The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Miller | #30 | G

-SN-

4 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Not for you and I to answer.  If we somehow got into the #2 position, then it would be whoever NJ DIDN'T pick.  

I think both would be good for this club as we really need an elite #1 center replacement, and both these players at least have that potential.  I think Hischier would be the more exciting player to watch and has the higher offensive ceiling, but I think that given the fact we are a rather ungritty team to play against that perhaps Patrick would be the better choice.  But I also think he has the higher chance for failure/injury issues over Hischier.  

Regardless of who is selected, I have trust in Benning he will end up with a very good player at the least.

It seems like all the top 7 or 8 guys are kind of pretty even.  

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It seems like all the top 7 or 8 guys are kind of pretty even.  

They aren't far off.  I'm certain some of the picks 5-8 will turn out to be excellent players.

The scout consensus though is that Patrick and Hischier are slightly above the rest.  But yeah, it's usually a crap shoot when drafting and this draft class exemplifies that.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Who do we "truly" want then: Patrick or Hischier?  

Hischier.
He's the only player that could make geriatric Canucks fans do a double take, thinking they've seen the ghost of Pavel Bure (I know he's still alive :P).

The way he slips through cracks and holds onto the puck is a treat to watch. He won't put up as many points as Mitch Marner did last year, but he's not that far off either.

He's no Matthews or McDavid, but he's got Ehlers type ability with better size/strength, better defensive acumen, and seemingly more overall swagger.

Edited by nergish

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB waiting to see if he will take on one of Dallas' nasty goalie contracts to get a top pick before signing Miller?

Probably expansion - one goalie to protect and it's forbidden to have a deal in place and delay signing the contract to save a protection spot. 

Edited by mll

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Ryan Miller | #30 | G
  • 3 years later...

Congratulations to Ryan Miller on 18 great seasons in the NHL! He will be retiring at the conclusion of the 2020-21 season. Thank you for giving it your all during your time in the Canucks crease. Happy retirement and enjoy your downtime with Noureen, Bodhi, and his dog, Puck!

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 12:30 PM, -AJ- said:

One of the best American goaltenders of all-time. Not sure how highly he ranks up there, but he's up there.

I didn't like the signing at first but my viewpoint changed completely when he stuck up for Stecher being manhandled in that Laffs game by Martin.

A goalie.  And an old goalie did that.  You can't buy that kind of veteran leadership.  Not sure Benning was thinking going hard after Lucic back then given the extremely bad history between those two players.