The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Utica Comets Thread

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

They have a Calder Cup winning coach still being paid have they not? They would struggle to do better than Desjardins but I doubt they have the balls to approach him after the cluster-ck way they treated him in Vancouver.

We are hoping for another Calder Cup winning coach who ran the #1 power play in the NHL last year and has ties to Utica that is now out of work.  

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Who is that?

I'm guessing UticaHockey is referring to Bob Woods. He was an assistant with Buffalo last season and was credited with running their powerplay which was the best in the league. However he was let go with the rest of the coaching staff.

Bob Woods also played for the Utica Devils in the late 80's and early 90's and won the Calder Cup as a player in '97. He also apparently keeps tabs on the Comets and his wife is from Utica. I haven't heard any rumors around him potentially being in the running though.

8 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I'm guessing UticaHockey is referring to Bob Woods. He was an assistant with Buffalo last season and was credited with running their powerplay which was the best in the league. However he was let go with the rest of the coaching staff.

Bob Woods also played for the Utica Devils in the late 80's and early 90's and won the Calder Cup as a player in '97. He also apparently keeps tabs on the Comets and his wife is from Utica. I haven't heard any rumors around him potentially being in the running though.

You are correct it was Bob Woods that many in Utica were hoping for.  However it was reported on Twitter last night that he will be teaming up with Bruce Boudreau again and will be joining the Minnesota Wild as an assistant coach.  Woods has been a long time assistant for Boudreau.  

In addition to running the Sabres power play to a league best 24.5% he won Calder Cups in Hershey both as an assistant and again as a head coach.

On 6/22/2017 at 2:43 AM, alfstonker said:

They have a Calder Cup winning coach still being paid have they not? They would struggle to do better than Desjardins but I doubt they have the balls to approach him after the cluster-ck way they treated him in Vancouver.

oh man,still infatuated by WD i see.he should be coaching pee wee.the guy thinks he should be gm,coach,head scout and team sports psychologist.don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya,WD.

Archived