The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Utica Comets Thread

4 hours ago, Qwags said:

What is the outlook on the team next season? Better or worse?

Impossible to say until free agency when we find out what vets JB will sign for the Comets, but I'd tentatively say about the same, maybe a little better if guys like Gaunce, Zalewski, Biega, Pedan don't make the Canucks out of camp. Demko, Stecher, and Nilsson are good adds. The rest of the prospects who could potentially play (Laplante, Abols, Neill, Stewart) aren't ones you'd expect to make a splash. So I think a lot rests on the vets and also (much like the parent club) which prospects take a step forward this year. If Cassels, Labate, Subban, or someone else makes strides like Shinkaruk and Zalewski did last year that's like adding an impact player for free.

As long as Green is provided with the player pool to ice an AHL quality team every night I'm confident they'll battle for the playoffs once again.

On 27 June 2016 at 6:39 AM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Impossible to say until free agency when we find out what vets JB will sign for the Comets, but I'd tentatively say about the same, maybe a little better if guys like Gaunce, Zalewski, Biega, Pedan don't make the Canucks out of camp. Demko, Stecher, and Nilsson are good adds. The rest of the prospects who could potentially play (Laplante, Abols, Neill, Stewart) aren't ones you'd expect to make a splash. So I think a lot rests on the vets and also (much like the parent club) which prospects take a step forward this year. If Cassels, Labate, Subban, or someone else makes strides like Shinkaruk and Zalewski did last year that's like adding an impact player for free.

As long as Green is provided with the player pool to ice an AHL quality team every night I'm confident they'll battle for the playoffs once again.

I think both Laplante and Abols might surprise us.

So Michael Chaput and Chad Billins both join the Comets for next season. Chaput seems like he'll be a solid #2 centre for Utica, it'd be nice if they can get a #1 guy but I don't know how likely that is. Billins looks like a top pairing defensemen for them which is a good start on the back end. They still need another vet to help anchor things back there but that could very well end up being Biega and/or Pedan depending on how things go in camp, and whether Larsen is signed or not (since that would give the Canucks nine defensemen, so someone definitely has to go through waivers at that point.)

Edit: speak of the devil, the second I type that Larsen signs his deal.

It looks like Gaunce will be coming back. Will he get the chance to be a #1C or #2C or will he be played on the wing? Despite the addition of Chaput, I hope he can still be trialed at center. That said, if Utica wants to contend they definitely need another center or elite  AHL winger, it seems we still lack a little offense. Don't want to put too much pressure on Demko.

On July 1, 2016 at 2:47 PM, Ossi Vaananen said:

Megna, Chaput, Radulic, and Billins. Nice adds for the Comets.

Definitely some good pieces for the Comets. Gaunce and Biega should also be back. But I'd still like them to add a couple veteran AHL allstar-types at #1C and #1D, just to really enhance the competitiveness of that group and maybe give them another run at the Calder. I think a long AHL playoff run can be invaluable in developing our prospects down in Utica.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Definitely some good pieces for the Comets. Gaunce and Biega should also be back. But I'd still like them to add a couple veteran AHL allstar-types at #1C and #1D, just to really enhance the competitiveness of that group and maybe give them another run at the Calder. I think a long AHL playoff run can be invaluable in developing our prospects down in Utica.

I agree. The signings yesterday all addressed needs for the Comets but a 1C and 1D would have the Comets competing for the top positions in the division. Especially with Travis Green back behind the bench.

25 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I agree. The signings yesterday all addressed needs for the Comets but a 1C and 1D would have the Comets competing for the top positions in the division. Especially with Travis Green back behind the bench.

Can you give us a line-up projection yet?

Without knowing who all has a one-way AHL contract, I wondered if it could look like this:

Gaunce Megna Grenier

Labate  Chaput  Jasek

Hamilton Cassels Bancks

Stewart Abols  Laplante

Rendulic  Valk

Biega Subban

Billins Stecher

Sautner Nilson

Cedarholm Neill

19 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Can you give us a line-up projection yet?

Without knowing who all has a one-way AHL contract, I wondered if it could look like this:

Gaunce Megna Grenier

Labate  Chaput  Jasek

Hamilton Cassels Bancks

Stewart Abols  Laplante

Rendulic  Valk

Biega Subban

Billins Stecher

Sautner Nilson

Cedarholm Neill

I think there will be a couple more signings plus camp invites that might make the opening game roster. From your list I don't see Stewart and Neill making the Comets and probably are Alaska bound. Not sure about Jasek or Abols either. Cederholm makes the Comets only if there are no other dman signings.

Mike Zalewski is missing from your list and will be in the top 6.

6 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I think there will be a couple more signings plus camp invites that might make the opening game roster. From your list I don't see Stewart and Neill making the Comets and probably are Alaska bound. Not sure about Jasek or Abols either. Cederholm makes the Comets only if there are no other dman signings.

