The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Bass Player

Rate this topic

Best Bass Player  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, falcon45ca said:

It's a bass cover of The Monkees...ya know, that band that Pete Tork played bass for?:picard:

You don't even know the players in your own list! For shame, being a poser is so '90's. 

What a lazy comment! Yes, Peter Tork played bass on many songs. But he did not play on Last Train To Clarksville! That part was played by Larry Taylor.  I'll await your retraction. Cue bass solo!

1 hour ago, cabinessence said:

What a lazy comment! Yes, Peter Tork played bass on many songs. But he did not play on Last Train To Clarksville! That part was played by Larry Taylor.  I'll await your retraction. Cue bass solo!

While the Candy Store Prophets did write and record backing tracks for many Monkees songs (Boyce and Hart wrote that song themselves), Carol Kaye was the bassist on that session. There's even an interview with her discussing that songs tempo vs lyrical mood.

Go back to the farm, you're not ready for the big league yet.

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Hahah honestly.  

These lists you make are just garbage.  

Where is Les Claypool?   The one he has been called the worlds best bass player for years and years.  

Get a clue man. 

Claypool was my first thought as to who would be on the list and who I'd vote for...though I think he usually humbly passes the discussion on to Geddy Lee does he not...I've certainly listened to a lot more Primus than Rush, but Leslie probably knows more than I

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, falcon45ca said:

While the Candy Store Prophets did write and record backing tracks for many Monkees songs (Boyce and Hart wrote that song themselves), Carol Kaye was the bassist on that session. There's even an interview with her discussing that songs tempo vs lyrical mood.

Go back to the farm, you're not ready for the big league yet.

Wrong. It is well documented within musician circles that Carl Kaye has claimed to play on far more tracks than she actually did. Taker a look at this link for just one of many examples, such as the aforementioned Last Rrain To Clarksville:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=23177.0

According to the union sheets, she was not at the session. She has been called on many of these sessions and has been proven wrong. Regardless, you thought it was Peter Tork before you googled it, right? Bass keeps playing!

http://www.monkeeslivealmanac.com/blog/candy-store-prophet-drummer-talks-to-the-monkees-hour

38 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

. Regardless, you thought it was Peter Tork before you googled it, right? Bass keeps playing!

Of course I did, I'm not a Monkees officiando...you didn't know he was referencing a bass player in your own list!

I understand that you think the bass is cool & wish you could play, but you should just buy one and practice instead of trolling.

21 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

The list is still poor, even only considering currently alive bass players. 

Victor Wooten, Billy Sheehan, Anthony Jackson, Bobby Vega...I could go on and on.

You are a bass enthusiast perhaps, but you're not ready for the big leagues.

I second Victor Wooten when you listen to him play it's like you are listening to the sound of someone's soul.  Amazing player. And I'm a death metal guy.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, falcon45ca said:

Of course I did, I'm not a Monkees officiando...you didn't know he was referencing a bass player in your own list!

I understand that you think the bass is cool & wish you could play, but you should just buy one and practice instead of trolling.

Yes I knew. I am one of the better informed posters here,remember?  One doesn't get numerous award winning threads for nothing.  Buy another bass?  I'm a bass expert,but not a millionaire. Can you dig it? Special thanks to all those who keep sending the 5 star ratings! 

12 hours ago, luckylager said:

Seing as Wooten's been claimed-

Iron Maiden's, Steve Harris.

One of the things we all love about these threads are how new ideas get brought to the table. A perfect example is mentioning Harris, who is a great player, but wasn't initially added to the people's top 10. Amazing stuff, really feeling the love!

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, cabinessence said:

One of the things we all love about these threads are how new ideas get brought to the table. A perfect example is mentioning Harris, who is a great player, but wasn't initially added to the people's top 10. Amazing stuff, really feeling the love!

Cabby, that is probably why your threads generate 5 stars my man......you have the ability to elicit opinions from all types of posters, hence your nearly exhaustive list! 

I was not a bass solo guy before, but I sure am now! Some great vids and names mentioned for me to research!  

• Upvote 1
On 6/9/2016 at 9:55 PM, cabinessence said:

This poll is getting out f control. Let's just stick the top chosen 10 folks.

Problem is, Geddy and possibly Jones are the only ones who belong on the list.... 

If you want to change the thread title to "Which of these randomly chosen bassists is the best", then I vote Geddy Lee.