The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) - Lucic or Eriksson

I have seen in many topics now that everyone is 50/50 on signing Eriksson and/or Lucic.

I can't decide on who I would rather sign as a UFA for our team next year. Who would be the better fit?

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards,

Ness 

Eriksson fits in with the Sedins. That would allow Hansen to move down to the 3rd line where he would be most effective. Lucic can't play the right side so he would be in competition with Dank and Sven for ice time on the LW. He might end up being a $6 million 3rd line LW. With Guds and Try we don't really need his toughness anymore. He hardly ever fights anymore anyways. 

So therefore for me it's a no brainer. Take Eriksson and pay him the $5-6 million and he can be our first line RW. 

Can Lucic play RW or is he only an LW?  

Does he need a playmaker to be effective?  I know he played with Krejci and Kopitar - so could he be as productive with Sutter, who Ferraro says is not a passer.

As much as I dislike Lucic, he is also only 27. To sign him to a 4 year contract won't be the worst thing in the world and he should still be very productive through it. He might also be a tremendous example of player for Jake Virtanen to model himself after. 

Like I said, I don't want necessarily want Lucic, but he's much younger then Eriksson and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. 

23 minutes ago, mll said:

Can Lucic play RW or is he only an LW?  

Does he need a playmaker to be effective?  I know he played with Krejci and Kopitar - so could he be as productive with Sutter, who Ferraro says is not a passer.

I believe the question is can Lucic play LW...Let's be honest Lucic handles the puck like it was a hand grenade. There has to be someone to bounce the puck in off his shin pads or else he doesn't score. 

Lucic all day. He's 27, tough as nails, scores 20 goals and had one of his best seasons last year. He's a winner as well. Stanley Cup Champ, Memorial cup champ and he played a big part in both. Would love to get him on a 4-5 year deal. Players are at their peak 25-31ish and he's right in that window. We need to stop being bitter about him kickn our butt and have him help us kick butt!

both would be good additions but i think Lucic will cost you more $$$

If equal in price or even close to equal, I think i'd chose Lucic because everyone else on the team will be much braver 

....scared hockey players aren't as effective

Nobody would "cheap shot" a Sedin with Lucic in the line up

I would add Brouwer to the conversation as well...he seems like a leader as well as a clutch scorer 

9 minutes ago, bassetgreg said:

If equal in price or even close to equal, I think i'd chose Lucic because everyone else on the team will be much braver 

I would add Brouwer to the conversation as well...he seems like a leader as well as a clutch scorer 

Not sure if you saw Lucic's last season in Boston but everyone was getting a cheap shot in on him. He's not as effective anymore, he's slow, gets run over and his antics cost his team games which is why I feel Boston eventually decided to sacrifice him to the cap.

Taking Lucic would be a step backward for this franchise. We're supposed to improve, Lucic definitely doesn't do that. Let LA suffer with him.

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

Eriksson over Lucic

Stamkos>Okposo>Eriksson=Beodker>Brouwer>Lucic 

That's my list of big name UFAs I would want. 

I would agree. Although I don't want to sign Lucic at all, and I believe our chances of signing Stamkos are null.

My UFA priority list would look like this:

Okposo>Eriksson>Brouwer>Beodker

But to the OP, Eriksson over Lucic any day of the week (for our current team needs).

21 minutes ago, bassetgreg said:

Totally agree and if we do Brower has already stated he would like to play here.

1 hour ago, Harvey Spector said:

Eriksson fits in with the Sedins. That would allow Hansen to move down to the 3rd line where he would be most effective. Lucic can't play the right side so he would be in competition with Dank and Sven for ice time on the LW. He might end up being a $6 million 3rd line LW. With Guds and Try we don't really need his toughness anymore. He hardly ever fights anymore anyways. 

So therefore for me it's a no brainer. Take Eriksson and pay him the $5-6 million and he can be our first line RW. 

For a few months then he'll be demoted to "spread out scoring" 

I like Lucic over Eriksson for the toughness.  The deal would have to make sense though, I don't want to overpay for any player, and I feel like Lucic will be getting inflated offers league wide if it goes to July.  Eriksson is a player you add to a contender who need one more impact player.  I hope we don't target Eriksson.

I'm not convinced Eriksson is suck a great match for the Sedin's (honestly I think they need to be split anyways)

The Sedin's and Eriksson play on the euro big ice, with brief chemistry. The pacific division on NHL ice is nothing like that.

Looks too similar to Vrbata with the Sedin's to me. 

No grit, not bite, no dig, no hitting, no blood n gutts.

Sedin's need someone to go get the puck for them and then get in front of the net.

For that reason I would prefer Okposo.

If only the choice of Lucic-Eriksson, then it has to be Lucic for 4 years. 

You won't see the Sedin's getting faced washed much with Lucic with them, can't tell me that won't create some space for them.

Lucic-Hank-Hansen

Daniel-Sutter-Virtanen

Baerstchi-Horvat-Etem

or

Daniel-Hank-Lucic

Hansen-Sutter-Virtanen

Baer-Horv-Etem

Archived