANOWERVerified account ‏@DOUBLEJGLOBALBC  2m2 minutes ago

Team Defence? In his last 5 starts (all wins) Ryan Miller has faced 157 shots...he's stopped 150 of them. 

Absolutely great tending by Miller for several games now. It should increase his marketability at the TDL.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2017 at 9:31 AM, Boudrias said:

Absolutely great tending by Miller for several games now. It should increase his marketability at the TDL.

I think trading Miller is off the table Bouds. Someone is going to have to play goal for us the rest of this year and next and Markstrom is not a 60 game work horse at this stage, hopefully some day he is.

Miller has been absolutely lights out recently. Really unprecedented, I'd say. Makes me want to sign him for one more year, but with the way he's playing, he'll ask for $6M+ if it's a one-year deal and I don't know if I'd want that. The dream would be for him to take a discount and sign for around 4-5M for one season, but I don't think he'd go that low.

7 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

I think trading Miller is off the table Bouds. Someone is going to have to play goal for us the rest of this year and next and Markstrom is not a 60 game work horse at this stage, hopefully some day he is.

Benning should trade Miller only if the returning value is there. 2nd Rounder or higher. He is playing so well that I expect his new contract will target a 3 year deal and that is to much for Van. It is the old story with the Canucks that a quality vet walks as a UFA for no return. IMHO Van cannot allow that. I would also argue that Markstrom is ready to be a #1 and considering the team development timeline it is Markstrom's spot.

• Upvote 1

Miller was very strong in last night's game.  Problem--on the disputed no-goal all of the Canucks were standing in front of the net watching.  I guess they heard the whistle that was never blown.  For goodness sake knock someone on their butt!  Don't leave it to your goalie to fend off three opposition forwards whacking away at him for almost 5 seconds.  Even minor league kids are taught to play till the whistle is blown.  

On 2017-01-04 at 11:15 AM, Mackcanuck said:

Well, Miller is starting again tonight against ARZ, It will be interesting if he also takes the next game at home Fri and leave Marky Sat. Night in CGY.

I think it is now pretty evident that Miller is making the decisions and not Willie!

well it's not quite that clear cut to say miller makes the decisions

but he is the #1 goalie

and as was the case with luongo when he was #1

he was consulted about all starts and had a lot of say about which games he played in (well until torts anyway)

that is fairly typical of nhl teams if they have a clear cut veteran #1 goalie

so miller is consulted and does have a lot of say about his starts and schedule

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Millsy hotter than Noreen right now! :P

Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff  11m11 minutes ago

#Canucks Miller since Xmas

C2tmn33UoAEMDbQ.jpg:large

Was just looking at this... 

9 games

7-0-2

1.55 GAA

.954 SV% 

2 shutouts

What a streak!

(Markys 2.33GAA and .928SV% in that time is nothing to sneeze at either)

Edited by coryberg

9 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Anyone getting worrying that Benning may blow some upcoming cap space on a new deal for Miller? 

Yes, yes I am. This may make Markstrom the guy to get traded, but I would be very concerned as to who backs up Demko in 2 years. I think Demko is a nhl back up next year and hopefully the starter the year after that.

14 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Anyone getting worrying that Benning may blow some upcoming cap space on a new deal for Miller? 

Why does extending Miller for another two years be worrisome?  He's playing really well, Markstrom gets to work in more over those two seasons, and it gives Demko more development time.  

• Upvote 1