The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Utica Comets Thread

2 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

RW, with Kunyk as his regular LW. Valk has usually been the centre there but the lines are a little different in this game, they were just out with Cassels.

Do you think he should be playing LW?  He's seems to score the majority on his off wing no?

4-0 Comets after two periods, shots are even at 20-20. I can only speak to the second period but the Comets have been vastly better in this one and have also been the beneficiary of some puck luck (the Valk goal) which they didn't get at all yesterday. Grenier, who's been quiet since his return to Utica, looks much more involved in the game and had a chance for his second of the night which he rang off the post. Carcone and Pelletier have continued to show chemistry without Rendulic in the lineup, and similar to Virtanen, Carcone has started to see his hard work pay off. Green doesn't appear to like using Roy very much and he's been out there sparingly, with the lines being changed slightly from shift to shift to cover for him. Archibald was double shifting with Bancks and Hamilton late, and Cassels and Valk have been on different lines as well.

3 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Do you think he should be playing LW?  He's seems to score the majority on his off wing no?

I think it would give him a better shooting angle if he was coming down the left side, yeah. He makes similar plays a couple of times per game coming down the right side but it rarely results in anything and a lot of the time he misses the net. But I think Green is the type of coach who likes traditional structure with a lefty playing LW and a righty playing RW, and he seems to like pairing wingers together and rotating the centres more than shifting the wingers around. So I doubt we'll see him play LW, but I'd be interested to see how he'd do... I'm no coach or scout though.

2 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

Demko starting in back to back to back games??

Yep. Points are at a premium now and Green obviously sees Demko as the best way to get them. Hopefully Markstrom can get healthy soon so Bachman can come back and play the middle game of these three-in-three weekends so Demko isn't burnt out by the playoffs, if they make it.

Huge win for the Comets to stay in the race, Two out of three on the weekend is a great result. And if Albany loses today they're in a prime position to get within one when they play them on Friday.

Great weekend for Demko as well. After a rough go yesterday he bounced back strong and got the win. He's still 9-1 in his last ten starts. That's very impressive for a goalie playing in a new league.

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

So if Utica makes the playoffs they could be adding Gaunce, Goldobin and maybe Boeser and Dahlen (if not playing for Sweden)? Thats like adding a 1rst line to the team.

That's definitely going to add depth to the Comets. 

But don't forget,  other clubs will be adding as well.   

This is invaluable experience for the kids in Utica.   Really hope Green can get them into post season. 

Archived