Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Ryan Miller | #30 | G

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why does extending Miller for another two years be worrisome?  He's playing really well, Markstrom gets to work in more over those two seasons, and it gives Demko more development time.  

Age, and money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why does extending Miller for another two years be worrisome?  He's playing really well, Markstrom gets to work in more over those two seasons, and it gives Demko more development time.  

My issue with resigning Miller is that his value is not realized at the TDL. As a UFA I am sure he will look for a 3 year deal at the going rate for a top goal tender. Canucks are rebuilding and prospects he might bring back are needed during the transition. A good backup for Markstrom can be had and Demko can be spotted in year 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, gurn said:

Age, and money.

He's not re signing for 6 Million again, and the free agent class this Summer is weak. Money isn't an issue, even if we were a competitive team.

What factor does age play? He's 36 now and his play has barely dipped from when he was 33. Even if it does, you just take the workload and go 55-25 instead of 40-40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zhukini said:

He's not re signing for 6 Million again, and the free agent class this Summer is weak. Money isn't an issue, even if we were a competitive team.

What factor does age play? He's 36 now and his play has barely dipped from when he was 33. Even if it does, you just take the workload and go 55-25 instead of 40-40.

36 is not 33, and you say his play has dipped since 33. The money will be needed to sign Gudbranson, Horvat, Tryamkin, Gaunce, Rodin? and a replacement for Burrows(if not Burrows himself)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, gurn said:

36 is not 33, and you say his play has dipped since 33. The money will be needed to sign Gudbranson, Horvat, Tryamkin, Gaunce, Rodin? and a replacement for Burrows(if not Burrows himself)

His stats at 36, have only been better once, since turning 28. It's a dip from his Vezina ability back in the day but he's still a top tier goalie, 2 years should only change that slightly. 

 

14 Million is coming off the books in that two years along with the 4.5 For Burrows and whatever Miller would get re signed too. There's your insurance for signing those players. I don't know why you brought up Gaunce and Rodin. They'll be making peanuts. Signing Gudbranson long term for more money is more worrying that re signing Miller for two years at 3 Million a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, gurn said:

Age, and money.

I guess we'll see if JB has confidence in Markstrom to carry the load.  If we sign Miller, does that mean Markstrom gets traded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

His stats at 36, have only been better once, since turning 28. It's a dip from his Vezina ability back in the day but he's still a top tier goalie, 2 years should only change that slightly. 

 

14 Million is coming off the books in that two years along with the 4.5 For Burrows and whatever Miller would get re signed too. There's your insurance for signing those players. I don't know why you brought up Gaunce and Rodin. They'll be making peanuts. Signing Gudbranson long term for more money is more worrying that re signing Miller for two years at 3 Million a year.

Re Gaunce and Rodin- a nickel here and a nickel there and soon you are talking real money.

Signing Gud. for more money maybe worrying, but it will need to be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Alflives said:

I guess we'll see if JB has confidence in Markstrom to carry the load.  If we sign Miller, does that mean Markstrom gets traded?

I move Miller to maximize on his great play this year. Markstrom is ready to be a #1. As a UFA he is going to sign for market and duration. I would be surprise if he didn't get a 3 year deal. It comes down to asset management. He should return a 2nd Rounder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I move Miller to maximize on his great play this year. Markstrom is ready to be a #1. As a UFA he is going to sign for market and duration. I would be surprise if he didn't get a 3 year deal. It comes down to asset management. He should return a 2nd Rounder.

Sounds like a good plan, but is it JB's plan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I move Miller to maximize on his great play this year. Markstrom is ready to be a #1. As a UFA he is going to sign for market and duration. I would be surprise if he didn't get a 3 year deal. It comes down to asset management. He should return a 2nd Rounder.

I would like to kobe him but really who's in the market for a 1g rental?

 

Only playoff teams so that cuts the list down to 15.

 

Out of those 15 only

 

Dallas-probably a tarnished relationship after the hamhuis debacle

 

St louis-already tried miller

 

Ottawa

 

Philadelphia 

 

Have a need for a 1g.

 

So that cuts the list down to 2 potential trade partners. Very limited. Not going to say I don't want it to happen because  I do. Not going to say it's impossible.  Just that it's not likely going to happen due to the circumstances. As vancouver fans we know how loopy the goalie market is having traded 2 number 1 goalies in the last 5 years neither getting market value.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see calgary giving him a 3 year 5 mil deal in the off season. He wouldn't be that far from California and would stabilize that team. They could be downright scary if they had a goalie that could steal games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

I would like to kobe him but really who's in the market for a 1g rental?

 

Only playoff teams so that cuts the list down to 15.

 

Out of those 15 only

 

Dallas-probably a tarnished relationship after the hamhuis debacle

 

St louis-already tried miller

 

Ottawa

 

Philadelphia 

 

Have a need for a 1g.

 

So that cuts the list down to 2 potential trade partners. Very limited. Not going to say I don't want it to happen because  I do. Not going to say it's impossible.  Just that it's not likely going to happen due to the circumstances. As vancouver fans we know how loopy the goalie market is having traded 2 number 1 goalies in the last 5 years neither getting market value.  

 

 

True enough. It would take an injury on a CUP contender. Not likely to happen.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Benning has to trade Miller now! He is playing great hockey. As a pending UFA he will demand at least a 3 year term and market rate for a #1 tender. Vancouver cannot use Miller for another 3 years. Time to get something back before he moves on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Benning has to trade Miller now! He is playing great hockey. As a pending UFA he will demand at least a 3 year term and market rate for a #1 tender. Vancouver cannot use Miller for another 3 years. Time to get something back before he moves on.

At 36 going on 37, I think Miller knows that a 3-year contract is pretty hopeful. I suspect he will either get a 1- or 2-year contract. That said, I do believe he will be looking for a starting job and starting kind of money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hatedkid666 said:

What he say?

I made a poor joke. I hope those hurt or insulted realize it isn't an indication of my beliefs. Very insensitive, but not intended. Sorry.

I didn't see the tweet but it was something about trading players with mumps to other teams like giving out smallpox blankets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a lot of things to kid about in this world, but the Genocide of the First Nations isn't one of them.

 

He never should have said what he did, but good on him for bowing to pressure and apologizing.

 

It's too bad because not many poeple in Vancouver are joking.. we needed a little levity. But this backfired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.