The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(RDS Article) Las Vegas Expansion 2017/18 Confirmed

Toews

11 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Great.

Way to discourage game fixing.

By placing an NHL team in the hub of a Mafia controlled city which is fueled by gambling.

:rolleyes:

I don't believe the Mafia has controlled Vegas in over 20 years. Those guys are all dead or in jail. 

Just now, Harvey Spector said:

I don't believe the Mafia has controlled Vegas in over 20 years. Those guys are all dead or in jail. 

That's kind of like saying the Cold War is over.

It never ended. Just changed faces.

43 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Black Knights???

Oh God please NO!!!!

What about something new like the Las Vegas Black Jacks or Las Vegas Straight Flush's?

Wait, I have the perfect name that's both fresh and exciting... the Las Vegas Posse. 

Nevada Nymphos?? I thought we all agreed on this????

Guys? Good name, right???

10 minutes ago, suitup said:

Wow with that post you really ARE a Dark Poet.

maybe i should change my name to Black Knight ? .......... lol

seriously. the Black Knights? what is this, $#@'n Game of Thrones? :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The team will probably be horrible in the first 3-4 seasons anyways, so them getting minimum 28th in the draft likely won't change much since they'll likely finish bottom 5 anyways.

If they're going to be in the Pacific division that means if Seattle gets a team they'll need to move one team out. It would likely be the Coyotes moving to the central division I would think.

Not necessarily, the NHL is a lot deeper with players than it has been in previous expansion drafts, so I think they would probably get a better team built than most people would expect. Also depends on if certain guys like Bishop or Fleury get traded or not, since they may not be protected by Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh once the expansion draft comes around. They'll probably struggle for at least the first season or 2 anyway, but I think they can still build at least not a horrible team, the only issue really is that they'll have a little or no prospect pool immediately, depends what pick they land at the 2017 draft I guess. 

1 minute ago, darkpoet said:

maybe i should change my name to Black Knight ? .......... lol

seriously. the Black Knights? what is this, $#@'n Game of Thrones? :rolleyes:

Hahaha honestly I kind of liked the name someone else mentioned earlier, the Las Vegas Black Jacks. Very fitting for the city and it's culture. 

This will be the final nail in the coffin of my life as a NHL hockey fan.  Hello CHL, hopefully TSN can get some rights going.  Odds Vegas wins a Cup before Vancouver?

Edit:  Atleast call then the Corruption.  Las Vegas Corruption vs. Vancouver Canucks 

6 minutes ago, proheffanol said:

Not necessarily, the NHL is a lot deeper with players than it has been in previous expansion drafts, so I think they would probably get a better team built than most people would expect. Also depends on if certain guys like Bishop or Fleury get traded or not, since they may not be protected by Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh once the expansion draft comes around. They'll probably struggle for at least the first season or 2 anyway, but I think they can still build at least not a horrible team, the only issue really is that they'll have a little or no prospect pool immediately, depends what pick they land at the 2017 draft I guess. 

No prospect pool means once injuries hit they'll have no decent call ups.

Attracting quality free agents will be tough too since I doubt any players with families wanna raise their kids there. I can't imagine what having 18 year old rookies playing in Las Vegas will be like either. 

Unless they draft a generational talent right off the bat, I don't see how they don't struggle for the first 4 years.

I am pretty sure when they say pro, they will mean any pro league including the KHL.  The team will need prospects and younger players and there has to be a way to furnish that.

They will be picking up 30 players not including anyone they pick up in free agency that offseason, yet only have 23 roster spots.  That means they have to get guys who aren't in the NHL (you can't expect them to have to trade away or waive all those players right away).

The having great chances for the top picks is reasonable, they are starting with literally no farm team prospects like we have in the system.  They will cobble together some over-agers and maybe a couple college free agents initially, but they will fail miserably unless they have a way to get players in the pipeline for the next few years that can fill in behind expiring contracts.

1 minute ago, suitup said:

Hahaha honestly I kind of liked the name someone else mentioned earlier, the Las Vegas Black Jacks. Very fitting for the city and it's culture. 

How about the Las Vegas Craps ?

Here, I fashioned a jersey....

4rrlzm.jpg

Wow. This means that we are going to see a lot of interesting trades this off season up until the expansion draft.

F: Daniel, Henrik, Horvat, Sutter, Baertschi, Hansen, and whoever we sign via UFA, for example, Eriksson.

D: Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson

G: Markstrom

Next season will be the 2nd season for Hutton and Virtanen so they are exempt. Tryamkin is probably exempt.

So this means that we might as well trade Sbisa either this off season or by the TDL next season. 

Archived