The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Utica Comets Thread

1 minute ago, ShakyWalton said:

would they be available or would we have to poach them?

I'm pretty sure any college coach would have an out clause for the NHL or AHL.

Whether or not he wants to leave a prime coaching gig like that for the AHL is another question. Their former coach David Hakstol got hired straight from UND to the NHL. Maybe he wants to wait and see if he gets that same opportunity.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I'm hoping Brad Berry from UND.

I'm a big fan of what UND is doing right now. If we can get one or two of their coaches we should.

Is he a son of Don Berry..who used to run summer hockey camps in White Rock(low mainland) back in the 70's & 80's?

One of his boys captained the Cdn Oly's..Ken Berry, I believe.

16 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Is he a son of Don Berry..who used to run summer hockey camps in White Rock(low mainland) back in the 70's & 80's?

One of his boys captained the Cdn Oly's..Ken Berry, I believe.

Sounds logical..Ken Berry went to UND.....he also played a little with the Canucks in the 80s.

16 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

If you believe the rumor mill Troy Ward will be the next Comets coach.

16 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

If you believe the rumor mill Troy Ward will be the next Comets coach.

Ward didnt work out well here when he coached the WHL Giants but he has experience with Calgarys AHL team.

1 hour ago, ShakyWalton said:

Ward didnt work out well here when he coached the WHL Giants but he has experience with Calgarys AHL team.

I think that was more an issue of how bad that Giants team was than Ward's ability as a coach, they didn't get any better without him... the Giants as an organization have been a mess the past four years. I'm open to him taking the job in Utica if Green leaves, his time in Abbotsford was a much larger sample size with better results.

16 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I think that was more an issue of how bad that Giants team was than Ward's ability as a coach, they didn't get any better without him... the Giants as an organization have been a mess the past four years. I'm open to him taking the job in Utica if Green leaves, his time in Abbotsford was a much larger sample size with better results.

This is a pretty good Province blog about what happened here in Vancouver with Ward...if he is hired you can bet Weisbrod is behind it...wasnt he Calgarys GM when Ward was coaching Abby?

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/11/27/whl-giants-fall-from-grace-what-happened-with-troy-ward-and-how-can-they-get-the-season-back-on-the-rails/

9 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

This is a pretty good Province blog about what happened here in Vancouver with Ward...if he is hired you can bet Weisbrod is behind it...wasnt he Calgarys GM when Ward was coaching Abby?

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/11/27/whl-giants-fall-from-grace-what-happened-with-troy-ward-and-how-can-they-get-the-season-back-on-the-rails/

Oh interesting, another Weisbrod connection... I didn't even pick up on that. Hmm. That article implies he wasn't a very good fit for the junior level, that he took a pro approach to junior players and it fell apart. So maybe he's just a better fit at the AHL level. But my distrust for Weisbrod is tipping me a bit in the other direction. :lol:

8 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Oh interesting, another Weisbrod connection... I didn't even pick up on that. Hmm. That article implies he wasn't a very good fit for the junior level, that he took a pro approach to junior players and it fell apart. So maybe he's just a better fit at the AHL level. But my distrust for Weisbrod is tipping me a bit in the other direction. :lol:

Im not a Wiesbrod fan at all.

Man Utica is going to have some trouble scoring next year.

No real prime offensive prospects/players on the farm to step up into that big offensive roll.  Hope Jim Benning finds a way to replenish that because without having any offensive prospects grooming in the minors may have an effect on the big parent club going forward.  

42 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

No real prime offensive prospects/players on the farm to step up into that big offensive roll.  Hope Jim Benning finds a way to replenish that because without having any offensive prospects grooming in the minors may have an effect on the big parent club going forward.  

No kidding. I trust Green to get the most of whatever team he ices but goals are gonna be tough to come by, especially if a player like Zalewski or Gaunce makes the big club. Although to be fair a lot depends on what kind of veteran help JB signs over the summer... they need an O'Reilly type centre to anchor the first line and PP unit. Maybe Hensick can be persuaded to return to Utica.

8 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

No kidding. I trust Green to get the most of whatever team he ices but goals are gonna be tough to come by, especially if a player like Zalewski or Gaunce makes the big club. Although to be fair a lot depends on what kind of veteran help JB signs over the summer... they need an O'Reilly type centre to anchor the first line and PP unit. Maybe Hensick can be persuaded to return to Utica.

Hensick was openly campaigning on Twitter to come back to Utica next season. He couldn't stop saying how much he enjoyed the coaching staff, teammates and fans. If Benning offers him a fair contract there is no doubt in my mind that TJ would sign it.

9 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Free agency hasnt even started yet. Benning will add. He always does. Dont forget virtanen may be in the ahl next year too.

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Hensick was openly campaigning on Twitter to come back to Utica next season. He couldn't stop saying how much he enjoyed the coaching staff, teammates and fans. If Benning offers him a fair contract there is no doubt in my mind that TJ would sign it.

Yup, he was only on a one year deal with Carolina this past year, so he's a UFA now. The question is whether he'd want another NHL contract or if he'd do a well paying AHL contract.

I wonder if Abols will be in the mix for Utica next season. He's eligible, but he might need to start off in the ECHL depending on what the Comets' forward group looks like come October - although Benning could direct the Utica staff to keep him with the Comets since he is a JB find and not a player from the old regime. There's also the possibility he returns for an overage junior season but I don't think having a (relatively) soon to be 21 year old prospect playing junior is going to do him much good, better to use his two years before he has to be signed testing him on a tryout in the AHL/ECHL. They could also just offer him an ELC right away but that'd seem kind of odd to do for a 7th round pick.

3 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I wonder if Abols will be in the mix for Utica next season. He's eligible, but he might need to start off in the ECHL depending on what the Comets' forward group looks like come October - although Benning could direct the Utica staff to keep him with the Comets since he is a JB find and not a player from the old regime. There's also the possibility he returns for an overage junior season but I don't think having a (relatively) soon to be 21 year old prospect playing junior is going to do him much good, better to use his two years before he has to be signed testing him on a tryout in the AHL/ECHL. They could also just offer him an ELC right away but that'd seem kind of odd to do for a 7th round pick.

I think that Utica or Alaska are the likely landing places for him after training camp, and I'd rather see him with the Comets but he may be having a difficult time adjusting to the NA game. That could explain his low numbers in the WHL this season.

On the other hand, he did play some KHL hockey, and showed relatively well there. So maybe he felt like this was a step down for him, and had motivational issues. At camp last season, I thought he looked like a great prospect, but I wasn't impressed with his year.

He might turn out to be another Grenier, which would be sweet for a seventh rounder. That'd make him an awesome Utica asset.

Archived