The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Right Moves vs Wrong Moves: Jannik Hansen

JibberishJones

Let me preface this by saying I love Jannik Hansen, I have since that series against Dallas where he first emerged, but I would also love to trade Hansen.

I will also preface this by saying that when a team is in a rebuild/retool on the fly, like we are, you do not need to make all of the right moves, you just can't make any of the wrong moves -- remember this. 

Trading Jannik is super tempting, mostly because we over value him and think every GM would jump at the opp of acquiring him. However, trading Hansen is the wrong move here -- let me explain why.

We have heard since the beginning of this rebuild/retool/crazy adventure that, at all costs, we can not follow Edmonton (and others) into the rebuilding basement of disgrace -- trading players like Hansen is how to end up in that basement, we have seen it happen, it is science. 

Last season, and almost every season prior, Hansen is one of two or three players that noticeably gives 'his all' every game, this rubs off on young players and old players -- Bo mentioned it several times in his first season that he had to constantly work on his game/speed to keep up with Jannik. Sedins mentioned the energy he brings multiple times last year as well. We all watch him, we know his game.

Hansen teaches work ethic, professionalism, and proves that with hard work and focus you can wind up on a top line on an NHL team. He is the american dream of the NHL (exaggerating, but think about it). Nobody leads by example on this team like Hansen does, not even the twins, and if he were to be moved we would notice his absence BIG TIME.

Edmonton traded away all of their Hansen-type players, not sure they had anyone super comparable, but you see what I am getting at. Players like Hansen are STILL the backbone of this team, the young kids need players like Hansen, he provides stability, consistency, mentorship, proves the importance of a well-rounded game -- TELL ME THIS ISN'T IMPORTANT. 

IMO you move other dead weight pieces, not the guy giving his all and setting the bar above the rest of the roster. 

Feel free to disagree, it's one player vs many different opinions, but I think what Hansen brings to the table as far as development and leadership out weighs what we MIGHT get from the picks and/or prospects we would get in return. 

Thanks,

Jib

20 minutes ago, JibberishJones said:

Let me preface this by saying I love Jannik Hansen, I have since that series against Dallas where he first emerged, but I would also love to trade Hansen.

I will also preface this by saying that when a team is in a rebuild/retool on the fly, like we are, you do not need to make all of the right moves, you just can't make any of the wrong moves -- remember this. 

Trading Jannik is super tempting, mostly because we over value him and think every GM would jump at the opp of acquiring him. However, trading Hansen is the wrong move here -- let me explain why.

We have heard since the beginning of this rebuild/retool/crazy adventure that, at all costs, we can not follow Edmonton (and others) into the rebuilding basement of disgrace -- trading players like Hansen is how to end up in that basement, we have seen it happen, it is science. 

Last season, and almost every season prior, Hansen is one of two or three players that noticeably gives 'his all' every game, this rubs off on young players and old players -- Bo mentioned it several times in his first season that he had to constantly work on his game/speed to keep up with Jannik. Sedins mentioned the energy he brings multiple times last year as well. We all watch him, we know his game.

Hansen teaches work ethic, professionalism, and proves that with hard work and focus you can wind up on a top line on an NHL team. He is the american dream of the NHL (exaggerating, but think about it). Nobody leads by example on this team like Hansen does, not even the twins, and if he were to be moved we would notice his absence BIG TIME.

Edmonton traded away all of their Hansen-type players, not sure they had anyone super comparable, but you see what I am getting at. Players like Hansen are STILL the backbone of this team, the young kids need players like Hansen, he provides stability, consistency, mentorship, proves the importance of a well-rounded game -- TELL ME THIS ISN'T IMPORTANT. 

IMO you move other dead weight pieces, not the guy giving his all and setting the bar above the rest of the roster. 

Feel free to disagree, it's one player vs many different opinions, but I think what Hansen brings to the table as far as development and leadership out weighs what we MIGHT get from the picks and/or prospects we would get in return. 

Thanks,

Jib

I couldn't agree more. Great post. +1

Agree with much of the OP. 

I think the only way a Hansen trade is an option is if we know we're signing a quality UFA winger. And that signing would need to be significant enough to offset the loss of Hansen or even potentially upgrade his roster spot (which would require signing one of the truly premiere UFAs this summer).

In that situation, I'd be open to hearing offers (well, I'd be open to hearing offers anyway, just unlikely to accept without us also signing somebody else). But if we could cash in for the future, while not sacrificing the competitiveness of the current roster, then I think you have to look at the option.

And that's pretty tough for me to say because Hansen has been my favourite player for a long time now. I'd absolutely hate to see him go.

The OP makes a strong point regarding Hansen's work ethic and compete level, which are among the highest on the team. His influence and mentorship ability really cannot be overstated. And he's emerged the past couple seasons as one of the more vocal leaders in the room.

The value would have to be very high (both for the trade return and the UFA winger we added) before a Hansen move is any kind of option IMO.

3 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

You could have just added this as a counter point in the other thread: 

I see, wasn't intentional. More or less trying to generate a discussion on right moves vs wrong moves, using Hansen as a case or example. Thanks for pointing this out though!

It's guys like Hansen and Dorsett (without talking about his contract here) who give their all every night that give a team a lot of character. It sets an example and the tone for the rest of the team. I'm looking forward to seeing how Dorsett can contribute now that we finally have some toughness on the team and he doesn't have to be the only guy fighting. Moving either of these guys would be the wrong move at the moment. These are some of the players that make a team deep (providing we find a legit first line rw to play with the Sedins).

3 hours ago, JibberishJones said:

I see, wasn't intentional. More or less trying to generate a discussion on right moves vs wrong moves, using Hansen as a case or example. Thanks for pointing this out though!

Nah, your post was deserving of its own thread, why lump it into that other thread where it gets lost in page 6 lol

Excellent post, couldn't agree more. Hansen has speed, toughness, do-it-all type mentality, is on a great contract and like you said he provides leadership and work ethic. 

Why not trade him for a late first and just sign him back in 2 years when he's a free agent after the expansion draft? Gaining a first round pick, an extra roster spot to save from the expansion and just resign him when he becomes a free agent. Also with the comments of Troy Brouwer who has offensively outproduced Hansen every year we could replace Hansen for those couple years with Brouwer.

To me, I see Hansen as being the "X-factor" in a playoff series, he has incredible speed, a weapon on the PK and can play up and down the line-up. If we can put together a contending team over the off-season and make it into the playoffs, Hansen will be the key guy in the long run. If we can put together a legit top 6 and have Hansen on the 3rd line we will be golden. 

Sedin - Sedin - Okposo

Lucic/Ladd - Sutter - Rodin

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

tell me you dont think that top 9 is a legit contender. I really dont think this team is all that far off from contending. Last year was a an anomally with all of the injuries which turned out to be a blessing in disguise, we are grabbing a top 5 pick and it has let Benning address the areas where we are weak. Now we have a legit top 4 dman in Gudbranson, we have brought Tryamkin over and he is adapting to the NA surface and game and Markstrom has showcased what he can do in the absence of Miller.

All in all, if we can sign atleast two of the big names on forward in FA we should keep Hansen for sure, we will have an incredible top 9.

Call me crazy but I have a really good feeling about this upcoming year, I haven't had this feeling or been as excited since the 2010/11 season. I have the exact feeling about this upcoming season and it is going to be magical!

Archived