The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Utica Comets Thread

The Comets lose a close one, 2-1 the final. Shots were 46-33 for Utica and the third period was severely tilted in the Comets' favour but the Penguins got the only goal of the frame... in a way, this one's tougher to take than yesterday's because they outplayed the league's best team and just couldn't score. Garteig played great but still doesn't have an AHL win under his belt even though he stopped 31 of 33. The Archibald-Valk-Grenier unit (with Zalewski taking the occasional turn there in place of Valk) did all they could, paired up with McEneny and Subban throughout the third, but no luck. Archibald hit a crossbar, Virtanen had a rush down the left side where he missed the net, Carcone a nice dangle leading to a backhand in front... lots of chances but just no goals. Robak was a standout defensively in this one as he has been all year, and Zalewski continued his strong two-way play but this is a tough way to lose.

Luckily for the Comets, St. John's did lose and Albany has been on a slide recently so the window of opportunity is still open. Toronto leads Syracuse 1-0 after the first in a game that you hope just ends in regulation either way. The Comets will have a home-and-home with Rochester next weekend where they absolutely need to take all four points, and then a rematch with these Penguins on Sunday.

1st      
No Scoring
2nd      
9:50 UTI Darren Archibald (21) ASST: Evan McEneny (14), Cody Kunyk (22) (PP)

10:31 WBS Sahir Gill (6) ASST: Derrick Pouliot (14), Zach Aston-Reese (4) (PP)

3rd      
6:10 WBS Dominik Simon (14) ASST: Tim Erixon (12), Kevin Porter (34)

Another tough loss today for the Comets vs the Penguins 2-1. Archibald, Valk, Grenier were on the ice for almost the last few minutes of the 3rd and weren't able to get anything going. Garteig had a solid performance and very unfortunate we weren't able to get enough goal support to try and get the win. These 3 game weekends are starting to take a toll on the team imo and they're running out of time to take a playoff spot from one of Albany, St Johns, Toronto. Must win games next week. Go Comets

Toronto beats Syracuse in regulation, so the North standings now look like this:

Toronto, 79 pts (68 gp)
Syracuse, 77 pts (67 gp)
St. John's, 74 pts (68 gp)
Albany, 73 pts (67 gp)
Utica, 71 pts (67 gp)

Nine games remain for the Comets - four divisional games (Syracuse x2, Toronto, St. John's), one against Wilkes-Barre, and four against bottom feeders (Rochester x3, Hartford). St. John's and Toronto play each other three times, and Syracuse plays Albany twice and Toronto twice so somebody will have to lose those games. This is probably going to go right down to the last week of the season.

ok I've had enough of this farce in Vancouver, can we just send down some of these players to help Utica? Who is papered to go down? The Canucks do not need anymore points this year and Utica needs all the help they can get. Bachman, Gaunce, Godolbin get them down to help. Please

8 hours ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

ok I've had enough of this farce in Vancouver, can we just send down some of these players to help Utica? Who is papered to go down? The Canucks do not need anymore points this year and Utica needs all the help they can get. Bachman, Gaunce, Godolbin get them down to help. Please

The Canucks only had 11 healthy forwards last night so I guess you can say that they are helping the Comets by not calling anyone else up.  I don't expect and help until the final weekend after the NHL season is over and at that point the Comets rivals will also be getting players back. 

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

The Canucks only had 11 healthy forwards last night so I guess you can say that they are helping the Comets by not calling anyone else up.  I don't expect and help until the final weekend after the NHL season is over and at that point the Comets rivals will also be getting players back. 

Bachman, Goldobin, Gaunce and LaBate could all come down. Markstrom ready to play by weekend so I expect Bachman to be down by the weekend. Gaunce, Ericksson, Guddy, Stecher, Cramarossa, Megna, and Skille all might play before year end. Dorsett or Granlund are not in the conversation. At a minimum either LaBate or Goldobin should be sent down. Ideally it should be Goldy for maximum scoring help.

Cramarossa and Megna are the most likely to come back from injury. Larsson can come back into the d-core if Stecher cannot go. Biega stays on wing. IMHO the biggest imperative for the Canuck org right now is Utica making the playoffs.  

13 hours ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

exactly right, though gaunce is still hurt and Bachman can't go down until marky is ready.  

1 hour ago, gino#29 said:

archibald looked great this weekend.why can't he make the canucks?probaly because WD,that coach needs to go.

Not exactly sure what WD has to do with this but IMHO Archie has carved out a very good AHL career but I don't think he is quick enough on his feet for that to translate to the NHL level.

2 hours ago, gino#29 said:

archibald looked great this weekend.why can't he make the canucks?probaly because WD,that coach needs to go.

Desjardins isn't in charge of signing contracts or bringing players up and down. Posts like this do help us identify people we should ignore when you make it so obvious though.

Archie isn't on contract with the Canucks now but maybe he can get a PTO during the Canucks preseason next year and they will give him a chance.  I wouldn't say that is very likely.  Hopefully they at least extend him in Utica next year.  He was selected as Team MVP at the Comets awards dinner last night.  

Archived