The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(RDS Article) Las Vegas Expansion 2017/18 Confirmed

Toews

Stolen off of HF. The article is in French but I stole the translation from user "BonkTastic" on the Ottawa Senators sub forum.

Highlights of the article:
- Vegas will start play in 2017/18
- Play in the Pacific division 
- Leading candidate for team name is "Black Knights", though not yet confirmed. 
- Expansion draft will be next off-season, BEFORE the Entry Draft (June 20th)
- Apparently have already completed negotiations with the NHLPA regarding expansion rules. That's done. Both sides have agreed. 
- Expansion draft protection list follows previously rumored format: 7F/3D/1G or "Any 8". 
- Teams will be forced to protect players with No-Move Clauses. Not forced to protect players with No-Trade Clauses. 
- The NHL has dropped the "Teams must leave 25% of their payroll unprotected" criteria that had been previously discussed. 
- Players with 2 or less Pro Seasons will be exempt from the draft.
- Players who have retired due to injury but still have active contracts (Pronger, Horton, etc...) will be exempt from the draft. 
- All teams are required to leave at least 2 F and 1D who are under contract for the 2017/18 season unprotected, who played at least 40 games last year (or 70 games over the last 2 years).
- Las Vegas will draft 30 players, at least 20 of whom MUST be under contract for the 2017-18 season (to reduce the likelihood of shenanigans)
- Las Vegas will NOT be allowed to buy out any players in it's first season (to reduce the likelihood of shenanigans).

-Also expiring contracts with NMC will not need to be protected.

REGARDING QUEBEC CITY:
- Will be excluded from this round of expansion
- Economics of hockey in Quebec not favorable fr a team at the moment, but Quebecor made a very good impression on the NHL.
- Possibility that this isn't a hard "no", but a "let's wait and see". 
- Quebec possibly the leading candidate in case a team needs to be moved. 

Regarding the draft for the new team.

The new team will have the odds of the 28th place team so the same odds the Canucks had this year. They will also regardless of the position they finish in the standings be guaranteed at minimum the 28th place odds for the next 4 drafts.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/las-vegas-dans-la-division-pacifique-des-2017-1.3399848

Apparently the article says it is confirmed and the NHL will announce. Wednesday.

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Thanks for posting.

Daniel, Henrik, Sutter, Baertschi, Horvat, Hansen, Granlund

Hutton, Gudbranson, Tryamkin

Markstrom

Do we need to trade Tanev, as we may not be able to retain him after next season?

You're not protecting virtanen?

Nvm he'll be at 2 pro seasons. My bad. 

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Thanks for posting.

Daniel, Henrik, Sutter, Baertschi, Horvat, Hansen, Granlund

Hutton, Gudbranson, Tryamkin

Markstrom

Do we need to trade Tanev, as we may not be able to retain him after next season?

IMO Tryamkin will almost certainly be exempt. I believe that by "pro season", they only mean pro seasons in North America. Hutton should be exempt as well as I doubt a handful of games in the AHL will count as 3 pro seasons. The protect list for D will likely be

Edler, Tanev and Gudbranson

The Canucks have absolutely nothing to worry about this expansion. There is not much of consequence that needs to be protected. I had hoped that Quebec could have been included in this draft as both teams will have slim pickings in this draft from the Canucks.

Next expansion draft though the Canucks might have to expose some good players.

The new team will have the odds of the 28th place team so the same odds the Canucks had this year. They will also regardless of the position they finish in the standings be guaranteed at minimum the 28th place odds for the next 4 drafts.

This part i really don't agree with and I am quite pissed about it. lol the oilers should be pissed about it as well. basically teams like the canucks who are trying to rebuild have to wait a whole lot longer while a new team strolls in and looks pretty.

5 minutes ago, SedinMadness said:

This part i really don't agree with and I am quite pissed about it. lol the oilers should be pissed about it as well. basically teams like the canucks who are trying to rebuild have to wait a whole lot longer while a new team strolls in and looks pretty.

The team's prospect pool will be empty. I think they want Vegas to focus on putting together a competitive roster and not spend a few years tanking to accumulate talent. Every sign points to the NHL trying to help the team hit the ground running.

Nordiques former fan here living in Quebec city. You know who's the source of this story? Alex Burrows :-) He was on the radio the other day and since he is the Canucks NHLPA representative, he had a lot of interesting info. 

According to what I read, Quebec will probably get confirmation of a team coming in the near future too (2 or 3 years). The league want to see first what happen with the Coyotes and the Hurricanes I guess. Lot of rumor that Quebecor and Karmanos were trying to reach a deal.