Mike Zalewski is missing from your list and will be in the top 6.

I thought that they hadn't qualified Zalewski, but I see now that they have.  Quite a few legitimate depth call-ups there, though I'm not sure who counts as a serious prospect.

Thanks.

If I had to guess on the lineup based on the current signings....

Gaunce-Megna-Grenier

Zalewski-Chaput-Rendulic
Bancks-Hamilton-Labate
Laplante-Cassels-Abols
(Valk, Stewart)

Billins-Biega
Nilsson-Subban
Sautner-Stecher
(McEneny, Cederholm, maybe Neill... Ehrhardt/Negrin?)

Certainly stronger than last year's ragtag group. I think we can expect the Comets to make an AHL signing or two that'll change things here. I wouldn't be surprised to see Archibald signed by the Comets since he loves the city and he's better than any ECHL lifer they can sign on a PTO, so he'd be an improvement in that bottom six which looks a little green (although we have no idea how Laplante and Abols will adjust yet). Unless there's injuries or they're playing Binghamton, Stewart shouldn't be in the Comets lineup.

Still holding out hope they can get Hensick to return, I wouldn't mind the Canucks using a two way contract on him but I don't know how likely that is.

On 7/3/2016 at 3:35 AM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Gaunce-Megna-Grenier

Zalewski-Chaput-Rendulic
Bancks-Hamilton-Labate
Laplante-Cassels-Abols
(Valk, Stewart)

Billins-Biega
Nilsson-Subban
Sautner-Stecher

Certainly stronger than last year's ragtag group. I think we can expect the Comets to make an AHL signing or two that'll change things here. I wouldn't be surprised to see Archibald signed by the Comets since he loves the city and he's better than any ECHL lifer they can sign on a PTO, so he'd be an improvement in that bottom six which looks a little green (although we have no idea how Laplante and Abols will adjust yet). Unless there's injuries or they're playing Binghamton, Stewart shouldn't be in the Comets lineup.

Still holding out hope they can get Hensick to return, I wouldn't mind the Canucks using a two way contract on him but I don't know how likely that is.

If I were to guess: Benning already signed two centers so I don't think he'd sign another one (Hensick). I'm amazed at the center depth we have though. Zalewski, Valk and Gaunce will be playing the wings. If Gaunce can push it up another gear this year, maybe he can try step up and play the first line center spot.
I'm not liking that 4th line too much though. I have a feeling both Laplante and Abols will be playing in Alaska for a bit. I'd like to see McEneny and Cerderholm with Utica though. But I agree that this team looks superior to last years. There's quite a nice bit of depth here, definitely looking better than last year with a few nice call ups in Alaska. The players being bigger and more defensively solid like Abols may convince Green to play them, mayhaps :) I'd also love to see Jasek try for a spot. 

I see Defazio still hasn't been signed. He could take that 4th line LW spot and help Cassels find something to his game, and then take the first line LW spot when Gaunce is called up or injured. Although I feel like he may not want to return. Would be nice though! 

As for Stewart, isn't he playing defense again in camp? So he would go to Alaska as well? 
The RHD depth is looking nice now too.

On 7/2/2016 at 6:35 PM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Gaunce-Megna-Grenier

Zalewski-Chaput-Rendulic
Bancks-Hamilton-Labate
Laplante-Cassels-Abols
(Valk, Stewart)

Billins-Biega
Nilsson-Subban
Sautner-Stecher

I think Pedan will re-sign eventually or if left unsigned get an AHL contract with the Comets. He's a solid top 4 defenceman and could fit beside Subban or Biega. I think Subban needs a calming veteran presence beside him, Pedan could work but he's prone to brainfarts. Maybe someone like Billins and have Pedan on the first pair with Biega, then Sautner and Stecher in a limited 3rd pairing. 

Also, there's a lot of depth on defence. I'm wondering where McEneny and Cederholm will fit in at the end of all this. I think they should get a couple shots on Utica since they bring solid defence and size, but then again not much room. Brisebois, Neill, Olson are coming in next season. 

4 hours ago, Plum said:

I think Pedan will re-sign eventually or if left unsigned get an AHL contract with the Comets. He's a solid top 4 defenceman and could fit beside Subban or Biega. I think Subban needs a calming veteran presence beside him, Pedan could work but he's prone to brainfarts. Maybe someone like Billins and have Pedan on the first pair with Biega, then Sautner and Stecher in a limited 3rd pairing. 

Also, there's a lot of depth on defence. I'm wondering where McEneny and Cederholm will fit in at the end of all this. I think they should get a couple shots on Utica since they bring solid defence and size, but then again not much room. Brisebois, Neill, Olson are coming in next season. 

Stetcher has been very impressive at the development camp.  I do not think he will be on the third pairing for long.  I'd bet he'll be on the top pairing by the second half of the year.  

Archived