The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(RDS Article) Las Vegas Expansion 2017/18 Confirmed

Toews

2 hours ago, darkpoet said:

This came out yesterday.

Apparently Carolina could be relocated to Vegas which would negate the need for a draft.

That would be best i think. I disagree with a draft that sucks talent out of other established teams within the same league.

There are LOTS of other hockey markets around the world to pull players/free agents from. Finding 20-30 would be easy. Leave the NHL alone ffs

http://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/report_carolina_hurricanes_could_relocate_to_vegas/s1_10240_21055267

I would prefer the nhl moving teams that are not working out to better markets then just making new markets while these other ones flounder around.

My guess is since Las Vegas is getting the expansion team and in the west, Carolina will be moved to Quebec in the coming year, and the next expansion team will be Seattle! Which would make the league's divisions and conference formations make a lot more sense, all while giving the more lucrative "new expansion team" conditions to the american markets. 

16 minutes ago, Professor.of.Perception said:

My guess is since Las Vegas is getting the expansion team and in the west, Carolina will be moved to Quebec in the coming year, and the next expansion team will be Seattle! Which would make the league's divisions and conference formations make a lot more sense, all while giving the more lucrative "new expansion team" conditions to the american markets. 

According to rumor, the problem right now is that Karmanos wants to keep the majority ownership in the team but Quebecor is not interested to be just a partner. Karmanos is running out of money so it may have no choice but to sell.

I think we will leave Edler exposed honestly.  Not that he isn't a good D, but Benning seems to be re-working the D into an entirely different style.

I see us moving on from Edler and Sbisa over the next couple of years and slotting in a couple of offensive minded guys into those slots to go with the complementary stay at home ones we now have in the fold.

XXX- Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-XXX

6 hours ago, elvis15 said:

One thing I was looking for that was mentioned in the initial rumours was that an expansion team could only draft from each team once. That'd mean each team could only lose one player per expansion team, but I see no mention of it here.

That's what I'm assuming as well.  However, when has Buttman ever been fair to certain "cough" teams?

2 hours ago, Provost said:

I think we will leave Edler exposed honestly.  Not that he isn't a good D, but Benning seems to be re-working the D into an entirely different style.

I see us moving on from Edler and Sbisa over the next couple of years and slotting in a couple of offensive minded guys into those slots to go with the complementary stay at home ones we now have in the fold.

XXX- Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-XXX

Or perhaps tell him that before the draft, and ask him if he'd prefer to waive for somewhere that might guarantee protection him this year. 

6 hours ago, Toews said:

The team's prospect pool will be empty. I think they want Vegas to focus on putting together a competitive roster and not spend a few years tanking to accumulate talent. Every sign points to the NHL trying to help the team hit the ground running.

So then build a good management team learn how to draft. If they hit the ground running with a decent roster there's no reason why can't expect to be middle of the pack. 

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding though. They get 28th place odds for 1st overall? Or are slotted in the 3rd overall with a guarantee to drop no lower than 5th overall?

I can see that regardless of their standings they would get 28th place odds to win, but if they didn't they would just revert back to their original slot in the standings.

I don't know, Las Vegas being gifted no worse than 5th or 6th overall for the next 4 years would be bull$&!#. I don't care if they don't have a prospect pool, you can try to draft and develop one the same way other teams do.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

XXX- Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-XXX

Does Edler have a NMC, aren't we forced to protect those players? Maybe I am misunderstanding the rules or Edler doesn't have NMC. Either way we likely protect him imo.

6 hours ago, the last outlaw said:

NHL in another U.S. market that will fail once again. But lets not add anymore Canadian teams, and I don't know what the story is with Seattle.

Story is the Seattle council voted 4-3 no for nhl and nba stadium downtown. 4 council that voted no were female, 3 that voted yes were male. 

46 minutes ago, Green Building said:

So then build a good management team learn how to draft. If they hit the ground running with a decent roster there's no reason why can't expect to be middle of the pack. 

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding though. They get 28th place odds for 1st overall? Or are slotted in the 3rd overall with a guarantee to drop no lower than 5th overall?

I can see that regardless of their standings they would get 28th place odds to win, but if they didn't they would just revert back to their original slot in the standings.

I don't know, Las Vegas being gifted no worse than 5th or 6th overall for the next 4 years would be bull$&!#. I don't care if they don't have a prospect pool, you can try to draft and develop one the same way other teams do.

I have no problems giving them 28th odds the first year, but I don't like the odds 4 years in a row.  If they finish last in year 2, give them 30th place odds.  If they finish 12th, give them 12th place odds.

Canucks better figure out what their plan for Sbisa and Hansen are soon.  After this year, their  value will be zilch.

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I have no problems giving them 28th odds the first year, but I don't like the odds 4 years in a row.  If they finish last in year 2, give them 30th place odds.  If they finish 12th, give them 12th place odds.

Canucks better figure out what their plan for Sbisa and Hansen are soon.  After this year, their  value will be zilch.

Me neither. After year 1 though you are a part of the organic standings flow and should deal with it accordingly. I think this is they year decisions are made on Sbisa, Hansen I would honestly say that the decision is already here: the guy stays.

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Does Edler have a NMC, aren't we forced to protect those players? Maybe I am misunderstanding the rules or Edler doesn't have NMC. Either way we likely protect him imo.

According the Fanager he has a NTC and not a NMC.

The only NMCs on the team are the Sedins.

Archived