Hmm, so for my Jets:

Forwards:

- Scheifele

- Wheeler

- Little

- Lowry

- Dano

- *Perreault* (if signed)

- ???

Defense:

- Buff

- Myers/Trouba

- Enstrom (barf)

Goalie:

- Hellebuyck

Not Needing Protection:

- Ehlers

- Laine

- Morrissey

- Comrie

- Connor

- Roslovic

- Poolman

That leaves the biggest question for them this off-season, Trouba/Myers. Unless they can find a taker for Enstrom and his modified NMC, they'll be forced to keep him around. This increases the likelihood of a Trouba/Myers trade (likely to an Eastern team).

14 minutes ago, thepouet said:

Nordiques former fan here living in Quebec city. You know who's the source of this story? Alex Burrows :-) He was on the radio the other day and since he is the Canucks NHLPA representative, he had a lot of interesting info. 

According to what I read, Quebec will probably get confirmation of a team coming in the near future too (2 or 3 years). The league want to see first what happen with the Coyotes and the Hurricanes I guess. Lot of rumor that Quebecor and Karmanos were trying to reach a deal.

I hope so. I think there needs to be more Canadian teams and Quebec should get there's back. I was happy to see Winnipeg get the Jets back and would love to see the Nordiques too.

One thing I was looking for that was mentioned in the initial rumours was that an expansion team could only draft from each team once. That'd mean each team could only lose one player per expansion team, but I see no mention of it here.

1 hour ago, Toews said:

REGARDING QUEBEC CITY:
- Will be excluded from this round of expansion
- Economics of hockey in Quebec not favorable fr a team at the moment, but Quebecor made a very good impression on the NHL.
- Possibility that this isn't a hard "no", but a "let's wait and see". 
- Quebec possibly the leading candidate in case a team needs to be moved. 

Meanwhile in Arizona

12 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

One thing I was looking for that was mentioned in the initial rumours was that an expansion team could only draft from each team once. That'd mean each team could only lose one player per expansion team, but I see no mention of it here.

Interested in this as well. Would be good to know that we would only lose 1 player max.

I wonder if this will affect free agency this year. I'd imagine that a player who would usually ask for an NTC will now be looking for and NMC (maybe making them willing to move on $ amount?) so as not to get picked up by Las Vegas next season. 

Depending on who we go after/land, it could very well affect who we protect as well..

54 minutes ago, Toews said:

Stolen off of HF. The article is in French but I stole the translation from user "BonkTastic" on the Ottawa Senators sub forum.

Highlights of the article:
- Vegas will start play in 2017/18
- Play in the Pacific division 
- Leading candidate for team name is "Black Knights", though not yet confirmed. 
- Expansion draft will be next off-season, BEFORE the Entry Draft (June 20th)
- Apparently have already completed negotiations with the NHLPA regarding expansion rules. That's done. Both sides have agreed. 
- Expansion draft protection list follows previously rumored format: 7F/3D/1G or "Any 8". 
- Teams will be forced to protect players with No-Move Clauses. Not forced to protect players with No-Trade Clauses. 
- The NHL has dropped the "Teams must leave 25% of their payroll unprotected" criteria that had been previously discussed. 
- Players with 2 or less Pro Seasons will be exempt from the draft.
- Players who have retired due to injury but still have active contracts (Pronger, Horton, etc...) will be exempt from the draft. 
- All teams are required to leave at least 2 F and 1D who are under contract for the 2017/18 season unprotected, who played at least 40 games last year (or 70 games over the last 2 years).
- Las Vegas will draft 30 players, at least 20 of whom MUST be under contract for the 2017-18 season (to reduce the likelihood of shenanigans)
- Las Vegas will NOT be allowed to buy out any players in it's first season (to reduce the likelihood of shenanigans).

-Also expiring contracts with NMC will not need to be protected.

Great post,.  I'm hearing an announcement to be made soon on this, some meetings today in NYC.  

... Didn't know that the French would dare use the Irish term of "SHENANIGANS".. ;) 

Yes !! That's great news for this sport. Another team within a great and typical hockey areal. :rolleyes:

That's an absolutely joke. Bettman see only $$$. Halifax, Quebec, Seattle, maybe Regina and St John would be a much better place for a hockey team than LAS VEGAS.

I think players with under 200 NHL games experience should be exempt., I am also not really liking how they will have the 28th overall odds for the draft. I think 25-20th would be a lot more fair.

Archived